Audio Interface shopping (low-end)

joey2000

Kicking this around and wondering what y'all have used and what you did/didn't like about it....other general info in this regard could be helpful as well. Browsing the net frankly for the most part has told me little beyond a spec sheet and they all pretty much recommend the same stuff...and who knows if that's a straight-up opinion or companies tossing them a little kickback to hype their model..

For me, the needs and wants are simple:

- 2 in/out
- USB powered
- MIDI in/out
- Windows compatible

I don't care about high sample rates, how it looks, how big/small it is, or what software comes with it. I care about those things above, along with best quality preamps possible. I'd also like 60+db gain if possible but not a must as I plan to use/experiment with a dynamic mic.

I think you might have to toss some performance with USB power. The ART DPS II draws 16-watts, for example.

I've got the 2i2 when I want to use the laptop for some mobile recording. It lacks the midi connections (though most midi can be done via USB) and it doesn't have a blend/balance knob. Everything else about it is nice. The Focusrite 2i4 covers all those deficiencies. You didn't mention budget. To me, the blend/balance knob thingy is the most important feature.

Those are my thoughts.

I'm currently just using the 4 channel interface in my Yamaha MOX BUT...

If I were to buy an interface ( and I did a bunch of comparing / shopping over the last few months)...I am totally impressed with what I am seeing in the Behringers Uphoria offering and they start REAL inexpensive with fantastic reviews ( lots of them)

I've got the 2i2 when I want to use the laptop for some mobile recording. It lacks the midi connections (though most midi can be done via USB) and it doesn't have a blend/balance knob. Everything else about it is nice. The Focusrite 2i4 covers all those deficiencies. You didn't mention budget. To me, the blend/balance knob thingy is the most important feature.

Those are my thoughts.
Thx - yeah the lack of MIDI is pretty much a deal-breaker for me. Would appreciate hearing more about the blend/balance knob and why you feel it's a big thing. (Straight ahead question, not disagreeing per se)

I'm currently just using the 4 channel interface in my Yamaha MOX BUT...

If I were to buy an interface ( and I did a bunch of comparing / shopping over the last few months)...I am totally impressed with what I am seeing in the Behringers Uphoria offering and they start REAL inexpensive with fantastic reviews ( lots of them)
Wow funny you should say that as i just noticed their lowest end one was only $30! Definitely checking those out (various models)....though I have to wonder how good the preamps are.....

EDIT: I just found out that only their $300 model has MIDI. :(

EDIT TO THE EDIT: nm. I just found out that the tech spt person I spoke to online was clueless. Still checking which do/don't have MIDI. :rolleyes:

Hi Joey,
You DO want MIDI ports on an interface because there is rarely any other way to get a MIDI input.

With one slight reservation I shall (again!) reccy the Native Instruments Komplete Audio 6. Yes, two more line ins/outs than you asked for AND digital but you never know!
The KA6 has VERY low latency and 'MIDI people' tend to want this. Drivers are super stable. The reservation? Mic gain is about 55dB iirc but, I have recorded acoustice guitar 1 foot from an SM57 and with the gain flat out the room noise was higher than the pre amp noise. Very clean preamps.

A later and some say slightly better AI (and better than all others at the price!) is the Zoom UAC-2. Meets your spec exactly, 2 in 2 out + MIDI. Not sure what the pre amp gain is but gotta leave you SOME work to do!

Dave.

..".though I have to wonder how good the preamps are".....

You are looking to buy cheap preamps. You say "Low-End". The State of the Art Low-End will be about the same across the board. I have two old Tascam USB powered, and while I don't think they were part of the State of the Art Low-End, they are still right there. If you were talking about the Behringer models, the Midas designed preamps should be fine.

Hi Joey,
You DO want MIDI ports on an interface because there is rarely any other way to get a MIDI input.
? Yep that's why I mentioned it :) I'm a keyboard guy so it's pointless not to have. There are other ways but why muck w/that when I don't have to?

With one slight reservation I shall (again!) reccy the Native Instruments Komplete Audio 6. Yes, two more line ins/outs than you asked for AND digital but you never know!
The KA6 has VERY low latency and 'MIDI people' tend to want this. Drivers are super stable. The reservation? Mic gain is about 55dB iirc but, I have recorded acoustice guitar 1 foot from an SM57 and with the gain flat out the room noise was higher than the pre amp noise. Very clean preamps.
Thx! Yeah I had my eye on them earlier...throwing Kontakt Elements in there doesn't hurt either. :) My only (also slight) reservation is I'd rather not fork out $200+ when a ballpark $100ish AI will probably do just fine, but it's not out of the running. The 55db gain is a little under what I hope for (60+) but should be close enough to work (this is why presonus is out, they tend to be weak on gain in my price range). Side note, I'm amazed (and highly annoyed) that gain isn't a standard part of any spec sheet. :mad:

A later and some say slightly better AI (and better than all others at the price!) is the Zoom UAC-2. Meets your spec exactly, 2 in 2 out + MIDI. Not sure what the pre amp gain is but gotta leave you SOME work to do!
At $250, I'd probably just opt for the slightly cheaper Audio 6, but thx :)

I was looking at that. I don't need 4x4 but for the price it's well worth looking at. Trying to find out what kind of gain it has.....

"Well, one searches the interface along with a low output dynamic MIC to see what they can do. What they can do on 500mA USB power. "
Not sure what you are saying there G? (Surprise! Surprise!) but if you are alluding to the 500mA power limit of USB 2.0 being a problem for AIs? Ain't so. Well, not a lot.

