Edirol UA-101 routing questions

Im interested in getting a second hand Edirol UA-101 to act as a Pre/AD/DA for an RME Digiface USB. I am hoping people who own one can answer a couple of questions

Most importantly, would routing the optical inputs of the UA-101 direct to the analogue line and headphone outs, and simultaneously, the analogue mic/inst inputs direct to the optical outputs, bypassing the computer entirely, be possible?

And would the UA-101 still work as a USB MIDI interface, when plugged in to a modern mac or windows machine?

Im interested in getting a second hand Edirol UA-101 to act as a Pre/AD/DA for an RME Digiface USB. I am hoping people who own one can answer a couple of questions

Most importantly, would routing the optical inputs of the UA-101 direct to the analogue line and headphone outs, and simultaneously, the analogue mic/inst inputs direct to the optical outputs, bypassing the computer entirely, be possible?
I don't understand what you are trying to do - it sounds like you are circular routing - do you mean route the Edirol to the REM? - If so Why do you want to do that?

And would the UA-101 still work as a USB MIDI interface, when plugged in to a modern mac or windows machine?
I guess it would if MIDI is transmitted over the USB as well as the Midi In/Out.

I don't understand what you are trying to do - it sounds like you are circular routing - do you mean route the Edirol to the REM? - If so Why do you want to do that?
No, not circular routing. The RME Digiface USB only accepts optical ADAT/SPDIF inputs, and only outputs optical ADAT/SPDIF. So I want to use the UA-101 as an AD and DA converter, in both directions. So ideally the UA-101 will receive digital audio in from the RME in the optical SPDIF inputs, and convert it to analogue to be sent out to the line outs and headphone outs. It will also act as a mic/instrument preamp and AD, converting input mic/inst/line signals to digital and sending it out to the RME via the optical SPDIF output. At least that is what I am hoping to achieve.

I guess it would if MIDI is transmitted over the USB as well as the Midi In/Out.
I am more wondering how it would fare with a mac running macOS 11/12/13, or M1/M2 macs, or Windows 11

No, not circular routing. The RME Digiface USB only accepts optical ADAT/SPDIF inputs, and only outputs optical ADAT/SPDIF. So I want to use the UA-101 as an AD and DA converter, in both directions. So ideally the UA-101 will receive digital audio in from the RME in the optical SPDIF inputs, and convert it to analogue to be sent out to the line outs and headphone outs. It will also act as a mic/instrument preamp and AD, converting input mic/inst/line signals to digital and sending it out to the RME via the optical SPDIF output. At least that is what I am hoping to achieve.

I am more wondering how it would fare with a mac running macOS 11/12/13, or M1/M2 macs, or Windows 11
It would run fine on a MAC as long as the USB sends Midi in/out via the USB - I don't have anyway of knowing if it does.
as for you routing idea - it's very convoluted with nothing to really gain - not to mention that the SPiDiF isn't two way - just send
you Edirol and RME into the MAC and Aggregate the two.

It would run fine on a MAC as long as the USB sends Midi in/out via the USB -
You have experience confirming that it runs under modern M1/M2 macs running recent macOS? Cause thats what I asked about, specifically.
I don't have anyway of knowing if it does.
Then why are you responding? How is that helpful? I dont understand.
as for you routing idea - it's very convoluted with nothing to really gain - not to mention that the SPiDiF isn't two way - just send
you Edirol and RME into the MAC and Aggregate the two.
I know the optical SPDIF on the Edirol isnt two way, it has an SPDIF in, and and SPDIF out, two separate connectors. Which is one of the reasons I am interested in the device. This kind of routing is very common for preamps and AD/DA converters. For example I am using a TubeOpto 8, a Digimax FS and an ADA8200 in my home studio with exactly the kind of routing I described. And as for your strange suggestion of 'aggregating' the Edirol into the mac, no, that makes absolutely no sense, since I am using the RME as the audio interface, specifically for its incredibly low latency and rock solid stability. Using the Edirol as an audio interface would be pointless.

Its okay if you dont understand what I am talking about or what I am trying to achieve, but just like with the MIDI question, why are you responding?

Honestly I am asking people who are familiar with the UA-101, or own one, to confirm if the kind of routing I am looking for is possible. That's all.

Last edited:
Back