Attention moderators! Serious issue in need of attention!

I also rarely contribute to the review style threads or the what's the best x for y threads. Gear is such a subjective thing. I would challenge anyone to discredit any of the info I post that is content or fact specific in relation to my expertise. For me thats the way it should be. If the Guitar and bass forum was full of guys flogging their gear or trying to make a buck you wouldn't see me for dust. I have to put up with that crap in my working life.

That's a good policy. I try to limit myself to technical posts, but often my integrity gets questioned anyway. As an analogy, it's as if I were a guitar builder, and I only did gits with underwound humbuckers (which is what I would do). I wouldn't sell many, which is OK with me, but then if I ever posted anything about how pickups work, no matter how neutral, I would be rejected.

It's lonely at the top :o

That's a good policy. I try to limit myself to technical posts, but often my integrity gets questioned anyway. As an analogy, it's as if I were a guitar builder, and I only did gits with underwound humbuckers (which is what I would do). I wouldn't sell many, which is OK with me, but then if I ever posted anything about how pickups work, no matter how neutral, I would be rejected.

It's lonely at the top :o

I don't think you would, I'd be happy to talk the subject anytime.. Don't get me wrong I've had some run ins with plenty of folks in the guitar and bass forum thats because I'm confident that what I know is credible and the years I've spent acquiring that knowledge has supported the science and facts behind it. Thats the way I argue it.

If someone tries to tell me it ain't so or puts forward a junk theory or analysis, I'll correct it. When they try and tell me I'm wrong I'll point them to places that prove otherwise. If they persist I pile on. BUT I always leave it at the back button. If the same person speaks to me in another thread I'll give them exactly the same courtesy as anyone else.

I guess what I'm saying is that the lack of commercial influence on these boards is a large part of it's appeal. I know what the real deal is as far as guitars and their construction and the acoustics etc. I also know how much bunkum there is out there about them. My role if you like is to present the reality of it all not the commercial spin. That's very hard if there is a commercial interest in the board or users. So I'm with you, keep the commercial posts out all together if we know our stuff we can help others without selling our wares, our product or service will stand on it's own regardless.

That's a good policy. I try to limit myself to technical posts, but often my integrity gets questioned anyway.

Oh and my integrity and validity gets questioned all the time as well. That really doesn't bother me because I know what I know and physics is physics. The rest is up for grabs. I've been insulted by experts before ask the guys in G&B..:D

It ain't no biggie. Everyone here soon gets a feel for the way people post and the extent of their knowledge. I know who I'd ask for info on specific subjects and you'd be in that bunch.

mshilarious,

I know this is probably a silly question but: are you aware that you've disabled receiving private messages?:rolleyes:

Yes, I disabled them long ago, because people kept using PMs rather than sending me an email regarding my products. That is annoying, because it prevents me from keeping a record of conversations, and it's also a rules violation--using the PM system to run a commercial business ;)

My email address attached to my profile works fine though :)

Last edited:
you're taking the mic example too literally!!!

Nope not at all. I rarely if ever advise on what gear to get. It's all good if it's right for you. Can you remember me seriously hard selling anything other than to say that's what I use, 510's, J16's etc.

You may be ribbin' me but Msh has a valid point in all this.;)

It wouldn't be a terrible idea to have a Retail board where dealers are allowed to post, perhaps in exchange for a financial arrangement

Not a bad idea at all, so long as it's somewhere else.

Make no mistake, I like your products and have purchased some of them. But I don't like the idea that this should be a place bought and paid for by businessmen with a captive audience rather than a place based on the free exchange of information.

Nothing prevents dealers from posting here. What dealers can't do here is market products. Not suggesting you do or might. Just that the door is would then be open.

Last edited:
Not a bad idea at all, so long as it's somewhere else.

Make no mistake, I like your products and have purchased some of them. But I don't like the idea that this should be a place bought and paid for by businessmen with a captive audience rather than a place based on the free exchange of information.

Nothing prevents dealers from posting here. What dealers can't do here is market products. Not suggesting you do or might. Just that the door is would then be open.

I am ambivalent about the idea myself, but there is one significant change I would suggest in your analysis: it wouldn't turn the board into a captive audience for vendors--that the board already is. I can buy ads on any page, and unless you block that ad, you will be my captive audience.