Take an AI with 2 mic/line/HZ ins and 2 more balanced line ins? You can make a VERY good mic pre that consumes around 12mA (1 dual IC +2 BJTs) Another chip gives you the line ins, say 8mA? That gives you 32mA. The supply rails will need to be up converted from 5 to say +&-15 so a 1:6 current boost, 192mA. Yes you have the CPU to power but likely DOWN converted by an SMPSU to 3.3V and phantom power*, H/P* juice and some ancillaries but it CAN be done under 500mA.

It is true that to get the ultimate in low noise and high headroom, mic pre amps have to use very low internal resistances and that means they pull more current but such devices are only a few dB better for noise than the better AIs. Then, AIs rarely deliver more than +12/+14dBu from their line outputs but they don't need to, +10dBu is more than enough to fully drive any active monitor I am aware of and most hit max SPL at 0dBu.

*This is where the compromises can show. +48V often has far less than the 10mA per channel proper spec' but then most modern capacitor mics need 2mA or less and I saw a spec for one very well specified mic (yeah, fergot!) that needed just 9V. Now, at that voltage I dare say ultimate SPL headroom would be limited but we is talking HOME recording! SPLs in excess of 100dB are not likely.
Headphone output is often puny on many AIs (many with Rat power!) but this is more a 'gain' thing than brute force.

OP: Gain specifications. Yes. There are..'Lies, damned lies and specifications!" Actually, giving a gain figure, XdB for a mic pre in an AI is not that helpful. What we REALLY need to know is 'X mV in for say -18dB FS' in the DAW. We know the approximate output of common mics (SM57/58 ~1mV at 90dBSPL) or we can quickly find it for most decent mics. NOW! Be aware. V old audio fart about to opine!

WAAAAAY back in the day we had (in UK) about 3 very decent magazines dealing with audio matters. Hardly an issue came out without someone taking a mnfctr to task (often a reviewer in the mag itself) for sloppy, badly written or incomplete specifications. The result was a general improvement in such specs. Often there would be a bit of a cow between mag and mnfctr as to what this or that meant. Great reading!

Today there are no such 'Spec Police' Some magazines do their best but the sheer scale of new kit pouring onto the market each month means they can never catch up, leave alone have the time to improve things...Fork! When was the last time you read of a 48V load test or one for monitor self noise?

OAF ceased.

Dave.

Have a look at the Alesis iO2.

It seems to fit your whole spec and sells generally for just under $100. I bought one (well, actually an M-Audio M Track but they're the same box with different badges) about 3 years ago for a specific project (playback only in a theatre) but since then I've found it punches well above its weight and I use it for qute a few other things, particularly location recording. The preamps are good enough that you can run them full up without undue noise--I've used them successfully with very low output dynamic mics.

The unit is USB powered, direct hardwre monitoring with a mix control, switchable line/instrument on the quarter inch inputs, etc. Their ASIO drivers seem nic and solid. MIDI in and out via the usual DIN connectors.

Anyway, worth a look.

Another vote for the i02 here.

I bought one second hand, £40 iirc and was most impressed. As you say Bobbs, mic amps are really very good. I only did a cursory comparison with a my KA6 and 8i6 but for noise and converter quality there was nothing to choose between them.

The wee AI just goes to show that you CAN have MIDI I/O on a very inexpensive device and it should IMHO be a feature of every interface.

I actually 'donated' mine to a forumite...LOVE to know how he is getting on with it!

Dave.

"Not sure what you are saying there G? (Surprise! Surprise!) but if you are alluding to the 500mA power limit of USB 2.0 being a problem for AIs? Ain't so. Well, not a lot".

Ya, I try to suggest the State of the Art Cheap does great for what it is - way, way back # 9. I'm not that impressed with the MIC sections in my interfaces. Now, mine are not the latest and greatest : ) After my post $9, I tried to count my MIC preamps from memory and I got to 100. Then I ran for a coffee refill and saw two more coming back from the kitchen. That's enough to make comparisons and discover what has merit.

You mentioned the noise and headroom, but kinda' forgot about the headroom. That's not just a level thing, but anything that requires current - like Moog Bass.

Now, we get the jack breakouts away from the Graphics Card, but computer power is still far from what what we should want for good audio, and, in my photo, there is a PIC of a MIC, a PIC of no preamp, and a PIC of the ADC section. You really don't want that digital section inside the cheap interface : ) Now my 13-watt ART DPS at least has the digital section tucked away in a corner on its own board.

You really don't want that digital section inside the cheap interface

There was once a time when converters were separate and kept well away from other electronic stuff.

These days, even the cheapest interfaces are performing very well and delivering damn fine quality.

There was once a time when converters were separate and kept well away from other electronic stuff.

These days, even the cheapest interfaces are performing very well and delivering damn fine quality.

They still do one way or another. I mentioned in some other thread my reference DVD/CD player lets me turn off power to the Digital out. No, its the MFG tossing out good Audio practice. "What they don't know, what hurt them"- type of deal. And we see that with the lack of meaningful specs

Actually, I buy the cheap small run Chinese digital to see what the state of the art (no caps) is;
High-Performance-MUSE-HI-FI-DAC-TDA1543-DIR9001-Decoder-Digital-Coaxial-Optical.jpg

"You mentioned the noise and headroom, but kinda' forgot about the headroom. That's not just a level thing, but anything that requires current - like Moog Bass." Smoog bass! The signal does not matter, a line output loaded with 10k Ohms or above (as it should be) will deliver the correct current, (that's naff all!) regardless of the instrument.

AND! You cannot divorce analogue from digital circuitry. EVERY a/d needs a carefully designed ANALOGUE amplifier (often an NEXXX) to drive it and an equally carefully designed ANALOGUE amp (Very often an NEXXX !) to extract the signal, often in 'current' form, from the D/A.

Read Duggy Self's book!

Dave.

Back