The Reconfiguration Project (album related critique)

K-dub

As I mentioned previously, I'm rearranging all of my albums into new collections. Over the years, my pattern of releasing material has generally leaned towards, "What I have completed so far up to the date", and it has led to a somewhat haphazard piecemeal approach to the collections, resulting in albums that on occasion paired Metallica with Cat Stevens in collection presentation - odd pairings to say the least.

A comprehensive step back, plucking from here and there among the works to achieve a more "cohesive" assemblage - along w/ remixing and remastering - and in some cases, re-arranging the works completely, was (to my mind) called for.

It's not like I'm conflating "Dark side of the Moon" w/ "Wish you were here" - in mish mosh of treasured art works.

I'm an unknown artist, and I can do whatever I fuckin' want. :D

"Retrospectful (redux)" (Respect to retro) hearkens back to the songwriting style of the 70s. Think Beatles White Album, Eagles, or James Taylor and similar whatever.

So ... no need to comment individually on any track. I'm looking more towards:

> Do all the selections work together - even in sequence?
> Does the collection flow well from front to back?
> Is it "paced" well? Does it plod or slow too much in any one place or another?
> Does the mastering work - meaning do any tracks appear too loud/too soft against the other?
> Is there any piece you'd take out?

Stuff like that.

There will be snacks! :D

I'm not kidding. Anyone who comments and helps is free to download the release. LMK and I'll PM a link to the wav files.

Thanks in advance for extra set of ears! Eventually I'm going to Spotify the new releases in their new forms, and this is the "pre-release" pilot group part of making sure everything is properly readied to go.

You have some very fine recordings. Very good musicianship and pro-level recording. Very nice.

The songs I heard seemed to fit together very well.

You have some very fine recordings. Very good musicianship and pro-level recording. Very nice.

The songs I heard seemed to fit together very well.
The rearrangement of everything has been a massive undertaking - and I'm still not going to make a wooden nickel off of anything.

But eventually, hopefully, I'll get everything into what I want to leave behind for posterity's sake as my musical record.

I joined the board in 2004 w/ nary a clue how to record.

I'm FINALLY getting to the point where I think I'm near living up to the potential of the material's presentation.

So as to not take up two slots on the board ... here's the second one in queue for release.

Same considerations - and thanks!

Last edited:
3rd in the production line. I've still got the final remix to go for the last two pieces - but I'll get to that either later today or tomorrow. I used to spend weeks agonizing over mixes. I've gotten that down to a little under an hour.

:D

You have a cool (and eclectic) mix of songs! I listed to the intial two tracks, Lesson in Life and Real Life. I enjoyed both, particularly the guitars on Real Life. Nice work!
Joseph

Back