Best mic for kick?

Polls are fun, aren't they? Which mic on kick?

• AKG D112

Votes: 114 33.8%
  • Sennheiser e602

Votes: 29 8.6%
  • Shure beta52

Votes: 101 30.0%
  • other... (please specify)

Votes: 93 27.6%

• Total voters
What a thread. How long???

This weekend we were drum tracking and had an AKG D112 and a Beyer M88TG on hand....

AKG placement was limited to standard practice of sitting it in the (off centre) hole of the front skin. In isolation, EQ flat: uninspiring 'thud' and rather unfocused. Hi EQ yielded some click and playing with the low end gave it some life.

The Beyer, placed inside the kick pointed up towards the beater (4" dist.) yielded a more rounded and musical kick. It sounded like a kick drum. A bit more rounded, a little less overall 'clout,' but even with flat EQ, immediately more usable in the mix, it sat better.

We'll probably end up using the Beyer for the overall tone and dial in some of the AKG's low end, just a little.

Just one person's experience. I'm sure in other setups results would differ.

Roel said:
Any comments on the shure beta52? There's this drum package that comes with it, 3 sm57's, clips and a box to put it in...

If the mic is good, and the price is reasonable, I might buy that...

I'll check the ATM-25
Where can i find that package?

best for kick

I use an audix D6 in preference to all others, as I dig the tone and response which can be easily achieved with this outstanding mic.

The D6 has a decent tone, and you can get the sound anywhere in the drum. I also like d112s, beta52, kickballs, etc...

but my fave is a U47 outside the kick with a 1073 and a little 1176.

...ahh, if I only had $17,000.

Roel said:
How about the AKG D550 and the EV N/D868? Some other dude proposed these 2 together with the beyerdynamic TG-X50?

Anyone used these?

I have a D550 and have tried countless different placements and dynamics processing because i assumed it HAD to be better than the CAD KBM412 that I have. As it turns out, a compressed $40 mic sounds better than the AKG. Now bear in mind that I'm going for a punchy, pronounced hard rock sound. The 550 would be usable in a jazz setting I suppose, but it affords you no real versatility. I'd just get the D112 and be done with it. If I didn't have a million other things to buy for the studio, I'd have one by now.

I can't believe these fucking "what is the best......." threads make it passed page one. Of course, since we're dealing with drummers, this stupid question gets 5 pages. Amazing.

RAMI said:
I can't believe these fucking "what is the best......." threads make it passed page one. Of course, since we're dealing with drummers, this stupid question gets 5 pages. Amazing.

:D :D :D :D :D

i'm going to throw in another vote for the D6

i was a little hesitant to get it because i heard all of the stories about how clicky and scooped it is. sure it has some of that but i think that its way more versatile than it gets credit for. i got a really nice standard rock/pop kick sound out of it by putting it right at the hole in the head of my drummers tama kick with emad head

Isnt the D6 just a rebadged at-25...I have 2 ATpro25 and use them on the Kick and floor tom...sm57s everywhere else with mxl603s on overheads...I rareley mic up more than a 5 piece due to the fact I have a dual kick pedel.

Stick This In Your Kick Drums Hole!

This Right here is one BMF kick drum mic!

30Hz-20kHz frequency response and it is a condenser mic so you will need phantom power. Best bang for the buck at $60.00 a pop

To mic or not?

I agree with the opinion: 'it depends'. It's nice to have one there, but each song dictates the level. A song with a great bass guitar underneath it all requires less kick in the mix. The arrangement affects the level of kick needed and a great recording, or live, engineer will mix accordingly. In the studio, create two or three kick drum tracks to give you plenty of flex. The Beta 52 at the resonant side provides a fat sound that I liken to Lars (Metallica). When a good bass line is involved, use a nice condenser about five feet in front of and pointed at the kick. This technique is terrific and is similar to throwing a mic infront of a guitar. You get the full range of the drum kit as just as you get the full range of the guitar. More ambience and range and less attack. I could go on..... Bottom line: don't get stuck in a box. Every song is different....hopefully!!!!

ATM 25 Best all round indestructible non-colored kick mic which can also be used for a whole lot of other applications (hand drums, voice, etc.)

AKG D112 is my second choice but it's finnicky on placement.

ribbon all the way

Position a ribbon mic possibly R-121 2 to 3 feet in front
of the kit about 3 feet high. You will most likely have to move it a
few times to get just the right balance of Bass/snare/cymbals. But it sounds AMAZING!!! I have a vintage 1971 Camco kit with NO hole in my bass drum. But I have been told that my drums always sound "amazing" The royer was a one time thing unfortunately. But I've also mic'd the whole kit with a D6 a foot in front of the bass drum and a high end Sennhiser VOCAL mic right above my head pointed down towards the snare..and THAT also sounded VERY good!!! I really think it's just about where you place the mics and how good your ear is.

Back