Any tips on harsh vocals?

alley_boy12

FOLLOW ME @bigxlisto
THERES TIMES WHEN DEALING WITH SIBILANCE OR HARSH VOCALS AND NO MATTER HOW PRECISE I AM WITH THE E.Q I CANT SEEM TOO QUITE GET RID OF THAT HARSHNESS! IS THERE ANY TIPS OR TECHNIQUES ANY GUYS MIGHT SUGGEST?

THERES TIMES WHEN DEALING WITH SIBILANCE OR HARSH VOCALS AND NO MATTER HOW PRECISE I AM WITH THE E.Q I CANT SEEM TOO QUITE GET RID OF THAT HARSHNESS! IS THERE ANY TIPS OR TECHNIQUES ANY GUYS MIGHT SUGGEST?
Some reason you are yelling? Anyway - what Mic(s) , preamps, compression, recording device are you using? And whose vocals are they? Yours?

Is it your vocals or everyone you record? Does the same vocalist sound different when recorded somewhere else, or is it actually the performance you are trying to “fix?”

As John says, start at the source:

Room: Have you moved and tried a different position?
Mic: What are you using? Have you tried another mic?
Compressor: Are you compressing on the way in, possibly affecting the freqency response that way?
Singer's Technique: Breathing/addressing mic,/forcing vocals?

C.

I sing off axis to the mic to help with sibilance and plosives and I vary distance to the mic to control harshness to some degree. The rest I do with EQ.
THANX 4 THE FEEDBACK! YES I DO THAT AS WELL...I THINK A BETTER MIC WOULD ALSO HELP OUT ALOT.

LOL OLD HABIT! I use an ASTON ORIGIN CONDENSER MIC. TO START OFF I RUN MY VOCALS THRU A HARWARE COMPRESSOR ( ATTACK 0.5ms, RELEASE ABOUT 25-30ms, AND I MAKE SURE TO COMPRESS 2DB -3DB). THE HARDWARE COMPRESSOR HELPS ME GET DECENT LEVELED SIGNAL AND IN MY OPINION, A THICKER VOCAL. THE REST I USE MY DAW ( STOCK PLUGINS). I USE E.Q TO SUBTRACT UNWANTED FREQUENCIES, DEESER, ANOTHER COMPRESSOR, E.Q TO ADD BRIGHTNESS AND REVERB...AS WELL MIGHT USE A VOCAL DOUBLER PLUGIN AND THE VASTAUS- WAVEGROVE PLUGIN FOR HARSHNESS ( A FREE ALTERNATE FOR SOOTHE). KEEP IN MIND I TRY TO BE VERY CONSERVATIVE WITH PRESETS. HOWEVER, THERES TIMES I JUST CANT GET RID OF THAT HARSHNESS...I WAS THINKING A BETTER MIC MIGHT HELP.

YES, USUALLY MY VOCALS. IM NOT A PRO BUT IM FAMILIAR WITH THE BASICS. ITS BEEN A GREAT LEARNING EXPERIENCE...IM HOOKED! BEEN MIXING FOR ABOUT 3 YEARS ON AND OFF.

I highly recommend that you turn off the caps lock. It makes it really hard to read your comme

I highly recommend that you turn off the caps lock. It makes it really hard to read your comme
I highly recommend that you turn off the caps
I highly recommend that you turn off the caps lock. It makes it really hard to read your comments.
YOU MAKE NO SENSE! CAPS OR NO CAPS IS STILL THE SAME LETTERS...?
lock. It makes it really hard to read your comments.

No - just one of the internet etiquette things based on facts - if you type in capitals, it reads like you are angry, - which we can live with, but it is also really hard to read. I think your question was one we really got - so people jumped in, but sometimes capitals mean some topics don't even get a reply. It just annoys people - and if you really want replies, then why not type in a way that's easy to read. I speed read, and caps cuts th speed down to about half. It really is hard to read - and then how would you shout if you then needed too?

I understand what you are saying and excuse me if it sounds arrogant but i just don't see the logic in it or how someone might interpret that as being angry when im being respectful. Furthermore, i don't see how someone might have a hard time reading this unless your illiterate or have some type of disability. Obviously me and you are corresponding. Right? NO ISSUE HERE. I just never heard of such a thing. Now, if this was some type of writing assignment for school or something more professional i would definitely not get a passing grade but since ITS NOT! Regardless, thank you for your feedback. I think its just not that serious. Promise you i will look into it on why people might take ALL CAPS in different way. Maybe im just not aware. May you continue enjoying the rest of your day. Thank u.

No - just one of the internet etiquette things based on facts - if you type in capitals, it reads like you are angry, - which we can live with, but it is also really hard to read. I think your question was one we really got - so people jumped in, but sometimes capitals mean some topics don't even get a reply. It just annoys people - and if you really want replies, then why not type in a way that's easy to read. I speed read, and caps cuts th speed down to about half. It really is hard to read - and then how would you shout if you then needed too?
I read ur comment again and i do apologize for sounding a bit defensive. I just never of this and i honestly think its not a big deal but i will type in regular caps from now on. Thanx 4 the heads up!

Is it your vocals or everyone you record? Does the same vocalist sound different when recorded somewhere else, or is it actually the performance you are trying to “fix?”
For the most part i noticed its just my vocals. I realize i heavy sibilance? Im trying to learn for ways to deal with them. I met other rappers with heavy sibilance but their production is top notch and thats not an option for me at the moment. As well a different mic can help as well.

As John says, start at the source:

Room: Have you moved and tried a different position?
Mic: What are you using? Have you tried another mic?
Compressor: Are you compressing on the way in, possibly affecting the freqency response that way?
Singer's Technique: Breathing/addressing mic,/forcing vocals?

C.
For the most part its just
I highly recommend that you turn off the caps lock. It makes it really hard to read your comments.
I apologize for sounding getting defensive. I will type in regular caps from now on. Thank you.

Back