Always wanted to make recording like I heard on CD, now..

Status
Not open for further replies.
I call BS on your statement that recording to 1/4" tape is 'superb'. That is either complete BS or you have a bad interface, connection, or setup issue. It just doesn't make sense.

As a total tapehead....I can agree with Jimmy that the tape ain't going to put in THAT much "magic" that you couldn't get when using a digital interface, nor will even the most basic interface crap out your recordings as much as you seem to thknk it will.
Something would have to be completely broken with the interface, or you're just using it in some very poor way, so that it's mangling the audio.

If you sound and play THAT great, as you say...do everything the same as you do when going to tape, then just substitute the deck for the interface and at most, adjust your levels accordingly.
The tape is going to roll off some of your high-end....the interface will not, that's about the most obvious difference. After that, there are subtleties that will differ between tape and digital, but not how you seem to be thinking or experiencing.

Looking for weird little solutions off the beaten path...is not going to be the solution.
Great tone and great playing should be relatively easy to capture.

Miroslav , has a video or 2 that show some skill and bring atmosphere.

It's done with a longer Plate reverb setting from a digital rack box, and a digital delay stomp box...plus adding in the room ambience from backing tracks which were played back live through my studio monitors while I recorded the amp live with a mic....so there's the "atmosphere".

What question? Post 52 was a suggestion. I have been looking into your responses and giving appropriate feedback.

Is there a reason you are not answering my question? That is a pretty closed book response. It tells me you don't know, or you don't want to share. That's fine, but why are you in my thread then, makes no sense.

Your post #57, where you asked a completely unrelated question before relating to the questions and advice that was already given.

No, I know nothing and do not care to share anything with you anymore. Good luck man. :)

Your post #57, where you asked a completely unrelated question before relating to the questions and advice that was already given.

No, I know nothing and do not care to share anything with you anymore. Good luck man. :)

Asking questions is what a forum is all about. I don't think its fair to limit the amount of information one seeks in his own thread.

Some people take microphone load seriously. I think there is a driver problem. If I disable the line 6 ASIO and use the NVidia wave synth GS sound card it sounds much better. I have no multi track recording or VST ability. If I want to record wav live , its one button.

You gotta be kidding. You guys are messed.

I think you missed Jimmy's point. Yes, forums are for asking questions. But you're talking past people from what I can see. People are answering questions, but you seem to ignore that and just keep asking more, un-related, questions, or you just advance another theory of yours while disregarding what anyone has said to you.

I'm joking around with the "troll percentage" that I posted, just to keep it light. But I honestly don't think you mean to be trolling. But you seem to have a short attention span, or maybe we have a slight language barrier. Either way, I would suggest just slowing down and reading through the thread again before asking anything else or throwing out another theory.

Just sayin.

In short response...

Your post "Is there a reason you are not answering my question? That is a pretty closed book response. It tells me you don't know, or you don't want to share. That's fine, but why are you in my thread then, makes no sense".

Attitude, arrogance and disrespect for members trying to help you, throws a red flag to me. I sent you rep with a hand given to help you personally via PM. You ignored me.

Go be you Mr. Good at everything but listening. Best to you and your recordings. :)

Some people take microphone load seriously. I think there is a driver problem. If I disable the line 6 ASIO and use the NVidia wave synth GS sound card it sounds much better. I have no multi track recording or VST ability. If I want to record wav live , its one button.

Man....you're out in left field now....into the stands.

The driver is not going to affect audio recording quality....and if you think the NVidia sounds better, something is wrong somewhere.
You're like one second talking mic impeadance....then you're off looking at the sound card drivers.
You need to step back and just focus on basics, not all this minutia, as the source of whatever problems you perceive.

Man....you're out in left field now....into the stands.

The driver is not going to affect audio recording quality....and if you think the NVidia sounds better, something is wrong somewhere.
You're like one second talking mic impeadance....then you're off looking at the sound card drivers.
You need to step back and just focus on basics, not all this minutia, as the source of whatever problems you perceive.

Yep^^^

If true then why are you even worrying about all of this. You should be recording in top notch studios with the best engineers and producers. In my 30+ years of doing this I have found that anyone who says they are "the best" is usually far from it.

Hahaha!

Reminds me of the guy on the Cakewalk Sonar forums a few months ago.
He kept mentioning that he was a 'Grammy winner' for simply playing a bass line on a song, [which means next to nothing], as does winning a Grammy also basically means virtually nothing these days - all things being equal.

But backed by this self-delusional false sense of worth, he kept on calling people on the forums 'losers', if they either didn't help him directly, or criticized anything he posted.
Needless to say he disappeared just as fast as he showed up there, thank God.

Anytime I see something like, "I'm the best I've ever heard (or seen)", it also reminds me of all the Karaoke singers - of which each & every one thinks they're 'the greatest singer of all time' to ever 'grace us' with their presence.

But to type, "I'm the best at guitar, keys, bass, drums, and voice", is not only laughable, but highly delusional, and one that some would even suggest being in desperate need of counseling of some type - perhaps 'ridiculous narcissism' gone mental.

[I'm also guessing that he has no TV or radio then.] :p

"...For anything else gimme 2 weeks..."

Really?

So let's see...guitar, keys, bass, drums and voice = 5.

That's 5 x 2 weeks each instrument is it?

So 10 weeks altogether? :guitar:

Gee, such incredibly fast learning and skilled musical mastery, and yet you only have time to record only twice a year?

???

And all the ten's of thousands of other musicians out there that spend a life time honing their craft, such as violin or cello players for instance.

Anything after 3-4 weeks of learning & practice, they're just wasting their time - are they?

"...30-40 years experience playing out..."

You'd think that this would promote humility over time, as it usually does in the rest of us 'no-talents' instead of such staunch, blatant arrogance.

Whatever...

As they say, "Pride goeth before a fall". :eatpopcorn:

CAM00586.jpgRight.

If I use the presets and stay in the DAW I can play then edit with the blocks and make nice stuff. At some point , like when your re-recording your favorite pop song, you will need an analog input for vocals. I don't like the bus strength or signal coming from anything I bought so far. When I pull out the B rack and fire up the 8 track , and there is stepping all over in the waveform when O scoped on comparison. you know something isn't right. You have to reassess the situation.

It is the ASio system, ASio4all is the one that is common between the brands and is recommended by Reaper. It tries to emulate a sound card, but I think the sound card sounds better.

My friend has a MacBook with ProTools and a nice interface . I will try a different computer and see if that helps. I'm tired of buying shit with no results.

I can output the EZ drummer and Fantom X to the Fostex A8 just fine. It works as advertised. Thick as a brick monaural, yum.

Dramatic pic of the B rack.

What do you do with the tape then to master back to mp3 on the computers? Go into the microphone in and use media player and wavesyth GS drivers to record a wav?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back