Another Tascam 688 thread: dead channels

moogmymellotron

hi guys, many of you probably read my other threads about my tascam 688, the one that suffers from an odd speed flux.

well today i acquired another unit for 30 bux! i was pretty excited about it. (this machine doesnt suffer from any speed flux...atleast from what i can tell thus far) i replaced the belt. cleaned up the roller. took it apart completely replaced a few small leaking caps. demagged the heads. in the end two issues were found.

one being...

trks 7 - 8 will not record. As, input signal travels INTO the machine, the OL light peaks when gain is maxed and i could hear the audio really distorted and rather faint in my headphones. the tracks do erase. I restored the factory scenes to perhaps correct a routing issue. tracks are not muted.

second issue being...

the return to zero function does not work. all the other buttons on the transport work fine.

i noticed several leaking capacitors in the mixer section of the recorder ( i think this might be contributing to the silent tracks?) and one leaky cap in the recorder section (RTZ?)

beyond this the recorder seems to be working okay. my first unit is feeling better w every passing day and every new cap. hopefully itll have a friend to play w soon.

any thoughts, help? thanks again

Back