basic function that I can't do... copy from one track to another

lapieuvre

Hi,

Now when I copy an audio clip from one track to another, it locks to the grid, it will not copy at the exact same position on another track ( I drag from one track to another, and instead of keeping the same position, it copies itself at the beginning of the bar...) If I disable the grid, of course I don't know if I keep the exact same position.

How do I get back to my good old setting?

Thanks

on the grid selection, there's a pull down arrow that you need to hit. I believe it defaults to "whole measure" when the grid is originally turned on. On the drop down menu, you can select what value you want to "snap" too. ...ie 1/2 notes, 1/4 notes, etc...

Yes, I know that, but my question is why does it copy to the beginning of the bar on the next track? ( or the middle of the bar if I say grid to half note) Why doesn't it keep the exact same beginning position (for example 5:01:622), just like it used to be for the past 6 years? Is it a sonar 7 new thing?

Thanks

Hold "shift" and then drag. That's what you're looking for. It will overide the "snap to grid" (I believe) and allows you to drag vertically without changing the relative time from track to track. And holding BOTH "ctrl" and "shift" will drag and copy....keeping your time intact.

I think that's what you're looking for.

I don't know how new the feature is. I jumped in with Sonar 6 now on 7pe.

My question is how did you NOT keep things aligned (if wanted) in your previous versions? Hold "shift" :D :)

Maybe Cakewalk took a poll or flipped a coin to see which way was most popular, as having it always snap to a grid wouldn't be good either. Anyrate, didn't "snap to grid" start in one of those earlier versions...like around 3 or 4?

EXACTLY! Now is that new? I never needed to hold shift before (Sonar 2,4, and 6...)

Anyways, thanks a lot.

T.
If you had snap grid off entirely you can drag straight down (or anywhere) w/o 'shift -but tough not to also get some side motion?

If you had snap grid off entirely you can drag straight down (or anywhere) w/o 'shift -but tough not to also get some side motion?

I've never "microscope'd it"...but the potential is there. I think if you just go straight down to a neighboring track, Cakewalk still SEEMS to keep it lined up. But dragging across 10 tracks might be different.

Well to tell you the truth, I could drag and drop 10 trackes under without losing my position, without holding shift.

Now the problem I have is to slide left or right in the same track... If the audio clip doesn't start on the bar, and I want to slide it 1 full bar, It will not work like it used to be, it will lock to the grid... this means that if the clip starts at beat 2:036 and I want to slide it 1 bar, it will end up at 3:000... not 3:036 for example.

I have been using Sonar for 6 years now... first time that happens to me

Any Hints?

Thanks

... this means that if the clip starts at beat 2:036 and I want to slide it 1 bar, it will end up at 3:000... not 3:036 for example.

I have been using Sonar for 6 years now... first time that happens to me

Any Hints?

Thanks
In Snap dialog there's 'Move By' x amount rather than to the nearest?

Originally Posted by mixsit
In Snap dialog there's 'Move By' x amount rather than to the nearest?

Does not work here...

Back