Audio crash

slinky

Hi all,
I recently did some layered audio recording - about 10 lanes on each of 2 audio tracks in Cubase sx. When I try to play back, the pc crashes - The screen goes black! Any clues?

What do you remember doing before the crash?

Usually you can trace problems back to the last things you were doing when it was working.

Did it suddenly crash while you were working on your project? If so do you remember adding any effects before the crash occurred or loading any other type of plugin while recording?

Did you install any new software recently?

How long was your computer working before it actually crash. Was it running all 10 track fine then suddenly crash?

When the computer actually crashes does it restart, reboot or does it hang or freeze up?

Does your computer still work fine? or it works, but cubase doesn't.

What OS do you use?
What kind of CPU do you have?
How much memory do you have?
What kind of sound card are you using?

Hi,

I`m using win xp home v. 2002
AMD Athlon 64 3000+
1 GB RAM
Yamaha SW1000 XG sound card

When I try to play back, just the midi drum track plays while the curser stumbles and then I get the error window (error report) option - I click `don`t send` and cubase disappears - back to the desktop and then a black screen and I have to hold in the start button etc.

I`m going to start a new song from scratch and try to see what happens with a more analytical approach

Have you had any other problems with midi in the past?

May I ask where your midi data is going? Perhaps to a VSTi or some outboard gear perhaps?

If it's going outside your computer then you may have a problem with some settings inside cubase itself. This assumming you never had any problem with midi before. Perhaps some setting got change accidently.

If you are running a vsti you could try to remove it to see if it still freezes up cubase otherewise it maybe a problem with the vsti software itself.

I havn`t had any problems with midi before except that since I upgraded to cubase sx I havn`t been able to use the soft synth (XG Edit) which came with my SW1000XG soundcard. I have tried using multi client drivers like hubis loopback and midi yoke but when I try to set up the ins and outs for the synth it will only say that the ports are in use. So after spending too much time trying to sort this out I have given up on this one.

So now I am experimenting with the sounds I have and applying effects which is interesting. I don`t have any outboard gear except amp and monitors and guitars of course!

Erm JMARQUES... while you`re there I noticed the mic links on your post.......
Maybe you can help me there too.. I`m looking for a mic to record acoustic guitar into cubase and also one for recording natural sounds eg trains.
I don`t have a mixer so I guess phantom power could be a problem. could I get away with one mic. I know that some have batteries to produce the power.

Cheers

slinky said:
I havn`t had any problems with midi before except that since I upgraded to cubase sx I havn`t been able to use the soft synth (XG Edit) which came with my SW1000XG soundcard. I have tried using multi client drivers like hubis loopback and midi yoke but when I try to set up the ins and outs for the synth it will only say that the ports are in use. So after spending too much time trying to sort this out I have given up on this one.

So now I am experimenting with the sounds I have and applying effects which is interesting. I don`t have any outboard gear except amp and monitors and guitars of course!

Erm JMARQUES... while you`re there I noticed the mic links on your post.......
Maybe you can help me there too.. I`m looking for a mic to record acoustic guitar into cubase and also one for recording natural sounds eg trains.
I don`t have a mixer so I guess phantom power could be a problem. could I get away with one mic. I know that some have batteries to produce the power.

Cheers

Hehh, LOL I'm no expert on mics. You are probably be better off posting your question to someone who has more experience mics then I do in the microphone section.

I have the link because I find it has alot of useful information. Unfortunely it doesn't really talk about specific mikes for specific task.

Sorry I couldn't help on that one :(

Back