Artists Signature Guitars

I don't mind things like the avril lavigne sig cos it's a basically just a squire and costs about 200 quid. If that inspires some kid to pick up a guitar then it's a good thing.

Copying relicing is just weird and a bit creepy. .. do these people wear a costume and make up to look like their hero then play in front of a full length mirror while listening to a backing track?

The John Petrucci "Majesty" is about the only guitar I'd pay more than $500 for. What an incredible guitar! I'd never buy a Gibson Les Paul at their current pricing let alone a signature Les Paul that adds a couple of grand to an already stupid price.

A signature guitar is a waste of money in my opinion, unless you are a well heeled collector.
Notice i used the word collector not player.
:-)

Bottom line. Buy what you like. The opinions of others dont matter.

The only signature instruments that interest me at the moment are the Sting signature 50s P bass and the Adam Clayton Jazz bass, both Fender. It's the not endorsements but the overall package. I'd particularly like to have a mid-50s style P bass with a single coil pickup and the body contours. I tried out a Sting bass, an older one made in Japan. Sounded beautiful, but the truss rod was frozen so I passed.

Back in the '80s, I had an Ibanez Paul Stanley model Iceman. I was able to pick it up for normal Iceman money because kiss wasn't a big thing in 85, and Paul wasn't playing Ibanez at the time.

It was a really nice guitar, until the neck got squirrelly. I think I traded it in for a Kramer or some other piece of shit. If I would have kept that thing, I could have sold it a few years ago for about $10k.

I was recently at guitar center and the only epiphone les paul that played worth a damn was the red Slash model.

I have a few. Mostly JS Ibby's, but also have one Jem ,a LP Axcess and a Fender Stu Hamm bass. I'm a collector and player. Started playing in 64 so I've had a lifetime to get to where I'm at. 35 guitars in my collection. Here are some pics.

Cheers, J

Here are a couple I recorded with sig models. The first one was done with
a JS 2400 . The second was done with the LP Axcess.
Cheers, J

Last edited:
I've had my EC Strat since 98 when I bought it new. Plain and simple - I love the feel and the tone.

Belleswell. That's a cool collection.

"Shred Guitars" are generally pretty loathed on there 'cos of their association with virtuosity over musicality. I own a MIJ Ibanez RG though and I still love it even though I only play fixed bridge guitars these days. I quite like the the JS models too although I've only ever played on cheap ones. I like that one you've got with the crazy graphics; it makes it look less shreddy - bet it cost a fortune!

I generally prefer my guitar not to be named after some dude.

I did buy a Joe Satriani Ibanez 10 years ago because I really liked the way it played. It is a nice guitar and it fits certain applications but the Rickenbacker and the Strat still get more use.

I don't like sign guitars. If I'm going to mod a stock gtr I want it to be exactly the way I want it, my signature model if you will.

Belleswell. That's a cool collection.

"Shred Guitars" are generally pretty loathed on there 'cos of their association with virtuosity over musicality. I own a MIJ Ibanez RG though and I still love it even though I only play fixed bridge guitars these days. I quite like the the JS models too although I've only ever played on cheap ones. I like that one you've got with the crazy graphics; it makes it look less shreddy - bet it cost a fortune!

What's nice about many of these is that I can sell many for much more than I paid. The Chromeboy has doubled in value for me.

The "Snake" replica is a JS 1000 with a fancy paint job done by Shadoe Mckee at Beyond Custom guitars. She does a very nice job. It was painted in the same motif as Joe's one of a kind Snake guitar. It is another I could sell for a profit. Thanks.
Cheers, J

pics of the Snake replica.

That's actually not too expensive as new Les Pauls go. Nice looking axe. I'm sick to death of the Triple-A flamey monster top look. Give me a plain top any time. Actually, don't. I've got one Les Paul and that is all I will ever need. SGs, now...

I have a plain gold top LP I love , but also love a nice flame top.

Last edited:
VOX Phantom VI Guitar Orig From JOY Division Exhibition Identical TO IAN Curtis | eBay
$_57.JPG
On a slightly different track BUT here's a guitar with a BIN price of almost AUS$20K. Now, I LOVE the guitar & the inbuilt effects and have wanted one for eons but was not prepared to fork out the almost AUS$1000 that I'd seen it going for. Now THIS guitar just happens to be the SAME MODEL as used by Ian Curtis in the Love Will Tear Us Apart vid. It's even packaged in a case that has Joy Division stenciled on it. Based on it's resemblance they are asking a price that might, conceivably, be paid if it were the tool of Mr Curtis. Hopefully it won't sell.

Totally biased, but trem on a Les Paul...not right.
I agree. I don't even like a Bigsby. But a Floyd Rose - Holy shit!!!

I know I am biased, but Crimson build some very subtle ball bearing trems which they insist give good tuning stability.

Thought I'd weigh in here. I'm not a huge fan of signature guitars, but I do have the Elliot Easton signature SG which I LOVE! He's a great player with a huge lefty collection and excellent taste in guitars. He had always wanted a SG custom without that annoying middle pickup. I also like that he's a fellow lefty. ;)

Enjoy - Brian
flock2.jpg

Back