Always wanted to make recording like I heard on CD, now..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Then how does this last one sound? Through headphones I think there is great separation. Unfortunately it is thin sounding or sterile sounding. It could be booming on your end, but I hope not. I want smooth. Miro, had real great smooth, thickness in his solo's.

Where does that lost thickness go?

It is super crisp, I have to say.

Here is another 20 seconds of a earlier project. It is so hard to share because this isn't how I sound. Each instrument is separated well, but its... You might be able to hear my limitations and describe them better.

Usually I record flat. I use microphone placement to EQ more than say a 31 band dbx. I use the 31 band to hi and low shelf ( 50 low cut 10k hi for guitar as example), perhaps a notch. No mountain ranges though.

View attachment 86038

I listened, and while this may not be how you sound, this is how you sound recorded. Only thought I had was you are right, the highs needed to be brought down. Depending on how that changes the mix.

You might be confusing your sound verses your mixing. EQ some of the high out at the upper end probably above 7K, just start rolling off. Then see if it isn't getting better. I could hear a very bright mix.

Sounds like you have crappy preamps. You can use a tape simulator plug-in, but those tracks better be squeaky clean, or you will have noise issues. Also, if you are over compressing, you can kiss your dynamics good-bye. I've found the key with DAW recording is get the mix as close as you can to done, with NO effects. When you start to add them, go from the top down. Master, then Busses, then tracks. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fhur9KMGvxM

The Best

I am the best live musician I ever heard and play the best equipment.

If true then why are you even worrying about all of this. You should be recording in top notch studios with the best engineers and producers. In my 30+ years of doing this I have found that anyone who says they are "the best" is usually far from it.

If true then why are you even worrying about all of this. You should be recording in top notch studios with the best engineers and producers. In my 30+ years of doing this I have found that anyone who says they are "the best" is usually far from it.

I am certainly no worse than the best . When the money runs out so does the opportunity.

No, I won't put on a freak show, or run around like a kid. Playing music, yes I am that good. If you can play well, it does not mean you know how to record sound professionally.

Last edited:
Sounds like you have crappy preamps. . https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fhur9KMGvxM

Yes, I think that is the Line 6 toneport, that is making it sound like that. Something is wrong with the 2x2 gateways. Either it cannot reproduce sounds the same, or its incorrect. If that is the laptop, the 2x2, the driver, the ASIO, I do not know.

Yes, it is bad sounding in the DAW . It was the best I could do with those products.

If I record a short bit to the 1/4 reel, out to the monitors, the sound is superb.

Should I use only the VST and midi stuff with the DAW and keep the 2x2 for a midi trigger?

If I keep everything digital or modeled, and run the vocals into the Fantom X, I can record some nice vocals in the mix. Then I am not using any of my rack stuff, a booth, or even the microphone type is barely important. It kinda sucks, because I have the rack gear and expect it to perform in the DAW.

I will be getting a better interface for next time. Please, if you like a brand let me know what is good.

Last edited:
Dood... Your arrogance is killing your perception of what it takes to get good recordings. You may have great tone, or think you do-but that is not all it takes to get your personal tone recorded. Stop blaming the equipment as the end all, and start listening to advice. Your great tone is not coming across in your recordings. Lets try to find out why.

Trust me, it is either your tone sucks, or you are just not approaching it correctly. If your tone is actually that good, then it may be your room and micing technique that is not working.

I call BS on your statement that recording to 1/4" tape is 'superb'. That is either complete BS or you have a bad interface, connection, or setup issue. It just doesn't make sense.

Your right, calling it suberb is an overstatement. It sounds better. My clips are really thin. If I turn down the treble in the DAW , there is nothing good left .

Because of the difference from 2x2 to Fantom X , I think there is a driver issue .

To master playing popular music might be an achievement, but its not arrogant to claim.

Do you ever have timing inconsistencies from one listening to the next?

I swear , it is so minute. That is not latency as I know it.

Don't start with that crap. Greg, if you got something to say..

I am also looking at ways of capturing the room noise, my previous sea shell joke pages back.. Well , I found a website with an article on microphone loading and room hiss. Through the desk and reel there is a different load on the microphone, does the 2x2 emulate this resistance?

link to article
http://www.audioimprov.com/AudioImprov/Mics/Entries/2014/2/10_EQ_Pt.4_-_Noise.html

Last edited:
I did not mean that your playing is not good. I only meant that your getting over the fact that you have good tone and playing ability, does not equate to getting good tone recorded.

It takes time and effort man. From your recordings, I can only assume that something is lacking in the chain. It is usually easy if you have good tone and a decent mic.

I would start to experiment with the many ways that you can record the same instrument and get a totally different vibe with each recording.
This will help you in the future "choosing the right set up and type of microphone plus placement" when you want to lay down a track and you have a perceived sound in your head.

I tried to stay out of this because I still feel like a Newbie in this place. I don't want to be negative, but I can't help saying that I think someone is delusional.

You're nowhere near as good at anything as you think you are. In fact, I think you suck, pretty badly at that. I wouldn't say anything, because it's ok to suck, but your arrogance and false sense of superiority leads me to believe that nobody has ever really told you the truth.

Personally, I think this guy is just trolling for the sake of getting a rise out of people. Nobody can be this delusional and bad at the same time. Stop blaming the equipment, swallow your pride and start LEARNING, because you're so far away from being as good as you think you are, that it's not even funny.

I call troll. Either way, you suck. Sorry, but someone had to say it.

I tried to stay out of this because I still feel like a Newbie in this place. I don't want to be negative, but I can't help saying that I think someone is delusional.

You're nowhere near as good at anything as you think you are. In fact, I think you suck, pretty badly at that. I wouldn't say anything, because it's ok to suck, but your arrogance and false sense of superiority leads me to believe that nobody has ever really told you the truth.

Personally, I think this guy is just trolling for the sake of getting a rise out of people. Nobody can be this delusional and bad at the same time. Stop blaming the equipment, swallow your pride and start LEARNING, because you're so far away from being as good as you think you are, that it's not even funny.

I call troll. Either way, you suck. Sorry, but someone had to say it.

Lol. Bladow.

That is this guy's schtick. It's always the same shit. He always looks for a way to blame digital in general, DAWs, or other equipment for his suck.

I would start to experiment with the many ways that you can record the same instrument and get a totally different vibe with each recording.
This will help you in the future "choosing the right set up and type of microphone plus placement" when you want to lay down a track and you have a perceived sound in your head.

Am going to have to go with MoreSound on this one. :p

What question? Post 52 was a suggestion. I have been looking into your responses and giving appropriate feedback.

Is there a reason you are not answering my question? That is a pretty closed book response. It tells me you don't know, or you don't want to share. That's fine, but why are you in my thread then, makes no sense.

I almost deleted my post from before, because I started regretting it. But the more this guy posts, the better I feel about what I said, because it's becoming more and more true right before my eyes.

By my calculations, we're at about 83.7% troll and rising quickly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back