Better Off Dead - Elton John Cover

stratmonkee

One of my favorite albums growing up was Elton Johns "Captain Fantastic And The Brown Dirt Cowboy", thought I would try and cover a song off it called "Better Off Dead", I guess this is more of an interpretation rather then cover as I think it's quite a bit different from original . I used a mel9 , attack decay , and sy9 pedal for the "string" part in the middle of song . Vocals are weak but, my 1st attempt....

Yeah me and my best mate used to play billiards at his house with Yellow Brick Rd and Captain Fantastic on high rotation on his older brothers record player which we weren't supposed to use :D Haven't heard this in a long time, pretty cool version, I think the vocal could come up esp in the early part of the song, as it's getting submersed. Nice job

Sounds good. Like noted above, the vocal level can come up in the early part, it sounds about right near the end

Bulls Hit

Yeah me and my best mate used to play billiards at his house with Yellow Brick Rd and Captain Fantastic on high rotation on his older brothers record player which we weren't supposed to use :D Haven't heard this in a long time, pretty cool version, I think the vocal could come up esp in the early part of the song, as it's getting submersed. Nice job

Thanks Bulls! I raised the lead vocal up a bit in the mix, link at top plays new mix. Thanks for commenting.

Never heard the original.
This sounds very good to me. This time sig must of been tough no? All the stops sound tight - good job.
Yes, it was a little different groove than I'm used to, not to bad once I got the swing down. My version is a bit slower than the original. Thanks for listening!

Sounds good. Like noted above, the vocal level can come up in the early part, it sounds about right near the end
Don't think I ever get comfortable singing until the end of a song:ROFLMAO:, This was all one take and one of many attempts. I raised the lead vocal up a bit in the mix, and adjusted the eq as well. Link at top now plays new mix. Thanks for the listen and comments!

One of my favorite albums growing up was Elton Johns "Captain Fantastic And The Brown Dirt Cowboy", thought I would try and cover a song off it called "Better Off Dead", I guess this is more of an interpretation rather then cover as I think it's quite a bit different from original . I used a mel9 , attack decay , and sy9 pedal for the "string" part in the middle of song . Vocals are weak but, my 1st attempt....

Excellent sounding material (y). Do you have any tips about drums mixing, compression, on which parts do you use reverb, how much etc. I have problem with my tracks because they sound dull (no reverb) and not as much dynamic as I would wanted it. Your track sounds amazing, I'm hearing it on phone speakers btw :-)

Back