Boss BR-1180 nightmare

Madder

I have this digital recording studio. It has a hard drive etc, but no CD burner. I have over 30 songs recorded onto it. I've been putting things down on it for the past 4 years, I think.

Last night, when playing back a track for mixing, it stopped. I turned it off and back on(usually this solves the problem and it loads up the song it was last on). This time when it came back on, all the lights were lit up red. I cannot use the studio at all. I pray to God that the hard drive isn't blanked? Can anyone help me to save my recordings? I called the shop where it was bought and they are saying that they can send it off to Roland/Boss to be fixed or replaced at a cost etc., but if there is any way at all to save whats on the hard drive, I'd like to do it? Can anyone help?

Thanks.

There are companies in every city that specialize in data rescue and focus on hard drives from inoperable machines.

The don't work cheap though, so be prepared to go out of pocket if your 30 songs are really worth it to you.

This is like any other computer hard drive in the sense that it contains data. Unless you have gone into the commands on the machine and specifically commanded the hard drive to be formatted your data SHOULD be safe. Not guaranteed, but should be.

Take the hard drive out of the machine --- if possible --- and keep it if you do decide to ship the machine back to the manufacturer for service. If you can't find how to remove the hard drive on your own, ask the Roland tech service HQ for help. And don't panic --- this is not an uncommon situation.

What failed on your machine was almost certainly the operating system for the unit itself and should not affect the carefully constructed data on the hard drive. If you do need to call Roland, you should ask if they can provide you with a power-up reinitialization routine --- meaning a button combination on the machine you press while powering up the machine to reset it to it's initial state and whether or not there is a possible battery issue involved.

Do any of the buttons work or is the machine locked up when you turn it on?

Can you open any songs?

Do any of the buttons work or is the machine locked up when you turn it on?

Can you open any songs?

Firstly, thanks to SSScientist. I have some hope now, so thank you.

To answer Wish14's question, all the buttons are lit up red. I can do nothing with the machine at all. Cannot open any songs. That's the biggest problem of all cos I want to keep them.

Dude, I wish you all the luck on fixing your problem. I'm sorry I don't have any input regarding your problem. I know what a bummer it can be to lose all sorts of stuff. Good luck and give us an update...I hope this doesn't happen with my 1180,

Dude, I wish you all the luck on fixing your problem. I'm sorry I don't have any input regarding your problem. I know what a bummer it can be to lose all sorts of stuff. Good luck and give us an update...I hope this doesn't happen with my 1180,

Thanks pal. Best advice I can give you is to keep your music backed up. I've taken this valuable information from this experience!

I will of course try to save the info on my hard drive and I will come back with an update whenever I know for sure.

Well, unfortunately Roland say the hard drive is gone! Threw the towel in and bought a BR 1600. AT least I can record 8 tracks at once and I have the CD burner this time, but at 1250 euros(here in Ireland) it has cost a lot!

Well, unfortunately Roland say the hard drive is gone! Threw the towel in and bought a BR 1600. AT least I can record 8 tracks at once and I have the CD burner this time, but at 1250 euros(here in Ireland) it has cost a lot!

You will love the BR1600. :) :) :) :) :)

Don't throw the old br-1180 out yet. There's a way to backup the drive, if it isn't completely dead. And you can also replace the hard drive with a new one easily. I made a guide, google "juho-eric boss br-1180". I can't post the link since I haven't made 5 posts yet...

Back