Always wanted to make recording like I heard on CD, now..

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think something wrong.

Everybody with so called credibility , only know insults . I insulted people back in one thread and you destroyed the login of mine. I don't see anything happening to your green bar.

If a moderator could come in please and fix the situation, that would be nice. Because if you continue insults and dodging questions from fellow entusiasts not here to causing problems, you will get back. Don't be adding red bars , when its your own member causing the disturbance.

Is this a place to share information or you want to start mutherfuckin?

Some of you mention you recognize me from posts. I still have the same problem with recording to my computer.

What questions do you think I need to ask? Because I don't know how else to describe it than I have in the past. I put up 30 second clips , but because you cannot hear the room live. You cannot compare.

View attachment 86030

This sounds bad, but what can you compare it to? The only way to get it into the DAW is through the interface and that's my problem. You can hear me plaing the instruments in time, sure. 30 seconds of JBG.

How are you recording the guitar? Amp and Mic? Amp sim in DAW?

Can you post the same guitar without the backing? Just guitar. No fx processing, compression, etc.

I have very few free moments. Only can record a few times a year.

It seems to me like all you've done is take small stabs at a few approaches....and now you're frustrated.

I just saw this thread, and honestly....your posts are almost cryptic, and sound like those of someone who's primary language isn't English....????

Try asking ONE clear question at a time.....without all the other rambling. Be specific and maybe you might get an answer.
Saying something like "I've tried this, it doesn't work, what will work?" isn't much of a question.

Also...stop whining about your frutrations. Just get to the heart of the matter, and people will maybe give you more serious and detailed responses. Instead of you immediately wanting to start arguing because you are frustrated with your own recording problems.

You mentioned that we can't hear your room and we can't hear your interface, so immediately you're pointing to a monitoring issue rather than a tracking issue.

If you share a file with us we can hear the impact of your playing, instrument choice, positioning, microphones, preamps and input converters.
We cannot hear the impact of reproduction equipment/factors such as your room, output converters and speakers.

Room falls into both categories because it has an audible effect on your recording, AND how you perceive the reproduction.

You mentioned that we can't hear your room and we can't hear your interface, so immediately you're pointing to a monitoring issue rather than a tracking issue.

If you share a file with us we can hear the impact of your playing, instrument choice, positioning, microphones, preamps and input converters.
We cannot hear the impact of reproduction equipment/factors such as your room, output converters and speakers.

Room falls into both categories because it has an audible effect on your recording, AND how you perceive the reproduction.

^^THIS^^

Which is why I asked this.

How are you recording the guitar? Amp and Mic? Amp sim in DAW?

Can you post the same guitar without the backing? Just guitar. No fx processing, compression, etc.

Mr clean,

I went live, Stratocaster to Bi Comp , to fender DRRI. Mic's with the km 84 or sm58 blend. I like blending the 2 sources off the 2x2. No closer than a foot away pointed at edge of cone for mono. I do a lot of stereo AB XY, I like the 2x2 for that reason. Level goals were 0 RMS. I recently was told to use -18db peak. Next time will try that.

A L6 tubernator vst heavy guitar , in through the Line 6 , and had to chose the different asio , and in the DAW it was awesome. Very clear and what I expected.

For comparison there is a layered Stratocaster strumming Line in direct, compensated .

Is there a effect for dobly dbx or type C?
I was told that firewire is for speed and not dynamic. This could be wrong , look at cable line levels, all kinds of differences.
Can one project work with different asios? Cause I flip between 3. Possibly once switched, it no longer processes the midi correctly or something.

The second I arm the microphones, the kids and house go crazy. Its like they know the moment I hit record. So I only have so often to record.

Last edited:
I was told that firewire is for speed and not dynamic.

Firewire/usb/pci etc is irrelevant in terms of audio quality. These are methods of transferring data.
What goes in comes out....literally.

There are, or can be, differences in terms of latency, speed, reliability etc but not audio quality.

Steen it could be a monitor issue at the root. That will cause a bad mix from audio device to device. Although a different analog recorded mix sounds good on tape through the same monitors.

The dbx on tape gave a great noise floor, a real sense of distance. What can you do digitally to recreate a vintage noise floor. My DAW is so quiet there is no floor. Its tight as hell.

Place a microphone to a sea shell? its a joke..

