Any Iron Cobra users?

BentRabbit

I'm thinking of switching from my DW5000 double pedal to an Iron Cobra....

I see the various cam choices and have read the Tama propaganda regarding both, but am curious as to what actual users think.

Power Glide or Rolling Glide... Any real world comments about either, or anyone who has compared them?

Also curious on how long this thread stays semi-serious before one of you ne'er-do-wells turns it into a topic about sexual lubricants or sumpin... :p

I've been using the Tama Power Glide for years and really like the feel of it. For me it's smooth and reliable. I have been thinking about the King Cobra for some time now, but the price tag is holding me back right now.

IC powerglide.

I think you could get used to just about anything, and DW makes fine hardware.

That said, I like the IC beaters a lot.

Rolling Glide here. A couple years now, I think.
It's my first double pedal so I got nothin to compare to but I like the ease and quickness and, like Creepy said, the beaters themselves.

Haven't done much adjustments mainly cuz I don't know what I'm doin. :)
I just set em up and played.

I find it pretty awkward to play a kit with a single pedal now. :drunk:

HA! Here is a tread in this forum that my NOT being a drummer is actually an advantage.

When we loaded up for the Rock-n-Roll summer camp sessions we did, we had our choice of 4 kick pedals to bring. Can't recall what the others were, but they were ALL very good pedals. We ended up bringing two, and one was an Iron Cobra- criteria were durability, low incidental noise. At all the camps, both the staff and the campers showed a heavy preference for the Iron Cobra, to the point that we never used the other pedal. So, basically, everyone else here is giving the opinion of one person- themselves. Nothing wrong with that, but I have the benefit of reporting the preference of about 20 people.

I use both and prefer the IC PowerGlide.

On my kit at my house, I use the IC PowerGlide. On the kit at my rehearsal space, a DW 5000.

I have used an IC for almost 12 years. They are highly configurable. I prefer the heavier weight of the pedal board and spring action compared to the DW 5000. I torque the springs on both pedals as tight as I can and the Iron Cobra just feels better and faster.

Just watch out for the beater rebound hitting on the top of your foot near your ankle. Playing barefoot on occasion or with flipflops, it can cause some pain!

If you can, try both pedals. To each his own.

HA! Here is a tread in this forum that my NOT being a drummer is actually an advantage.

When we loaded up for the Rock-n-Roll summer camp sessions we did, we had our choice of 4 kick pedals to bring. Can't recall what the others were, but they were ALL very good pedals. We ended up bringing two, and one was an Iron Cobra- criteria were durability, low incidental noise. At all the camps, both the staff and the campers showed a heavy preference for the Iron Cobra, to the point that we never used the other pedal. So, basically, everyone else here is giving the opinion of one person- themselves. Nothing wrong with that, but I have the benefit of reporting the preference of about 20 people.

:laughings: :laughings: :laughings: :laughings: :laughings: :laughings:

I have used a chain drive Iron Cobra for about 8 or 9 years now and I like it very much. My other favorites are two older Gretsch "Floating Action" pedals that I've owned since the 1960's (I've customized them with bearings and parts from an Iron Cobra).
The IC gives me a smooth action and just enough resistance against my foot that I like. The Axis pedal is definitely a lot smoother and easier, but I can't feel the pedal on the return. I feel that way about the DW pedals also. The Tama pedal gives me what I want.

I use an Iron Cobra.

I don't know whether it's a power glide or rolling glide, which shouldn't be surprising because I.... I.... because I can't play drums.

I also can't tell you whether it's better or worse than other pedals. I just got it because everyone here said it was cool - a full six months or so before I even had a kick drum (I used it to hit a 2x4 with a piezo glued into it before I got the drum). Why am I even in this forum?

I’m not sure which Iron Cobra I have as I bought it used and I believe it was made prior to the offset cam stuff.

But IMO it's awesome!!!!!!!!! :D

I haven't found any other pedal that can do doubles as easily!

I use an Iron Cobra.

I don't know whether it's a power glide or rolling glide, which shouldn't be surprising because I.... I.... because I can't play drums.

I also can't tell you whether it's better or worse than other pedals. I just got it because everyone here said it was cool - a full six months or so before I even had a kick drum (I used it to hit a 2x4 with a piezo glued into it before I got the drum). Why am I even in this forum?

Right forum. Wrong thread.

Ask "Mac" Rebennack, Jr. about that sort of thing...

Back