Best Seymour Duncan Pickups for a Squier Affinity Telecaster???

Oh my God!!! Where do I begin?!! In order of interest:

Greg - you surprised me! You like cool stuff - My Dad showed me all those punk bands long ago! He's an expert of all those days and opened me up to a lot of cool stuff from back then. He introduced me to the Wipers, Gang of 4, Mission of Burma, just about all the bands you mentioned and so many others.

Punk began in the USA - The Trashmen, 1962. If that isn't good enough, then go with Johnathan Richmond & the Modern Lovers (Roadrunner) in 1974. That being said, I LOVE what the Britts did in the late 70's and throughout the 80's. The Chameleons were played plenty in my house growing up. The West Coast original punk stuff was very good.

I love people seeing my ass and that's exactly why that avatar is there. I love knowing people are looking at it. I'm not about to post pics on this topic - way too lame. I'm not concerned if you all think I'm one of you.... a fat old guy. Duly noted J-Dude that you're thin and like surfing....

Pixies absolutely Rock. Trompe Le Monde is my favorite and from it, Planet of Sound. Boston bands kick ass!!

Anna Calvi is a pure artist. Don't anyone bad mouth her. She's an AC30 girl.. same amp often used by the guitarist in PJ's band. My favorite songs from PJ are The Sky Lit Up and Taut.

Mutt - you still sound pretty angry. C'mon, get some McDonalds and talk to me. Don't be shy, sweetie! I made my decision on pickups. If you want to be a big old baby and not tell me about your paint work and basswood, that's fine. But thanks for your concern about me playing and recording. I promise to keep at it.

You disappont me mjb - I thought we were "friends."

Gotta run, old men!! Love and kisses!

lol... @ teh fat ass chick/chuck punk historian with a Dad/troll trying too hard..:laughings:

Now wheres that ass pic sweetie...:mad:

mutt; i still sense anger in you... get your doctor's clearance and go jogging or something, but do it over 50 style - kind of walking, kind of jogging... no fast food while doing it. I'd hate to see something bad happen to you, honey.

You know - you see old man mutt's big hairy arms in his restoration topic. Why isn't anyone demanding more pictures of that?!

Greg & Britt dude - for you. I understand the risk that old fart mutt's going to rip this apart and draw comparisons to Okume...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O8oKuCZrCOg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1y_E22YxZh4

Pixies absolutely Rock. Trompe Le Monde is my favorite and from it, Planet of Sound.

Fail. Trompe Le Monde is easily the worst Pixies album, by a country mile.

LOL @ Jonathan "Richmond". :D

This is such transparent nonsense.

Fail. Trompe Le Monde is easily the worst Pixies album, by a country mile.

LOL @ Jonathan "Richmond". :D

This is such transparent nonsense.

Johnathan Richmond did that solo album with guest appearances by Jerry Rambone, Jack Strummy, and Ziggy Top.

He also did that benefit concert with Captain Sensible and Tenille.
Ah, he was the guitarist for Dave Geranium and the Saved.

Greg, I know you prefer American shite, but what do you think of The Damned?

hnai6, in my experience, girls don't usually feel the need to announce they are a girl and tell everyone how amazing they think their arse is. Lovely though the arse in the picture is.
I agree you're probably British though - I don't think many yanks have heard of Anna Calvi... yet.

Ah, he was the guitarist for Dave Geranium and the Saved.

Greg, I know you prefer American shite, but what do you think of The Damned?

The CBGBs bands were "shite"? You need to get your head out of your arse. Is that how you gap-toothed limeys say it? Arse? Something like that?

Anyway, yeah I do generally prefer American bands. Not because I'm some dumbo jingo flag waver, but because I just relate to them better. The US bands were more about the music and less about fashion and politics. Let's be real - many of those early limey punk bands were fucking shit awful. But I do like a lot of the limey punk stuff. The Damned are pretty awesome. The Clash are easily the best UK punk band ever IMO. Without question. But I'd put The Damned right up there near the top of the next tier of bands. Then a little later The Toy Dolls came along. I REALLY like them. I fucking love The Toy Dolls. If The Clash are 1A, I'd put The Toy Dolls as 1B. I like them that much.

