Audio Technica Pro 63 Mic

Don Tonberry

Has anyone ever tried this mic? I know someone who has used the Pro 6 and said it was good. This seems to be an updated version of it. From the few reviews I have read on this mic it seems to be good on instruments and vocals

OK, the Pro63 is a cheap version of the Shure SM57. The DR-GX1 is a cheaper version of the SM57. If you are looking to buy dirt cheap dynamics new, the Behringer XM8500 is at least as good as either of those, and maybe better, for $20 new. However, I believe your money would be better spent buying older, used, better mics for dirt cheap. One of the best buys in that area are the AKG D320 series. I bought my D320B for $36. You can also find deals on used AKG D690's and D770's, or Sennheiser e835/e945. Or for that matter, used SM57/SM58's can often be bought for $50 or less. I would either buy the real thing used, or the Behringer, which is the best and cheapest knockoff out there. The Digital Reference mics are Audio Technica's answer to the Shure PG series, and would be my last choice. If they were the only mics out there, I'd just yell louder. Good luck-Richie

I'll take a look at those mics later. How is the pro63 though? From the reviews i found it seems pretty good and a bit different than the 57

can you tell me about those other mics too? Im mainly looking for an instrument mic

I think if most of us want a mic like an SM57...the SM57 is inexpensive enough for us...Audio Technica makes some really good stuff so I think it must be good for the price.

I'm not sure about the pro 63, I've got a couple of pro 30s which are pretty similar to the sm 58 but with a little less noticable proximity effect. I use them primarily when recording someone used to playing live where they want to get clocer to the mic than is really nessassary for recording. These also work fairly well for a snare mic and cloce micing toms.

I found a used SM-57 for $60, but I've heard that the GLS ES57 is better than the Shure. Of course it's subjective. But I've done more research and the AT seems like a great mic as well.....

Nevermind, the Shure is sold

Last edited:
You might consider Audix mics. I think it's the i5 instead of the 57 and any of there OM vocal mics.............But again purchase used to save money.

OK, the Pro63 is a cheap version of the Shure SM57. The DR-GX1 is a cheaper version of the SM57. If you are looking to buy dirt cheap dynamics new, the Behringer XM8500 is at least as good as either of those, and maybe better, for $20 new. However, I believe your money would be better spent buying older, used, better mics for dirt cheap. One of the best buys in that area are the AKG D320 series. I bought my D320B for $36. You can also find deals on used AKG D690's and D770's, or Sennheiser e835/e945. Or for that matter, used SM57/SM58's can often be bought for $50 or less. I would either buy the real thing used, or the Behringer, which is the best and cheapest knockoff out there. The Digital Reference mics are Audio Technica's answer to the Shure PG series, and would be my last choice. If they were the only mics out there, I'd just yell louder. Good luck-Richie

Richard once again (as with omtayslick giving you a great line thumbs up) you've hit it right on the head with this reply.

Can anyone give opinions on the GLS ES57? Some have said it sounds similar to the SM57 except a little brighter and a bit less bass. I've also heard that the OSP DL-330 is almost an exact copy of the SM57. If these two aren't worth it I just might buy the Audio Technica and complete my search

EDIT: In this shootout it seems like the ES57 is a little darker and different than the Shure.

http://spottedmuse.com/shootout/

I might narrow it down to the OSP (which someone I know uses and it's pretty good) or the AT Pro 63 (based on a review, it seems good)

http://www.livesoundint.com/archives/2005/feb/testdrive.pdf

Last edited:
Sorry to dwell on this for so long but I got a great deal on an AKG Perception Condenser. Can anyone tell me how good it is on guitar cabs, acoustic, and vocals?

Will any stand work to attach the shockmount to the stand?

Last edited:
Sorry to dwell on this for so long but I got a great deal on an AKG Perception Condenser. Can anyone tell me how good it is on guitar cabs, acoustic, and vocals?

Will any stand work to attach the shockmount to the stand?

First- "Perception" is a whole series of mics, and I didn't see what model. They are made for AKG in China, with quality control supported from Austria. In my experience, which is limited (I've used 2 models, both large diaphragm condensers), they have sounded like the upper echelon of cheap to mid priced Chinese condensers. What does that mean? I think they are comparable to Studio Projects, older RODE mics, and CAD, at similar price points. Most Chinese mics are like a China cymbal on a drum kit. It's kind of cheap, and you wouldn't use it for everything, but it's a handy thing to have, because sometimes it's what you need. There are very few mics that I like on vocals, acoustic, *and* cabs. I find that those three sources tend to favor different mics. The Perceprions I have used (120 and 400) seemed to me to be fair on a real clear voice and better on acoustic (trying for that C414 thing). Whether that's good on cabs depends on your cab and your opinion. I wouldn't mind trying out their $700 Perception tube mic up against a Rode K2 or Studio Projects T3. So basically, I think the Perception series is what it is fair to expect in its price range. Nothing special, but it doesn't suck, either. I am a big fan of the not-Chinese (so far) C2000B. For its price, I think that is something a little special. -Richie

P.S. Yes- shock mounts usually have standardized threads to fit American mic stands. Note that often a shock mount or mic clip comes with an adaptor to fit a European mic stand. It's slotted, so you can use a dime to take the adaptor out.

First- "Perception" is a whole series of mics, and I didn't see what model. They are made for AKG in China, with quality control supported from Austria. In my experience, which is limited (I've used 2 models, both large diaphragm condensers), they have sounded like the upper echelon of cheap to mid priced Chinese condensers. What does that mean? I think they are comparable to Studio Projects, older RODE mics, and CAD, at similar price points. Most Chinese mics are like a China cymbal on a drum kit. It's kind of cheap, and you wouldn't use it for everything, but it's a handy thing to have, because sometimes it's what you need. There are very few mics that I like on vocals, acoustic, *and* cabs. I find that those three sources tend to favor different mics. The Perceprions I have used (120 and 400) seemed to me to be fair on a real clear voice and better on acoustic (trying for that C414 thing). Whether that's good on cabs depends on your cab and your opinion. I wouldn't mind trying out their $700 Perception tube mic up against a Rode K2 or Studio Projects T3. So basically, I think the Perception series is what it is fair to expect in its price range. Nothing special, but it doesn't suck, either. I am a big fan of the not-Chinese (so far) C2000B. For its price, I think that is something a little special. -Richie

Oh yeah, I forgot. It's a Perception 100.

Back