AKG D120E vs. Beyer M400

hairylarry

Hi,

I recently purchased an inexpensive AKG D120E microphone. Although this is a vintage mic from an excellent company I don't think it was an expensive mic even when it was new. When I got the mic I noticed that it was very light. The grill is metal but the shaft is a silvered plastic. It is also small for a ball type dynamic. It does have an XLR connector but it felt a little bit like a tape recorder microphone.

Although the mic is built light and feels nothing like the made of metal D310 and D320 series mics it is, in fact, pretty sturdy. I started by comparing it to a PA mic, the EV 664 that I had set up for voice over work. I decided that the AKG was enough better than the EV that I would really put it to the test.

The Beyer M400 Mark II is an excellent European microphone with a very solid midrange and good high end detail. I felt that the AKG D120E was the same type of mic as the Beyer and the Beyer was the best mic in my collection to compare it to. So I set up a couple of a/b tests, one with acoustic guitar and vocals and one doing voice over radio announcing.

I was very pleased with the sound of the AKG mic on these tests and although I do hear some differences between it and the Beyer I think the most remarkable thing is how similar the mics sound. Because of this after I did a couple of a/b tests with both mics pointing straight at me I set up another test with the mics in a stereo x/y configuration just to see how well the AKG would work with the Beyer. Again I was pleased.

I will discuss what my ears hear on my speakers later but for now I do not want to prejudice the discussion. I know what I think. I want to know what you think.

"Ride Me To Heaven" is the song on the a/b test. The voice over test is my standard opening for my radio show, Something Blue. "Hard Times" is the song on the stereo x/y test. The AKG is on the left. The Beyer on the right.

No eq was added to the samples. I tried to equalize the volume and then I did a very slight compression and normalization.

Here's a link to the sound files.

http://www.archive.org/details/akg_d120e_vs_beyer_m400

For critical listening download the .flac files. flac is a lossless compression unlike mp3s which are a lossy compression. The mp3 files will not sound as good as the production .wav files. The .flac files will sound identical to the .wav files they were generated from.

Please let me know your opinion of the AKG D120E. How well do you think it stands up to the Beyer microphone?

I will weigh in with my opinions later.

Thanks,

Hairy Larry

Hey HL,

Just heard your audio. Sounds like the same mic on your VO A / B tests! What are the typical prices for these two mics on the used market? You're gonna have to change your handle to Hairy "50 buck mic" Larry ;)

Hey HL,

Just heard your audio. Sounds like the same mic on your VO A / B tests! What are the typical prices for these two mics on the used market? You're gonna have to change your handle to Hairy "50 buck mic" Larry ;)

Michael,

You can buy the Beyer M400 pretty much any time for around $200. It can be had for $150 and even closer to $100 sometimes if you're willing to wait. I bought mine for $86 but this is the only time I've seen it go under $100 and it's on my watch list on ebay. So I would say a typical used price on the Beyer M400 is $150 to $200.

This is a very well thought of mic. Some consider it an alternative to an SM7. Some prefer it to an SM7. I bought it based on Harvey Gerst's recommendation and have not been unhappy with it at all. For a dynamic it has excellent high end detail but it's forte is strong mids. I mean solid.

When T-Bone Walker was asked in his TapeOp interview which mics he liked he said Beyer was the best bang for the buck.

Now the AKG D120E is a more difficult mic to price. I bought mine for $30.70 which is why it made it into the fifty dollar mic thread. They are not common. You don't see them on ebay every day. I would guess the price varies from $30 up to $100 but since the only transaction I'm aware of is the one I bought this is just a guess.

In my a/b tests on my speakers with my ears I thought the guitar parts sounded identical. I couldn't reliably choose which was playing. On the voiceover I preferred the AKG for my voice but the mic I have been using for my radio show is an EV 664, an inexpensive PA mic. So you might say the Beyer's extremely solid mid was unwanted for my radio voice. On the singing vocals I could hear a difference but I can't say which I preferred. All the differences were slight.

My opinion is that flying by on a fast horse the two mics sound remarkably similar. Of course I chose the Beyer M400 for the a/b test because it is the same kind of mic as the less expensive AKG D120E and because it is highly regarded and not uncommon.