The CBGBs bands were "shite"? You need to get your head out of your arse. Is that how you gap-toothed limeys say it? Arse? Something like that?

Anyway, yeah I do generally prefer American bands. Not because I'm some dumbo jingo flag waver, but because I just relate to them better. The US bands were more about the music and less about fashion and politics. Let's be real - many of those early limey punk bands were fucking shit awful. But I do like a lot of the limey punk stuff. The Damned are pretty awesome. The Clash are easily the best UK punk band ever IMO. Without question. But I'd put The Damned right up there near the top of the next tier of bands. Then a little later The Toy Dolls came along. I REALLY like them. I fucking love The Toy Dolls. If The Clash are 1A, I'd put The Toy Dolls as 1B. I like them that much.

I think there's just far less decent British punk bands; that's why there's so much crap that is relatively well known - I think people were looking for more clash/damned/pistols etc and there just wasn't anymore there worth listening to.

There probably is a lot more American stuff which is actually good. The UK never really had much of continuing punk scene either; it pretty much ended when the Clash ended. There's been the odd band; but I can't think of a real punk scene. There's always been loads of hard rock and metal clubs which tend to be quite gothy but in all the cities I have lived there's only ever been the odd punk band in amongst loads of hard rock and goth/metal bands.

The Clash are just one of the best bands ever!

haha, I know the CBGB bands aren't shite really - I even went through a phase of listening to Patti Smith while I was getting divorced about 6 years ago!

Lol, I'm not a fan of Patti Smith. I don't get it. She's just some dirty hippie poet girl with a boring backing band. Not my thing. I think the punk movement in the US started and lasted longer for us because it really never ever became popular. There was no controversy, no fashion to it, no politics, it was just dead end people doing their own thing and relatively few people paid attention. It never exploded into the mainstream consciousness like the UK version did. The Sex Pistols were shoved down everyone's throat by state media in the UK. We didn't have that here. No one in the US outside of NYC knew who Johnny Thunders was until...hell they still probably don't know who he is. US punk didn't get social or political until the 80s hardcore movements in DC and the west coast. A band like the Dead Kennedys would have been right at home in the UK 1976. But now most punk in the US falls into three general categories - Ramones inspired ripoffs, leftover hardcore, or noise.

I do quite like Patti Smith, aside from punk, grunge, hard rock and metal, I do tend to like a lot more chilled out stuff and even some electro stuff too.

Some American punk seems to be quite popular. Bad Religion and Pennywise were always big in the UK, I assumed DKs were huge everywhere!

The US "punk" was way more diverse too. No one in their right mind would consider Blondie or The Talking Heads punk nowadays, but they came from that exact scene. They were lumped in with bands like The Heartbreakers, Ramones, Voidoids, Dead Boys, etc. Those bands back then were all very different. Television and Ramones at the same club on the same night? That's like two wildly different worlds colliding. That had to just confuse people. Lol. That's how I like to romanticize bands like the Ramones. By today's standards they're pretty tame. But at that time no one else did what they did, which is odd because now it all seems to simple and obvious. They confused the tired old dinosaur rock fans and rock media. I for one am very thankful that they existed.

I love the arguments about tone woods on a solid body guitar. Actually there's very minute effect unless you are playing it acoustic. Put your pickups on a Douglas fir 2" x 4" and get the same sound. Tone woods are for acoustics and guitar makers would have you believe they are important in solid bodies where the real reasons for different woods are weight and looks. Can't wait to see the argument on this. :-) Can you really hear a (WOOD) tone vibration coming through a magnetic pickup. Really? BAss paints better and most Fenders are 2 and 3 pieces and when the grain doesn't match, these bodies are painted. Ash, mahogany and others highly grained like Maple are used for Natural and translucent qualities and all for looks and weight.

Last edited:
Back