Any Producer you Want?

Gidge said:
Help me out here...give me an example of a Bryan Adams song and a Shania Twain song that sound like DefLeppard....

I am without doubt the biggest Mutt lange Fan in the world. I know pretty much every song he has done, like the back of my hand.... "Honey Im home" , by Shania, and "All I want is you", By Bryan Adams, are very Def Leppardish.... That's his sound, not Def Leppards sound....Listen to DL's first album without Mutt, they sound sort of AC/DCish....It was Mutt who made that Def Lep sound...Def Leppard Backing vocals, (all those cool layers) are for the most part totally Mutt singing.. (130 layers) and you can hear mutt singing like that, on Bryan adams "waking up the nieghbors" album, and in parts of shanias stuff... I guess naturally everything he does has a bit of the Mutt Sound in it..... Joe

Vox, I agree that Mutt leaves his signature on alot of his work...those of us who know his style and are big fans (like me) can pick up on some of this...but Ill be willing to bet that the average listener listening to Shania Twain, Def Leppard, and Bryan Adams couldnt pick this up to save their lives...

Hey Gidge,
You are probably right about that. I doubt that the average "non-musician" listener would ever pick up on any of this.
But I think Mutt probably has the most recognizable sonic signature of any working producer.
VOXVENDOR was absolutely right about the backing vox. The "Def Lep" sound was not Def Lep, it was all Mutt. If you listen to "honey I'm Home" by Shania, the backing vox are identical. Scary identical.
There are a few projects he's done that are somewhat of a departure, Bryan Adams being one, and didn't he produce a Metallica album? But even those I can still pin as being his sound. I think most "musician" listeners probably could.
I'm not personally a fan. I prefer a much more natural, realistic sound. The bands that hire him do so because they want his sonic stamp on their music.
Aaron
http://www.aaroncheney.com

i don't know...mutt definitely has a "sonic signature", but it could definitely be argued the jeff lynne's sound is at least as "identifiable...i've heard some stuff the mutt's done that really didn't "sound" like mutt...but pretty much everyhing that jeff lynne touches has his "imprint" all over it....
andy

Even Britney Spears New Hit Single "The Last to know"... was produced by mutt and written by Shania, Mutt, and Bryan Adams Guitar Player, Keith______ (Can't recall last name right now, too early....) Im not a Britney Spears fan at all, but I tell you, for a ballad, this song is awesome, and does include that those Def leppard Backing vocals, and mutt even gets a little solo singing part, near the end... imagine that!!,,,, Britney Spears, Sounding like Def Leppard.... What a perfect world!!!!.... His latest hit, was That "Corrs" song... Leave me breathless..... I mean this man just doesn't quit pumping out the hits!

Joe

I have no problems with most pop-songs, but that "Leave Me Breathless" song is very annoying.

i hope somebody mentions ted templeton, al cooper, eddie kramer, donald fagan and walter becker, etc.

these guys are like the big guys of the whole industry.

if i could pick one it would be eddie kramer, the led zeppelin producer. after all the guy is like king midus. but he does it with platinum.

Producers of choice

Without a doubt... R.S. Field. NOBODY does guitar tones like 'im. Have you heard the second R.B. Morris Album or Webb Wilder's "Town & Country"? Man oh man!

well

if i were goin for more of a post grunge guitar rock thing, then definitely eric erlandson, and possibly beck.

but, right now im definitely thinking that i REALLY want POE to produce my master.

GOD OR THE DEVIL

good topic. i would have to say i would either have GOD or LUCIFUR as my producer. i think GOD makes good tracks. with the birds chirping and lighting and stuff. deep bass with the earthquakes. no one can pan a tornado like GOD. LUCIFUR would be a good choice because he was the head seraphim over the angelic choir and all that satanic music really sells. hell most artist DO work with satan.........

czar

ps awwwww forget it. you wouldnt believe me if i told ya......

id have to pick god

i dont want to go to hell like robert johnson,n'sync,and any other act that sold their soul to the wrong producer.:D

robert johnson

robert johnson was a blues guitarist that invented lead guitar (soloing and stuff). anyway the legend goes that robert would do anything to be a big time musician but couldnt play a lick so an old man told him to meet a man called scratch at an old crossroad outside kallamazoo mississippi and he would make all his dreams come true.

anyway robert met up with the scratch(satan) and for his immortal soul scratch would tune his guitar and he could play like no other bluesman could. so he made the deal.and his carreer was great being the greatest musician of his day. but he was murderd at age 34 by the jealous husband of a woman that robert was screwing. noone knows exactly where the body was buried , the man took that to his grave.(rummor has it though that the sister of the man had showed authorities where the body is recently).

N'sync is a group of queer little boys that dance and lypscnc and dont even sing on their recordings that had to sell their souls to get thier success.:confused:

And Robert Johnson only recorded 29 songs, I think 14 of them were in A tuning. A true genius who inspired me and all my favourite guitarsits. He was one of those few who changed the course of music undoubtedly.

Anyway my vote today goes to Eno and Lanois, I don't feel I have to justify that choice.

Phil spector would be my choice years ago.

robert johnson movie

check out a movie called O BROTHER WHERE ART THOU. it is out on dvd teus june 6th robert johnson is a principal charictar in it and it really deserved the best movie oscar but was only nominated for best musical and comedy screenplay but won those catagories. it also won the comedy golden globe. i would recomend it to all my friends that dig music.

Krystof01 said:

Anyway my vote today goes to Eno and Lanois, I don't feel I have to justify that choice.

Lanois Is from my City, (Hamilton, Ontario. Canada) and Started a studio here called "Grant avenue Studio".... it was way popular in the 1980's, U2 stayed there for the whole summer in 83 and wrote the Unforgetable fire. Eno has done much work there, same with Bob dylan.... I've heard much of Lanois work..... He is an amazing producer and has a great ear, but Alot of people don't agree with his engineering... Listen to "Pride, in the name of love".... that song sounds aweful..almost like am radio... Although I think Eno was newer in the field and may have had his hands on that song... im not sure.... they are both legends for sure...... just a different sound.

Joe

Back