Audio Interfaces Which one?

DD83

Hi, I've been doing home recording for the last 15 years and have used multiple interfaces in that time. I had the MOTU 828, MOTU 2408MK3 and thought it was decent but upgraded to the RME Multiface-2 and love it. I have recently been looking into getting something new and different. I am looking at the UA Apollo, the RME UFX and the Apogee-Ensemble. Anyone with any experience with any of these units would be greatly appreciated. I used to think the Multiface was more stable due to the PCI/PCI-E but now realize firewire is just as stable. I also like that the RME is cross platform but plan on getting a Macbook pro so thats not a deal breaker for me. I am trying to stay around or under $2000. unless convinced otherwise. I will be running a bit of outboard gear, probably at least 4 synths, a sampler or two and at least one compressor, mic pre, and fx unit. I do mainly electro and hip hop. Thanks again for any input.

Hi, I've been doing home recording for the last 15 years and have used multiple interfaces in that time. I had the MOTU 828, MOTU 2408MK3 and thought it was decent but upgraded to the RME Multiface-2 and love it. I have recently been looking into getting something new and different. I am looking at the UA Apollo, the RME UFX and the Apogee-Ensemble. Anyone with any experience with any of these units would be greatly appreciated. I used to think the Multiface was more stable due to the PCI/PCI-E but now realize firewire is just as stable. I also like that the RME is cross platform but plan on getting a Macbook pro so thats not a deal breaker for me. I am trying to stay around or under $2000. unless convinced otherwise. I will be running a bit of outboard gear, probably at least 4 synths, a sampler or two and at least one compressor, mic pre, and fx unit. I do mainly electro and hip hop. Thanks again for any input.

Well after further research I answered my own question and have decided to go w/RME.

I'm not familiar with the RME or apogee, but I do have the Apollo and love it. Still, you probably won't go wrong with the choice you made.

If you're using windows, unfortunately firewire isn't so stable for the UAD stuff. You have to get specific firewire cards. Kind of a pita. I think everything works great on a mac (dammit, did I just say that?)

if the Apollo Twin was available when I bought my Apollo, I would have gotten that.

But I've heard good thing about RME stuff. Good luck and have fun!!

Back