Behringer B1..?

Miseria_Cantare

Behringer B1

Can anyone tell me their opinions on this microphone?
I've been told it's good, but no one seems to talk about it on here....

I'm looking for a Condenser microphone, for the purpose of recording Vocals, Acoustic guitar, and possibly Electric guitar too, it'll be the first condenser microphone I've bought, but I want to get one that's good, for a reasonable price.

Would I be better off getting a different microphone?
Or is this one good?

Also, I'm using a Yamaha MG 10/2 mixer, and this will be going into the line input on my PC.

I also heard some good things about studio projects B1, but I am a n00b to recording, and microphones, so any help would be appreciated :)

don't buy a behringer mic...thats all i'ma say. if you want something cheap that doesn't cost much get a Studio projects B1(the REAL B1) or even the Kel audio hm-1

Here we go again mentiom Behringer and ,,,,, Oh well.

I have both the Berry and The SP. Both are well made and sound fine given that they are both pocket money prices.

The Berry comes with a good case and shockmount, The SP comes with more street cred.

Take your pick but please please put on the Bull-Shit proof jacket before attempting to read some of the post's

Oh yes, welcome to the Forum

Tony

I heard a mic shoot out between the Behringer and some expensive neumanns and a c12. The Berhinger seemed to hold it's own against the TLM 103 but didn't make it against the more upscale mics. Considering i've spent more money on lunch than the cost of the Behringer I thought it was ok. If all the behringers sound like that particular one did, which they may not consider Behringer's hidious QC record, I wouldn't be afraid of it for some functions.

slobbermonster said:
The Berhinger seemed to hold it's own against the TLM 103
I would struggle to believe even that!

The Studio Projects B1 is a mic that lots more people seem to like than the Behringer B-1. Another to consider is the SE Electronics SE2200, which I have and think is an excellent buy.

Where in the world are you? If you're in the UK there are one or two others you should look at which are less well known, specifically Red5 who seem to have been up for discussion a few times over the last week.

I would struggle to believe even that
Yeah I was struggling to believe it too. It may have just been that particular B-1. Like I said it "seemed" to hold it's own and with Behringer QC who knows why it sounded ok. In the day to day work versus a shoot out who knows what it will really do. Keep in mind though the TLM 103 is not an incredible mic either.

c9-2001 said:
don't buy a behringer mic...thats all i'ma say. if you want something cheap that doesn't cost much get a Studio projects B1(the REAL B1) or even the Kel audio hm-1

I've got nothing against Beheringer, but I agree -- go with the Studio Projects B1, $99. I have one and it sounds great. But if you can afford it, go with the Studio Projects C1 instead. $199. I'll say this once again and will probably once again get chastized for it, but many users are comparing the C1 favorably to Nueman mics that cost a crapload more.

I'm not sure but I thought I read somewhere about a mic shootout where a Behringer mic did well but I think it was the B2 not the B1. Of course that might have been a different shootout.
Having said that, I will say that I have a Behringer B1 and it seems to do a good job. My old way of recording vocals was using a SM57 into my multitrack. The B1 was a big improvement IMO. I've only used it to record my own voice and as a room mic for band practice. In both situations it did great.

I have had mixed results with Behringer products so I can't say that they are all good or bad.
Most people will bash a Behringer product without having used it just based on so called street cred.

I agree. There all about the same.

wilkee said:
Here we go again mentiom Behringer and ,,,,, Oh well.

I have both the Berry and The SP. Both are well made and sound fine given that they are both pocket money prices.

The Berry comes with a good case and shockmount, The SP comes with more street cred.

Take your pick but please please put on the Bull-Shit proof jacket before attempting to read some of the post's

Oh yes, welcome to the Forum

Tony
Joe Meek, Nady, Studio Projects, Behringer, etc are all just cheap Chinese made budget type mics and really no better or worst than any other cheap budget mic.

DJL said:
Joe Meek, Nady, Studio Projects, Behringer, etc are all just cheap Chinese made budget type mics and really no better or worst than any other cheap budget mic.

They are very different. And yes, some of them better and some worse.

Another good reason to audition mics before buying.

Marik said:
They are very different. And yes, some of them better and some worse.
You're right... for example, all Behringer B1's don't sound the same (nor do all Studio Projects B1's sound like each other, etc). And that's another good reason to audition cheap mics before buying... so you get the better one of the group.

DJL said:
You're right... for example, all Behringer B1's don't sound the same... nor do all Studio Projects B1's sound like each other. And that's another good reason to audition cheap mics before buying... so you get the better one of the group.

DJL,

It is obvious that I meant different brands, i.e. Behr B1 for example, sounds very different from SP, as does the Nady. IMO, both Behr and Nady are inferior to Studio Projects.
On the other hand, none of two "classics" (for example U47, U67, U87) sounded the same. If we take AKG, esp. with older brass capsules, the response was all over the place.

My own opinion, that many will disagree with, is that any of the condenser mics mentioned in this thread will do you just fine. 90% of the quality of your end product is determined prior to the mic in the signal chain - the mic itself contributes relatively little to the sound.

Of supreme importance is the sound source itself (voice or instrument, how it is controlled, technical and artistic proficiency, artistic merit of the music), then placement of the microphone and the sonic characteristics of the recording environment (the "room".)

When these are optimised, then any of the mics will do an adequate job. Granted some mics may make it a little better or a little worse, but if they're not optimised, no mic is going to help. I would guess that there are relatively few of us here that have the expertise to take advantage of the superior characteristics of expensive mics and other gear.

I know I'm certainly not one. :)

So get yourself one of the B1's and have at it!

I used one for a year and it perfect for home recording. I sold mine just because I was moving.

I think at least 42% of the "Behringer sucks" talk is because of some kinda peer pressure... the big guys say so and everybody says yes-yes-yes... makes no sense..
Behringer makes good wellpriced products that suit most amateur home studios. I would suggest people to get it.. good price and sound.

traidma said:
I think at least 42% of the "Behringer sucks" talk is because of some kinda peer pressure... the big guys say so and everybody says yes-yes-yes... makes no sense..

There is no smoke without fire. The Behr B2 is a better mic than Behr B1, mainly because of use of 34mm 797 capsule. But Behr screwed it up by using particularly bad electronic parts. The Behr is notorious for that (as Nady and MXL).

Last edited:
traidma said:
I didnt say anything about B2 against B1...

I know. It was just an example where these talks about "Behr sucks" come from. Sorry, if I did not word it more clearly.

Back