ART Tube MP Studio and MXL 990 microphone

rotren

I just got an MXL 990 microphone and an ART Tube MP Studio. I just want to record some voice-overs for web videos and I am hoping this will be good enough.

My first question is, to those of you who are used to the ART MP Studio, how much should you need to turn up the input before getting a hot enough signal with a condenser mic?

I am having to use the +20dB Gain switch and the input almost all the way up to get a strong enough of a signal when I am speaking (at normal speaking volume). I am assuming that is not normal. What could be the issue here?

Second question - the ART has a 1/4" line out jack and an XLR out - which kind should I use to go into my USB audio interface, 1/4" or XLR?

Last edited:
Never mind, I think I got it now. I am noticing some noise, but too bad. I keep the input not so high on the preamp, and turn up the input on the USB a bit, then I get the least noise. Works for me.

This is a cheap mic, but I quite impressed so far with its value for the money.

well the mic you have is a condenser mic and condenser mics require 48v phantom power, and there should be a switch on your art tube preamp that activates the 48v phantom power.

best of luck to you

Back