Best Overhead Drum Mic For Under $250

I just checked out the Naiant page, and there is an application matrix you should look at. based on that, I would suggest the X-T or the X-Q... Those have standard XLR connectors and will be hooked up justl like any of your other mics....

Okay

Im leaning towards the X-Ts, but Im confused about the internal switching options..I dont really know what those are for...could you maybe go look at it and give me a little detail about each and reccomend which one should be on when recording drum overheads and which one for acoustic guitar?

Thanks

Man, I was wrong, I thought I saw Rode NT5 (Pair) for 220....but it was for the single =[
so the Rode is out for now.

only if you buy new. my pair of nt5s cost me 250 off of one of the forums. i know for a fact that i've seen them for less although not as often. someone was selling a pair within the last few weeks too. it might have been on gear slutz or tomb though

I had several pairs of Naiants and yes they are decent mics. Something about them I didn't like on overheads though. Could be I have a very low ceiling but I do have treatment on it. I have a totally different opinion though about the M177's vs the Naiants. To me they were much better on overheads, so I ended up selling the Naiants. I guess it just goes to show how different people prefer different mics.

Well...

second skin...if you could just maybe keep an eye out for me....and i too will look around for those nt5s

Daveg62, i might have to go by your opinion on this one because i too and working in a small ceiling room (7' or so)

I know i keep mentioning this but I cant help the rebate....the akg perception 170s....does nobody like those? they are $150 each...but until dec 31, each one has a $50 rebate with it so theyd be $200

I just would hate to miss out on a deal like that if its worth it.

Sorry if im bugging the crap out of you guys/girls.

second skin...if you could just maybe keep an eye out for me....and i too will look around for those nt5s

well i don't really have time to be searching for deals for the whole world. really though there are tons of boards just like this one that all have classified sections and you can get a lot of great deals that way. i've gotten almost everything that i have either here, on gear slutz, tapeop or ebay and it's all worked out well.

There is an application matrix on the Naiant Mic page that shows which mics work best in different applications. For drum overheads and acoustic guitars the X-M's with transformer outputs is the owners personal choice, so that's what I ordered. Again I really like them and it only took about a week for me to get my matched pair... he says 2 weeks probably to give himself time in case he has a lot of mics to build.

Hey man, thanks for the reply and suggestions. I will deffinatly look into recorderman and studio building! I have one more question I just found an AKG Perception 170 for $150 each BUT they come with a $50 rebate. would this be better in you opinion or still go with the 604s?
honestly, kid, I'd say get cheaper condensors and just start recording.

I was just kicking myself the other day for NOT buying a few Naiant mics when I was getting started. $160 for a great pair of (US handmade, I believe) overheads like those would be a great call. Or used gear on here.

Save your extra money for improvements to your instruments and your recording space-- useable mic stands and cables (remember, those all cost $$$ too...) and treatment for your walls and ceilings.

Good luck!

Thankssss

Alright thank you so much...I think I have enough information all about all kinds of OH mics to make a decision now. :D

Those are standard XLR connectors and will be hooked up justl like any of your other mics....

There. Fixed that for ya. :D

I like the Naiant mics. I wouldn't personally pick omni mics for overheads since I prefer X/Y miking for my overheads (which requires cardioid mics). That said, the Naiant mics will serve you well in general, IMHO.

I had several pairs of Naiants and yes they are decent mics. Something about them I didn't like on overheads though. Could be I have a very low ceiling but I do have treatment on it. I have a totally different opinion though about the M177's vs the Naiants. To me they were much better on overheads, so I ended up selling the Naiants. I guess it just goes to show how different people prefer different mics.

Yeah, if you have low ceilings, omni mics will tend to pick up more reflection off the ceilings, which could explain why you didn't like it. Even with treatment, you'll generally still get some reflections, just less reflection of high frequencies.

I know i keep mentioning this but I cant help the rebate....the akg perception 170s....does nobody like those? they are $150 each...but until dec 31, each one has a $50 rebate with it so theyd be $200

I doubt anybody has tried them. AKG generally builds good mics, but I've never tried any of their SDCs personally. The folks at Sweetwater seem to think that the 170s make great overheads, so I suspect you'd be happy with them.

I wondered if the CAD CM217 would be a good choice based on my experience with their LDCs, but the first review I found said that they clipped badly when used for overheads, so there's one mic to avoid like the plague. :)

Back