• Audition 3's the best

Votes: 31 60.8%
  • A previous version of Audition is better

Votes: 9 17.6%
  • A version of Cool Edit is better

Votes: 11 21.6%

• Total voters
Part III

There's something else that bugged me about 2.0, in contrast to the earlier versions: it seems like I can easily cut and paste, mix and paste, delete and so on without it affecting the length of the files. When I do the same with 2.0, I end up with a track out of synch because it's now shorter or longer. I'm willing to believe there's something I'm overlooking, but -- with the other things I don't like about 2.0 -- I've never gone back and tried to find out what.

My recordings incorporate live performances with overdubs, or pieces from other recordings inserted into whatever I'm working on. As noted previously I don't do sequencers or loops or other "cheaters" (no offense, everyone I record has a stage band background, and wouldn't know a synth if it ran up to them on stage and wagged its tail).

Tuesday I pieced together a 96-minute lecture with audience questions and edited it down to 76 minutes, so it'd fit on a CD for distribution to persons who had missed the event. The speaker had a wireless directional mic clipped to his shirt, and was recorded into a computer on the premises loaded with CEP 2.0. I set up an additional condenser mic facing the audience, but the configuration of the original wireless setup didn't allow me to record that to CEP simultaneously; I plugged it into a Korg D888 and recorded that track independently of the first. As a consequence, not only were the two tracks not synchronized, they were different overall lengths since the two machines had been started and stopped at slightly different times.

I copied the lecture onto a thumb drive and took it and the Korg home, where I imported both into a single session of AA 1.5.

The first chore was to move the lecture track to Edit View so I could edit out enough time to meet the CD max time limit, so I went through the whole hour and 36 minutes and [ctrl/C] cut out verbal stumbles, false starts, coughs etc until I had a natural sounding track under the 80 minute time limit. Of course, I also did noise reduction and compression as needed.

The audience track then got the noise reduction and compression treatment. I then found the places where the speaker paused to listen to questions, found that particular question on the second track, did a "Bounce to empty track" for that segment and then slid it into place (hard to do perfectly, so I did a crossfade for each instance of inserting the questions).

When I was done, I had a listenable CD with intelligible questions and clarity in all elements.

It was time consuming but next week will be easier (the guy who set up the single-channel wireless will be back from Panama, and we'll have both tracks going into the Korg).

My point? This was all so easy -- if time-consuming -- in the earlier version of Audition. My experience trying similar chores in 2.0 has been frustrating and has usually ended in failure.

I've been trying to find a good program for awhile. I've downloaded every trial version available. I have to say that so far AA3 is pretty cool. The fact that I did not even have to go to the manual or help file has me almost sold on purchasing the full version. I thought I read that some folks are having stability issues with it, is this true? I've had it for about a week now and have not had any stability issues. I am using this on my laptop with the Presonus Firebox, absolutely not latency issues at all.

^6 im thinking alot of the stability issues is more based around the ram of there computers or processors then anything

I've never had a problem with instability (at least since I abandoned 98SE) in all the versions I've used. With me it's specific decisions that Adobe has made.

I've started recording real drums, which involves many tracks, each with their own settings, and yet as we know drums is one instrument overall. I've found the bus system in 3.0 to be super useful - I send all the drums tracks to one bus, and then use the volume control in the bus to adjust drum volume up or down easily. Nice!

I started with CEP 2.1, and graduated to AA 1.5 about two years ago. I've only seen screenshots of the later editions; haven't tried them.

I LOVE 1.5. It has no MIDI, but I do voiceovers and the occasional guitar so it doesn't matter. The interface is fantastically intuitive, and it has absolutely everything I need.

I'll probably use it 'til I croak.