I am going to hold off on distinguishing them further in the high hopes that some one else will listen and give an opinion.

I have a pair of AKG D190E mics which were the Unidynes of Europe back in the sixties and there are pictures of the Beatles singing through them, not necessarily because they were great mics, but like the Unidynes in the US they were ubiquitous in Europe. I'm thinking of subjecting them to the same treatment, maybe doing a/b/c comparisons. They are much more common than the D120E and affordable used.

If anyone else can help evaluate the AKG D120E either price wise or quality wise I would appreciate it.

I, of course, am very happy with my $30 purchase.

Thanks,

Hairy Larry

When I bought my M400, they were going for 50 to 100 (max) on ebay. That was about 3 years ago.

I guess the word has well and truly gotten out in the past couple of years.

I really like my Soundstar MkII mics (M400). Got both of them for under $70 on ebay. I think the value has gone up on them a little since, though.

To me, they sound similar to my SM7, but with a little SM58 mixed in. Useful on lots of stuff! :D

Regardless of the depth of the mic cabinet (if and when I do any studio vocals),
would absolutely take my Beyer Soundstar MKII (and EV RE15) along-for at least the scratch vocals.

Killer vocal mic IMHO...

Chris

...I have been scouting the Soundstar MKII all over the internet since reading this thread, and was almost ready to pull the trigger on one from Germany on eBay for $199 BIN, but patience proved to truly be a virtue...just scored a mint one on eBay for $55...looking forward to tracking with it!...thanks for the info about this sleeper vocal mic!...;)

Congrats kidvibes!

I'm one of "those" singers where the 'umble SM57 (or 58) sound excellent-particularly on blues based genres.

But...

this Soundstar takes a WHOLE lot less EQ to get the kind of sound I like.

Chris

Congrats kidvibes!
I'm one of "those" singers where the 'umble SM57 (or 58) sound excellent-particularly on blues based genres.
But...
this Soundstar takes a WHOLE lot less EQ to get the kind of sound I like.
Chris

Chris...I depend on my SM7 for most of my vocal tracking lately...works well on most voices...is the Soundstar really in the same class?...variation on a theme?...please advise...thanks! ;)

Beyer M400 and AKG D120E

Chris...I depend on my SM7 for most of my vocal tracking lately...works well on most voices...is the Soundstar really in the same class?...variation on a theme?...please advise...thanks! ;)

For vocal work the Beyer has a really strong midrange. More cohesive or "there" than an SM57 or SM58. I can't compare it to an SM7 since I don't have one.

I've also been using the Beyer as a room mic recording my acoustic duo. For a dynamic it does very well on acoustic guitar with great high end detail. And I tracked the John Shepherd album with the Beyer on his Pignose direct into my Zoom H4. Sounds fantastic. I'll post some clips later.

We've got to thank Harvey for the tip. I learned about the M400 from his posts. It's difficult to find the mic under $100 but I did and I guess you did too.

And as good as the Beyer is the AKG D120E compared favorably to it in my a/b tests. And I got the AKG in the low thirties. I haven't seen one since but I'd buy another. And the M400 is still on my search list too.

Thanks,

Hairy Larry

For vocal work the Beyer has a really strong midrange. More cohesive or "there" than an SM57 or SM58. I can't compare it to an SM7 since I don't have one.
Hairy Larry

...well, I can tell you that the Soundstar MKII is definately in the same ballpark as an SM7...actually a bit more detailed and not quite as full on the bottom end but close enough to be a good alternate to the SM7...very nice tone...I'm very pleased with this purchase...:D

Attachments

• Beyer Soundstar MKII.JPG
    Beyer Soundstar MKII.JPG
    11.4 KB · Views: 200
...well, I can tell you that the Soundstar MKII is definately in the same ballpark as an SM7...actually a bit more detailed and not quite as full on the bottom end but close enough to be a good alternate to the SM7...very nice tone...I'm very pleased with this purchase...:D

I'd agree with that assessment. I use mine with screamers - seems to work well in that application. Enjoy the mic.:D

Back