You've got some good gear. (I read your 'other' thread)

If you're happy with the sound coming from your amp when you're playing then I would look at your mic positioning and gain staging. I'm no expect at all but that's where I would start. Try close mic'ing your amp. Get the mic up to the grill. Get some volume going and the speaker moving.

To be perfectly honest, I've recorded electric guitar through an amp less times than I can count on one hand, but I was doing just that today. With my cheap £79 Chinese Telecaster copy, I literally stuck my only, cheap, dynamic mic (AKG D680S) in front of a cheap Fender Champion 30. Got a good tone and hit record. What went in, came out.

The mic was going through a Studio Projects VTB1 >>> M-Audio 2496 PCI Card >>> Reaper. Here's a short View attachment Clip.mp3 of that quick, simple set up. 3 guitar tracks, bass , drums.

If I can get a sound like that, anyone can!

As above, regardless of what you use, USB, Firewire, PCI. It's all the same. Data going in and out. You get out what you put in.

Start at the beginning and work from there. Record some clips of just the guitar/amp mic'd up and post them up.

Steen it could be a monitor issue at the root. That will cause a bad mix from audio device to device. Although a different analog recorded mix sounds good on tape through the same monitors.

The dbx on tape gave a great noise floor, a real sense of distance. What can you do digitally to recreate a vintage noise floor. My DAW is so quiet there is no floor. Its tight as hell.

Place a microphone to a sea shell? its a joke..

I don't get this. On tape noise floor = hiss unless there's some louder source noise in the room. (eg. fan)
Noise reduction gear either reduces it via destructive methods, or compresses - goes to tape- expands - goes to daw/another medium to reduce noise floor.
As far as I know noise floor is either audible or it's not.
I'm not sure that it has anything to do with depth or distance.

No doubt someone will point out if I'm wrong. :)

Mr clean, That sound is nice and balanced.

Now when you use midi keys, does the Asio defeat the M audio card?

I realize that my drum fx group is latched to rhythm groups compression. So it gets a little brick wall like, and the cymbals start sounding brushed. On my next attempt I will fix these things, and use some of your ideas.

Thanks for the compliments, but you don't need to spend a bunch on gear. The stuff I have is way outdated. For instance, I got a new GK bass head, and they changed cord styles, I cant even plug into my old GK cabinet. Try making the jump from dx-7 to fantom x , its a brave new world for me.

"I have very few free moments. Only can record a few times a year. "

Then you will be crap at it.

Dave.

Dave, I listened to a few of your selections . I like track 3. They all had a pretty good mix , definitely more the dynamic I am looking for.

Miroslav , has a video or 2 that show some skill and bring atmosphere.

That Gardiner guy has some fluffy acoustic strummers .

I will be looking at some of your past comments closely.

You guys give me a lot of hope. I know the DAW can sound good. Right now I hear what I m making and you lose momentum fast when it is disappointing.

The Jongleurs Absence song 3, we are not the same. It stuck out as a solid effort. I quoted the wrong person. You know who I mean.

Jimmy, the song of yours, shout it loud was nice. Good job. It can be hard to recreate that energy.

It is only fair to give your examples a listen.

Last edited:
The Jongleurs Absence song 3, we are not the same. It stuck out as a solid effort. I quoted the wrong person. You know who I mean.

Jimmy, the song of yours, shout it loud was nice. Good job. It can be hard to recreate that energy.

It is only fair to give your examples a listen.

Ah, the other Dave. :)

Here is another 20 seconds of a earlier project. It is so hard to share because this isn't how I sound. Each instrument is separated well, but its... You might be able to hear my limitations and describe them better.

Usually I record flat. I use microphone placement to EQ more than say a 31 band dbx. I use the 31 band to hi and low shelf ( 50 low cut 10k hi for guitar as example), perhaps a notch. No mountain ranges though.

View attachment absencemcjc.mp3

Last edited:
Steen it could be a monitor issue at the root. That will cause a bad mix from audio device to device.

That depends.
If your monitoring setup is out of kilter, a good mix will suck in your room.
If your mixes don't sound good, we won't necessarily hear that.

For example, if your room is really really boomy and you're struggling to tame that, we'll probably hear that mix as being on the thin side because you'll have over compensated.

Although if your tape gear sounds good through the same monitoring setup, I'm probably barking up the wrong tree.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back