BR1600CD - using tracks 9-16

mohan

I have recently bought a Boss BR1600CD and have been able to do some recordings quite easily. However, I am not sure how to do live microphone recordings on tracks 9-16. The inputs on the back of the recorder default to tracks 1-8. I want to record live first on tracks 1-8 and then overdub some tracks on say track 10 and 11.

I don't believe you can record directly to those tracks. I believe you have to record 1-8, then either move them over to 9-16, and then record more stuff on 1-8, or 'bounce' them over to 9-16 and then record 1-8. While I have experimented with this a little, I haven't had the true need to do it so I've not looked into it any further. You might be able to receive input from 1-8 even in 'bounce' mode (as opposed to input mode), and then you would be bouncing them directly to 9-16 (assuming those were your bounce tracks). It is something I 'assumed' you could do when I bought mine, but I now have my doubts.

Steve

Yes, you can record to 15/16. When starting a new song, you have to chose what can of recording you want, this on pg 22 of the smaller manual. Than press the multi-track button in Input Select section.

Intersting...I will have to look at that. Based on your comment, is this choice made ONLY at song creation time? Does that then mean you can't record on 1-8 if this 9-16 choice is made?

Steve

Steve,
I think so, you know how you chose 'New Song' in Utilities and it gives you a chose of track recording options, i.e audio, bass, drums or loop. If you chose audio, and press Multi-Track than all 16 tracks are clear to record on. But, the catch is 9/10, 11/12, 13/14, 15/16 are stereo pairs and can't be unlinked.

I emailed Roland's Laura Tyson about this her reply was:

Hey Tony,

Glad you like the BR-1600!

You can record first across Tracks 1 - 8, and then when those tracks are
filled, use Tracks 9 - 16.
It is not possible to unlink the stereo tracks, and for the most part, you
wouldn't *want* to, as you should reserve
the stereo tracks for recording any of the following:

The L/R Output of any Keyboard, sound module, drum machine... anything
that has a Left & Right output should *always* be
recorded to one of the Stereo Tracks, in order to maintain the integrity
and spaciousness of the stereo info.

Anytime you record an acoustic drum kit and use two mics over the overheads
- these should be recorded to one
of the stereo tracks.

Anytime you record an acoustic piano with 2 microphones - ditto.

Any time you record something from a CD Player, cassette deck, or similar -
ditto.

Hope that helps! I can't give you any specifics / button presses because
I don't have
a BR anywhere near me - I won't until Thursday at the soonest.

Laura Tyson
Roland Corporation US

sp_clark said:
Intersting...I will have to look at that. Based on your comment, is this choice made ONLY at song creation time? Does that then mean you can't record on 1-8 if this 9-16 choice is made?

Steve

It is still not clear to me how you direct the 'input' of 1-8 over to actually record on 9/16. I believe I tried this once to no avail. If it can be done, I'd love to learn how! The only thing I remember in the new song setup is the loop/drum/bass decisions. So if you choose NOT do use any of those, certainly those tracks become AUDIO tracks. And I know how to move other recorded audio tracks over there, but I don't know how to record directly to them.

Steve

I just armed the tracks and recorded to them. I'll check again later, I'm not in front of the recorder right now.

Cool. For some reason I thought I had tried that in the past and it didn't work. I'll have to give it a shot again.

72fender said:
I just armed the tracks and recorded to them. I'll check again later, I'm not in front of the recorder right now.

Thanks for the replies. I had a look at the manual again and it suggests you can record to tracks 9-16 from the inputs. I haven't tried it yet but it said that when you are in input mode, tracks 1-8 will flash and if you press a track button from 9-16 then the inputs will change to tracks 9-16. WIll try it out tonight when I get home!

Ok, tracks 9/10 - 15/16 are linked together as stereo tracks. When you press the Multi-Track button, you have the option of recording to tracks 1 - 8 or 9/10 - 15/16, just like mohan pointed out above. If you chose tracks 9/10 - 15/16, than inputs 1 & 2 are recorded to tracks 9/10, inputs 3 & 4 are recorded to tracks 11/12, etc, etc. I did try recording with just one input, here I chose tracks 9/10 and plugged my guitar into Input 1. The recording was only in the left speaker, i.e track 9 only, as a mono track. I was able to center the track by using the pan knob.

This is what Laura Tyson was talking about in the response to my email. I plan to record my drummer using four mics; kick, snare and two overhead mics. I should use a pair of stereo tracks to record the overhead mics for a good stereo spread.

What a great site this is. Alas, I can record on all 16 tracks!!!! Thanks for all the help from everyone!!!!

Steve

Back