Bit Rate Confusion

M Havlen

I'm confused about Bit rate conversion. I understand that after recording my tracks in Pro Audio / Sound Forge that i'm suposed to convert the bit rate to 16, but i'm not sure why. When I do so, I can't really tell much difference in sound quality. Is there much audible sound difference? Thanks

Well, we're talking about bit depth or word length, not bit rate. If you're recording at some word length greater than 16 (which I HIGHLY recommend) when all is said and done and you've mixed down your multitrack masterpiece to two tracks and you want to put it on CD so you can dig it in your car, it has to 16 bit/44.1k. That's why.

16 vs 32

when i tried to record on 32 bit (resolution) then convert it to 16 to burn it on a CD the sound quality went down!!! i had a lot of hissing noise ? i use cool edit pro. i don't know wheater it has to do with the sound card or the software i am using. please hlep

Re: 16 vs 32

mjamed said:
when i tried to record on 32 bit (resolution) then convert it to 16 to burn it on a CD the sound quality went down!!! i had a lot of hissing noise ? i use cool edit pro. i don't know wheater it has to do with the sound card or the software i am using. please hlep
You can't actually record in 32 bit.

32 bit in Cool Edit Pro is actually 32 bit float. The highest you can record is 24/96 and that's only if your sound card supports it.

Sounds like you just found out what Dither is!

(Either your software put too much low depth Dither in your track, or none and your track now has some nasty Aliasing!)

Back