Baby Steps

guitar zero

c = b#
Recorded this a long time ago, before discovering this forum, so I dug it up, added some things and re-mixed it. I thought I'd post it up to see how it's mixed. It's called baby steps, written for a couple who was struggling to have a child.

I like it a lot. No critiques on the mix. I think it's pretty darn good.

Listened several times and it's very relaxing. It will probably stick in my head all night.

Thanks for sharing.

Mel--that was sweet! Great performance, great mix. I just got in from a long crazy day--and hearing that was like medicine for my weary soul. My kids are 26 and 21--and I'm blessed, but not too far removed to feel the "point" of this song. Absolutely top notch.

Recorded this a long time ago, before discovering this forum, so I dug it up, added some things and re-mixed it. I thought I'd post it up to see how it's mixed. It's called baby steps, written for a couple who was struggling to have a child.

GZ always enjoy your music/mixes! This one is no exception...nice job

I like it a lot. No critiques on the mix. I think it's pretty darn good.

Listened several times and it's very relaxing. It will probably stick in my head all night.

Thanks for sharing.
Thanks Chili, hope it's finally cooling off down there in Texas.

Mel--that was sweet! Great performance, great mix. I just got in from a long crazy day--and hearing that was like medicine for my weary soul. My kids are 26 and 21--and I'm blessed, but not too far removed to feel the "point" of this song. Absolutely top notch.
Bob, always good to hear from you. Hope all is well. Thanks for listening.

GZ always enjoy your music/mixes! This one is no exception...nice job
That's nice of you to say that. Glad you enjoyed it.

Hey GZ - this sounds really nice, rich and full. I listened last night but forgot to comment. Listening again now, I don't really have any suggestions for you - sorry.

Actually, you know I was wondering how the hard panned shaker(s) were done? They sound very smooth. When I track hand percussion, it often seems to sound tinny, scratchy or abrasive somehow.

Hey GZ - this sounds really nice, rich and full. I listened last night but forgot to comment. Listening again now, I don't really have any suggestions for you - sorry.

Actually, you know I was wondering how the hard panned shaker(s) were done? They sound very smooth. When I track hand percussion, it often seems to sound tinny, scratchy or abrasive somehow.

I guess it depends on the shaker. On these, I did nothing but a high pass filter at 580 Hz. Nothing else. One trick for finding a really irritating frequency is to duplicate the track, flip the phase on one of them so they cancel. Then put an eq on one of them with a boost somewhere and then move the frequency up and down. The only thing you should hear is the frequency you're boosting. Might help zero in on the offending freq.

Cool, thanks. I've done the sliding EQ thing, but not with a duplicated, phase-flipped track alongside...hmmm...interesting.

Once again, nice track. I've listened a few times now and really enjoy it.

This is very nice indeed. My only niggle (and it's a very small one) is when listening on my headphones, one of the female oohs (at 1:23) comes in a little (tiny bit) harshly in the right ear - maybe a slight tweak of the compressor (if there is one) might flatten it a little. Otherwise, this is excellent - well done.

Very pretty song. Nice ambiance to the whole thing.

Very small nit - but to me the mix could use a little bit of "warming up." The vocal sound was cool - but it has the slightest bit of harshness to it. A word here and there seems to "dart out." The guitar is a little "un-warm" as well. I'm probably over exaggerating it - but I did notice it.

This is very nice indeed. My only niggle (and it's a very small one) is when listening on my headphones, one of the female oohs (at 1:23) comes in a little (tiny bit) harshly in the right ear - maybe a slight tweak of the compressor (if there is one) might flatten it a little. Otherwise, this is excellent - well done.
Thanks, I'll check it out.

Really good tune. I especially like the vocal sound you got going. No mix ideas, it sounds like a record to me.
Thanks for the feedback

Very pretty song. Nice ambiance to the whole thing.

Very small nit - but to me the mix could use a little bit of "warming up." The vocal sound was cool - but it has the slightest bit of harshness to it. A word here and there seems to "dart out." The guitar is a little "un-warm" as well. I'm probably over exaggerating it - but I did notice it.
It's kind of funny, I've been told that the guitars are too dark and need to be brightened up a bit. You think just the opposite. Maybe that means they're just right??? I did put a high shelf cut on the guitars. I know what you mean about the vocals. I wanted them really saturated, and it can sound a bit rough. Thanks for sharing your thoughts. I'll mess with 'em a little bit.

Very mice mix and performance.
Kind of the opposite advice as given in Spirit's Nature's Way but just as relevant.

I like it! Clean and clear and the balance is good. Love the vocals!
I find myself remixing stuff and getting better results each time. I think improvement is ongoing for us HR types.... :)

This is really good stuff man!!! I LOVE IT. don't change anything!.
Glad to hear it, thank you.

I like it! Clean and clear and the balance is good. Love the vocals!
I find myself remixing stuff and getting better results each time. I think improvement is ongoing for us HR types.... :)
You're right. I listen to some old stuff I've mixed in the past and wonder "what were you thinking?".

Back