Behringer B1..?

Miseria_Cantare,
I have had a Behringer B1 for a month and I returned it. It has VERY annoying highs - artificially created peak somewhere over 10 KHz, to make it sound brighter (and reveal more details). People, who hear it for the first time think "it's great - I hear details I've heard before. My other mics are dull in comparison". :) But after some time, they'll realize, that it sounds more like a filter with high resonance exaggerating high frequencies.

Someone in this thread mentioned, that B1 sounds similar to TLM103. No way. But actually, it sounds similar to Rode NT1A.

I would not use a Behr B1 on vocal. But it may be useful for voiceovers, commercial spots etc.

The Behringer stuff isn't all smoke. Run a search on here and you will find that many people have had problems with Behringer gear. That isn't rare for a budget company! What is different with Behringer is that their customer care is virtually non-existent. I had a Blue Devil guitar amp that some knobs fell off the week after I bought it for my brother ... rang Behringer and they said they didn't carry spares for all their products but they might be tooling up for another run of that amp in 18 months, and that I should try again then.

We went back to the shop and stole some spares off another amp in their window. My feeling is that you wouldn't get this with many of the other companies in the range, such as PMI/SP and Thomann. Even SE are opening more regional offices so suckers like me don't have to ring the USA for their warranties.

i've delt with a bunch of mics. even the b2pro.. i've personally never heard the b1 from behringer.. but then again its a budget mic from behringer.. that means cheap electronics bottom line.

i've tested the b2pro.. and i was able to get it to sound ok, but to splashy. its a very bright mic with no body. it has a thin sound.
i tested iut through 12 different pres including a focusrite liquid, neve 1272's, gml's and some other really hi-end pres that no one would even plug a behringer mic up to..
on a budget i'll always tell ppl to buy a studio projects mic or a AT mic b/c i've used them and i know how they sound.
personally my next mic is a Blue bottle with a B6 and B7 capsule. i just love the sound of the B6. i think the kiwi has a b6 but i'm not sure

Use what ya got........

I just got a MXL990 and a On Stage mic package from MF. I also just got a Behriger UB802. These are a huge upgrade from the Radio Shack - First Act stuff I was using in my home studio. I'm happy, my friends sound better, and for the price it was well worth it.

slobbermonster said:
get all the caps they're all cool for something. the Kiwi has the b-6
i'll get all the caps if you buy them.. but i know i like the sound of the b6 and b7..
just trying to figure out what pre.. i like the amek purepath and the ssl super analog but i can't spend $5000 on a mic and 3-4000 on a pre.. for now i was looking at a Isa220 or a avalon 737sp, but i'm tired of the 737 to tell you the truth. so many years of using a 737 with a u87... maybe i'll test the bottle with a few artist through the avalon just to see how i like it

The output on the Bottle is pretty hot. I wouldn't be afraid to just run it to the console, assuming the console is decent. If you're ITB then try it with what ever you're using, all you need is something clean and low noise.

my new setup isn't really gonna have a true console. i'm thinking about getting the Wk audio controller for nuendo. i'll probably have 2 motu hd192's or something close.
i have a focusrite isa220, a-designs mp1, and a few lower pres(aphex,tampa,dbx)
my parter thinks it'll sound fine through the isa..if not were gonna get a API pre.. can't turn api down :D
when i get the bottle, i'm go rent a liquid and a few other pres to find out what pre i really want.

isa 220 should work fine. let me know what you think of the liquid, i've been thinking of getting a pair of them but we don't have any rental or pro gear shops around here to try them. I wonder what a Behringer would sound like through a liquid :eek:

i've used the liquid quite a few times. its rather nice even with the latency.
the compressors sound awesome but sonically the modelled pres don't sound all the different from each other. i like the unit but not for $3200. i'll pay $2000 for one just, a used one.. but i'd never buy one new.. you can get 3000 worth of pres and blow the liquid away..
what state are you in? my guys at atlanta pro audio have 1-2 liquids down there right now.. they all said its a little to much hype... i wanna hear the blue robbie, its $1000 too
i wonder how it sounds with blue mics...

For most practical purposes and home recording the B1 is an excellent. Most people here have a grudge about behringer gear. Go to musiciansfriend.com and see reviews from people that actually own the mic.

you can trust those reviews if you want to. they're usually ppl that have never owned a mic worth sh!t.
i remember when i got my first condenser mic.. i thought it was thesh!t to b/c i was only able to compare it to a sm57 though a cheap mixer.. when i got my first mic going through the same mixer i thought i was the man. over the years after working in world class studios, building up my studio etc.. i've come to see that that mic was garbage. i still have some of my first recordings.. i listen to them all the time and just grin... but to each his own.. behringer vs blue, neumann, soundelux, brauner, gefell etc behringer is in its own class.

i'm not a behringer basher.. hell i started with behringer products... but then agin i've seen and had common problems with behringer products. years ago i bought a mx8000(mackie 24.8 copycat) and the power supply kept blowing.. i still have the board. its in the attic.. i'll probably give it to my young cousin thats trying to get into production i have a argosy desk for it too, but i've moved past behringer and i'm never looking back

I don't bash Behringer it's just that their stuff breaks down a bunch or is bad out of the box. Their QC is simply hideous, I have friend who owns a gear store and he is constantly having to deal with bad/broken product from them. They have had a couple of sleeper products over the years but overall they are just makers of cheap, junkie clones of other peoples gear. it's very disposable gear

I wasn't trying to be a troll. I have had numberous behringer products that to this day still work great. I guess I am just lucky. Hey if I had the $$$ I wouldn't buy behringer, but I don't, so I get the best bang for my little buck. Everything seems to turn out ok in the end. But then music is my hobby\passion.

c9-2001 said:
i remember when i got my first condenser mic.. i thought it was thesh!t to b/c i was only able to compare it to a sm57 though a cheap mixer..

Before I got my B1 I was using a SM58 to record my vocals. To my ears and for my purposes I find the B1 to be an improvement. If I had the money I think I would upgrade but for now I don't want to hear a better mic. :D
What I don't know right now is saving me money. Are my recordings suffering? I don't think they sound so bad. Could my vocals be better. Yes, but a mic is only part of the deal.

Spaztic said:
I get the best bang for my little buck.
You see, quite often I don't think Behringer is the best bang for buck. I really don't think there's a witch hunt going on against Behringer - people call it how they see it. Take Samson, for example. Their power amps are probably the best of the very budget range, but their mics tend to suck. So if I say you shouldn't buy a Samson mic, will I get called a gear snob?

Back