Audio Mixer levels, gain, master etc.

danbs10

Hi, please help.

I am recording acoustic guitar and all my equipment is pretty much industry standard.
I just have a question. When I brought my mixer it says in the instructions that I should turn the gain up until the red "peak" light flashes and then adjust my master volume accordingly.
But why is this so.
I currently have the gain turned up to around 48% and the master output volume at around 50% and I do get a nice recording from that. So am I missing something here? should I really have my gain turned all the way up?
Please advise me.

Many thanks

Dan

What mixer are you using?

I have, in the past, encountered mixers where the "peak" light is set to flash when the level crosses 0dBVU (as opposed to being an indicator of clipping). If you have one that works this way, the instructions make sense--otherwise, it sounds a bit silly to me.

Assuming this mixer has USB output? Otherwise, why are you using a mixer instead of an audio interface?

Sounds like 'old school' (analog) advice.

Probably just their way of giving a ref point to set up the input. No meters likely(?) then they do 'red on the highest expected level = some db below clipping. Otherwise there could do a nominal' level light 20 or so below that, or a meter and have you place the average level rather than going by peak.
Different ways to get to about the same place. Either way you'd expect to have at least a decent range of level in and around there that works fine.

Assuming this mixer has USB output? Otherwise, why are you using a mixer instead of an audio interface?

Sounds like 'old school' (analog) advice.
So... we don't get to use mixers now? :p :rolleyes:
Hell that's old school digi advice anyway. 'Run it just under clipping'... :D

Are you using the Boss BR recorder by any chance? I had a BR1180CD and it had no input meters but it did have a red light on the pre amp that flashed when it was too hot.
I would make sure the red light never flashes, but also try and keep your levels up. 60% seems fine.

G

Back