Best mic for kick?

Polls are fun, aren't they? Which mic on kick?

• AKG D112

Votes: 114 33.8%
  • Sennheiser e602

Votes: 29 8.6%
  • Shure beta52

Votes: 101 30.0%
  • other... (please specify)

Votes: 93 27.6%

• Total voters
just so ya know

my vote goes for the D112. Live I heard a D6 and it also sounded very good. But the D112 is my favorite.

I have found the best mic for me was the Audix D6. Between the common bass drum mics in the price range that makes a mic the "best" mic for me, it had the best out-of-the box EQ. The sound from my bass drum was meaty, deep yet defined and "present".

For under $200 (used at least), it's the best mic for me.

d6 person right here... i've played with the d112 a lot, and just cant get myself to like it... sorry...
2nd choice would be the beta52... nice even tone. great mic for in and out of the drum

I own a D12 and I was wondering what the difference is besides that and the D112 besides the different design.

I have to add another one for the ATM 25 (avoid the Pro 25, I'm not a fan). I've tried everything else fancy to cheap and this thing, without EQ, makes a kick drum sound like a kick drum with a nice amount of thump. That whole made in Japan Audiotechnica ATM series are sleepers, I heard they were made by Sony. Again, it depends on what you're looking for, I do a lot of just plain old rock and roll and I like it. Plus. it's so affordable.

Next time try your 112 on bass guitar. ;)

I love it on both bass gtr cabs and floor toms 16" and larger. I just can't seem to get it to sound right on kick. But it's funny, I loath the D6 on bass cabs so just goes to show what works for some sucks on others.

Other: Yamaha SUBKICK clone using 7" Yamaha woofer.
That and another mic such as SM57 sounds realistic.

I built one using a 10" speaker and a 10" electric drum shell ( because it was shallow enough ).. this made it soooo easy to build.. take the mesh head off the trigger.. take the innards out... the 10" speaker fits right on the shell bearing edge... put the mesh head and rim back on.. tighten with the lugs.. badda boom! no screwing it down or pain in the ass mounting in the shell. And.. the trigger shell already has a yahama style mounting bracket on the outside of the shell, brought tears to my eyes LOL...

.. I put that guy about 4 inches from the front head and a d112 inside the kick for some click.... F'n magic...
will post pics and sound samples if anyone wants....

Back