Thumbs for 1.5!!

cool, with AA3 , its way to slow for me, I get impatient sometimes, besides, all my effect presets are in 1.5 lol

1.5 :cool:

Audition 3 > all others

I've been using this prog since it was Cool Edit and even back then I thought it was one of the best audio programs out there. With new versions, new functionalities are added. I don't really see how the older versions could be superior...I prefer Audition to all the others I've tried (Pro Tools, Cubase, Sonar). I find the UI is very well laid out and it's more intuitive and stright-forward. I recently custom built a computer (PC) around Audition and the Delta 1010 and it's like they were made for each other!

I've never had Audition freeze or glitch up on me. If it does, it's probably due to driver conflicts or similar problems outside of Audition. I highly recommend Audition V3.

how many of you have experience with what seems to be the fav CE1.5 and the new AA3.0?

Im a total newb when i comes to recording and I've just got done trying out all the latest software packages, live 7, cubase sx3, ntracks, audacity, well.. not all, but the most popular sans protools.

i like aa3 best so far.

But i am only recording audio from my band. Is there any reason for me to buy aa3 instead of cool edit 1.5?

how many of you have experience with what seems to be the fav CE1.5 and the new AA3.0?

Im a total newb when i comes to recording and I've just got done trying out all the latest software packages, live 7, cubase sx3, ntracks, audacity, well.. not all, but the most popular sans protools.

i like aa3 best so far.

But i am only recording audio from my band. Is there any reason for me to buy aa3 instead of cool edit 1.5?

for me i personally think the mixer alone is a reason to get aa3.....but there are to many reasons to list why else to get aa3.....i see 1.5 as the stripped dummy version, but if you want to get more in depth with a smoother running version get aa31

For features THAT I USE, I prefer AA 3.

For stability, I prefer 1.5

I've been using everything Syntrillium/Adobe has put out in this line since 1999. From the last version of CEP to Adobe 1.0 was obviously seamless...same fucking program. Hell, some of the help files in AA 1.0 still accidentally referred to Syntrillium, lol.

I guess I'm one of the few unfortunate one who has experienced instability issues with every single version since about 2001, but I've come to the conclusion that it has to be the effects I use. For example, for a long time, I've used this thing called "Roomverb M" or something like that...it freaks AA out a lot. Like it'll make a track that has the reverb on it play backwards for a little bit before the rest of the song comes in, lol. Even when the tracks are frozen. Stuff like that.

Sometimes, I'll be playing mix from the multitrack, and all of a sudden, right in the middle of the song, everything will turn to white noise and clip the meters and just about blow my eardrums out. If I unlock all the tracks and then make some minor change to each track, then re-lock them...the problem goes away.

Also, sometimes I'll be mixing down a file, and it'll mix down like half of it fine, but then there's a HUGE drop off to nothing with a very loud click and the rest of the file is just silent, lol. I usually fix this by saving the session, backing out of it, restarting it, and mixing it down again.

And I'll say this...the older versions of Cool Edit were much better about autosaving than the AA versions seem to be. In the old days, when a session would crash, it would come back with maybe the last 1 or 2 moves/edits lost. Now, when it crashes on me, I might lose hours. I try to remember to save as I go a lot more often now, but of all the things that I loved about the program, why in God's name would that part get worse over the years?

Anyway, I've used it on several different computers with tens of audio interfaces, and I love certain things about all versions, but if I could ever get Reaper to look better, I might have a go at it. :D

I used to shun AA2 & 3 cause I loved 1.5. Once you actually get into it AA3 is the best - its as rock solid as your computer and it does so things so much better than the others ever could. I run an entire professional multitrack recording studio using AA3.

Now I don't load any version prior to AA3.

BTW You might want to check out some of these utilities - most are donationware and some like MediaSweeper are invaluable.

http://www.aatranslator.com.au
http://www.mediasweeper.com.au

I like AA 3.0 more because of the Live Monitoring So I can hear myself while recording my vocals.
Also, after all the mixing I do. The mastering plugin is just a sexy touch to the finish line :D. All-in-One Program. I LIIIKE

But AA 1.5, I'd more prefer this program for their mixing. IF ONLY IT HAD LIVE MONITORING

Back