ADAT won't rewind or FF

ZenArk911

Hello everyone. I'm new in here and this is my very first post. I sort of know how these forums work and I searched around to what I believe to be a pretty basic question, but I didn't find anything so here I am. I'm trying to bring an old, like in VERY OLD, black face ADAT back to life. I haven't used it in about 15 years. Problem: It seems to fire up okay and even play some of my old tapes, but it gets stubborn about rewinding or Fast Forwarding. It behaves differently at different times. For a while there it would not rewind unless I ran FF to a few minutes ahead and then rewound it. Now it won't go forward or backward but it still plays. I looked all over the net for a place that sells the belts but came up empty. This one has one belt on the top and another one on the bottom. I also get a code that says noFo which mean not formatted but how can that be? My tapes were recorded on this machine. I took the top and bottom plate off and cleaned the head and capstans. By the way, it only has 585 hours on it. So..........any ideas? I imagine its a simple matter of that one skinny belt that seems a little weak. I'm hoping it not anything major. Also, what is a good over the counter conditioner for the pinch wheels? Thanks in advance for your help!

Back