Booking terminology help

ChristopherM

I've been presented with this in an email regarding a booking:

cover is $7 or $5 w/ a flyer. you can try to walk it up or you
can have 100 tickets for $100.00. all the extras are for you to blow up
your band! let me know if that works for you.

OK. What does "walk it up" mean?

Also, what is being referred to as "all the extras are for you to blow up your band?" Does this mean I can buy the tix and sell them or give them away?

I'm going to email back for clarification, but I thought I would try this forum first to avoid looking like an arse.

ChristopherM said:
I've been presented with this in an email regarding a booking:

OK. What does "walk it up" mean?

Also, what is being referred to as "all the extras are for you to blow up your band?" Does this mean I can buy the tix and sell them or give them away?

I'm going to email back for clarification, but I thought I would try this forum first to avoid looking like an arse.

I think what this means is that you have a door deal. You get what comes in of off of the cover charge . Have someone there to monitor the door.
$7.00....$5.00 with Flyer ( bar must do some street advertising this is a good way for them to see how effective the flyers are )

Walk it up.........this is if you are ok with all of the above and you think you will get a good walk up crowd at the door

Tickets.....incentive for you to make money and fill the club with people. If the tickets are numbered and have $7.00 on them this will work out well as people love to get a deal and there is always a perceived value to the show when you sell tickets.

... pashop pretty much nailed it. i'm gonna take an educated guess that this club is in los angeles or san diego. god, i hate the politics of booking in southern cali, especially la:)
best of luck - jv

johneeeveee said:
... pashop pretty much nailed it. i'm gonna take an educated guess that this club is in los angeles or san diego. god, i hate the politics of booking in southern cali, especially la:)
best of luck - jv

Thanks guys...

And, by the way, you "nailed it" on the location, Los Angeles.

ChristopherM said:
Thanks guys...

And, by the way, you "nailed it" on the location, Los Angeles.

yeah, i figured that was the case. la is probably the only city that has that protocol in most clubs (along with asking people at the door who they are there to see perform that night ).
where are ya playing in la? i'd be happy to pass along any clubs that i have found to be cool.
peace - jv.

you don't have to pay to play in Chicago (though you might be playing for free) but you definitely have to say who you're there to see.

stonepiano said:
you don't have to pay to play in Chicago (though you might be playing for free) but you definitely have to say who you're there to see.
You mean as an audience member, they ask who you've come to see? That makes perfect sense, actually. A good way for a club to judge a draw.

It's hard to build a decent draw as a solo artist. Even when you consider friends and family, a band with five members multiplies that by five. Also, being a slightly-better-than-average (read; not "hot") 37-year old guy doesn't bring in the young 20's female crowds that clubs crave so much. Maybe I should start a band with a bunch of young studs and a hot chick :D

ChristopherM said:
You mean as an audience member, they ask who you've come to see? That makes perfect sense, actually. A good way for a club to judge a draw.

That's exactly what I mean. My last band did a gig where we were the hometown support to a nationally touring band. We drew about 150 or so heads, the vast majority coming from our camp. If we didn't have the, "who did you come to see?" rule in place, we most certainly would have been majorly stiffed.

ChristopherM said:
It's hard to build a decent draw as a solo artist. Even when you consider friends and family, a band with five members multiplies that by five. Also, being a slightly-better-than-average (read; not "hot") 37-year old guy doesn't bring in the young 20's female crowds that clubs crave so much. Maybe I should start a band with a bunch of young studs and a hot chick :D

It's funny you mention that too, Chris. That last band just went down the toilet over Christmas and I'm auditioning for a new band of all pretty boys doing alt country. Wonder how a chub like myself will fit in. :)

Back