Instead, this would create a subforum of dealer posts that everyone would be free to ignore--and the overwhelming majority of posters would do exactly that.

That's why I am ambivalent about the idea--it doesn't work terribly well for the vendors. Regular ads work much better.

But it does send a clear message to vendors that if they are forced to either buy ads or buy access to the vendor board, that freeloading spam won't be tolerated.

Anyway, after some signs of life from the owners that they were going to do something about moderation, I have noticed very little progress since the inception of this thread :(

On the flip side the Group Buy thread has it's own way of generating capital for this forum.
There have been quite a few new members that joined these forums because of that thread. Some partake in other threads and are good contributors to the board as a whole, dr.Bill for example.
I have a feeling that is why the thread is allowed to thrive. If they locked it, a lot of people would be pissed. And many would probably abandon ship. People=money for forums. 6,933 replies and 304,932 views is nothing to scoff at.

Having said that, I totally understand why this would be an issue to you. You are a paying customer of HR.com, and someone is getting a free lunch. I don't know what I would do in your situation. From a business perspective, if the thread was locked or Chance was banned and it was blamed on you, I bet there will a few PO'd potential or past customers of yours. I'd hate to see that happen. You are an awesome contributor and do have a great product. I do respect that you are standing up for yourself.

On the flip side the Group Buy thread has it's own way of generating capital for this forum.
There have been quite a few new members that joined these forums because of that thread. Some partake in other threads and are good contributors to the board as a whole, dr.Bill for example.
I have a feeling that is why the thread is allowed to thrive. If they locked it, a lot of people would be pissed. And many would probably abandon ship. People=money for forums. 6,933 replies and 304,932 views is nothing to scoff at.

Having said that, I totally understand why this would be an issue to you. You are a paying customer of HR.com, and someone is getting a free lunch. I don't know what I would do in your situation. From a business perspective, if the thread was locked or Chance was banned and it was blamed on you, I bet there will a few PO'd potential or past customers of yours. I'd hate to see that happen. You are an awesome contributor and do have a great product. I do respect that you are standing up for yourself.

Let's back up a step. I am not talking about the group buy per se, and have no qualms with Chance running a nonprofit business. I think it should be in Free Ads, but I'm not going to move it at this point, that would be unhelpfully confusing. I have suggested to the owners that any future group buy be directed to Free Ads, but I don't have any guidance on that issue yet. Page views are good, but proper forum classification is helpful too.

It's the other people coming in and trying to profit off of the group buy that is the issue.

Also, I will not account for any potential effects on my business as a result of being moderator here. I would resign as moderator before I refuse to enforce a clear rule because I was worried about backlash. I've got more stones than that.

Let's back up a step. I am not talking about the group buy per se, and have no qualms with Chance running a nonprofit business. I think it should be in Free Ads, but I'm not going to move it at this point, that would be unhelpfully confusing. I have suggested to the owners that any future group buy be directed to Free Ads, but I don't have any guidance on that issue yet. Page views are good, but proper forum classification is helpful too.

It's the other people coming in and trying to profit off of the group buy that is the issue.

Also, I will not account for any potential effects on my business as a result of being moderator here. I would resign as moderator before I refuse to enforce a clear rule because I was worried about backlash. I've got more stones than that.

I think Chance falls under the heading of dealer and shouldnt be in Free Ads...I think the group buyers should have their own BBS instead of spreading it across all the audio Boards...

I think Chance falls under the heading of dealer and shouldnt be in Free Ads...I think the group buyers should have their own BBS instead of spreading it across all the audio Boards...

Hey man, I don't make the rules, I just cuff the perps and toss 'em in the back of my squad car, then I get up to 100 on the freeway and slam on the brakes :D

you want it in free ads section, yet free ads rules state:

"Looking to buy or sell music or recording equipment? Private parties only, please (no dealers or SPAM), and by using this forum you acknowledge that all deals are being made solely between the parties involved."

if one can say Chance is a dealer, it would be against forum rules for it to be there...

pretty much the way the New Rep thread is allowed to stay in Live Events so they can get their post counts up, so I would expect it to be okay with the admin...

more of the same...

Back