AKG C-525s.... Anyone know this mic and its specs ???

Mikey77

Just picked one up on eBay because I thought it might be comparable to the 535eb. It'll take a few days to get here so I thought I'd ask around.

I'm guessing it's the predecessor to the 535EB.... but it runs on AA battery as well as phantom. All I know is that it's from the late eighties.

Are there any AKG folks out there (maybe Richie Monroe) who know what these mics are like..... maybe even a spec sheet.
Can't seem to find anything on the net..... It looks typically AKG tough.

I have a 535 which I think it is a very good instrument mic on some things so I'm hoping this is as well.....
I think the 535 is an electret ( ??? ) so maybe the 525 is as well which means its output might be fading with the passing years.

Also does anyone know if these mics are similar to the instrument mics of AKG like the 451 etc. ???

Attachments

• AKG C-525.jpg
    AKG C-525.jpg
    79.4 KB · Views: 217

Excellent work.... Thanks so much.... I couldn't find anything,

They're referring to it as a budget line of mics so it may not have the class of the 535 ...but hey it's worth a try at ebay prices.

I have a 535 and a couple of the AT mics that run on battery as well so I'll so I'll leave some info when I've played around with it.

Who knows maybe there's another one out there somewhere....in an old beer hall somewhere in Siberia !

Does anybody have any other recommendations for battery powered mics..... I've checked out some of the AT mics and Rode have a couple

Last edited:
I got the mic a couple of days ago.... had to clean it up a bit and replace the foam inside the basket..... after 25 years waddya expect.

It's not a very solid mic, it doesn't weigh much either, the lower half of the basket is tough plastic and the barrel is aluminium.
.....but the basket is tough steel along the same lines as the 535.

It works on phantom and battery and it is quite compact so it's definitely good for traveling light.

It's not overly sensitive so you have to give it a bit of volume for a decent level....

I recorded voice and acoustic guitar and it was better on voice.... it's not too noisy either.

I sang in a live setting and it sounded really nice ..... less edgy than my 535 and a bit smoother and forgiving.

I put the specs etc. below.... thanks again to Arcaxis.

N.B. The info is clearer for some reason over on the other forum so here's the link:

http://www.gearslutz.com/board/so-m...5s-anyone-know-mic-its-specs.html#post9491381

Last edited:
Here's the info:

Attachments

• AKG 525 specs 1.jpg
    AKG 525 specs 1.jpg
    279.1 KB · Views: 196
  • AKG 525 specs 2.jpg
    AKG 525 specs 2.jpg
    310.2 KB · Views: 192
  • AKG 525 specs 3.jpg
    AKG 525 specs 3.jpg
    308.9 KB · Views: 195