ADAT recording question

Warwick720

Hello!

This is my first time recording using an analog mixer and ADAT, and there are a few questions I would greatly appreciate some help with. I've only ever recorded through an interface into a DAW before, which I know is probably quite a bit more practical, but this time my band thought it would be cool to go a little more old-school and eliminate the computer from the process. Also, we'll be live-tracking all at once.

So far, I've got everything mic'd up, levels set at the preamps, preamps connected to the mixer. It seems that there would be two ways to connect the mixer to the ADAT:

1: Use the RCA stereo "Tape In" and "Tape Outs" and record onto only two channels of the ADAT.
2: Connect the output of every preamp channel to it's own channel of the ADAT. In this would I still use the tape Tape Ins to return the ADAT to the mixer? For this option I would need a LOT more new cables/RCA adaptors.

The gear I'm working with is a Mackie Micro 1202 and an Alesis lx20.

What would be the more practical approach? Would either/both actually work?

Thank you for your time and advice!
Preston

If you want everything on its own track, you don't have much of a choice. That said, I don't think that mixer actually has individual outputs...

If you want everything on its own track, you don't have much of a choice. That said, I don't think that mixer actually has individual outputs...

Right M. No direct outs.
It does have inserts on the mic channels 1 to 4. These are pretty ideal since they are Pre Fade Listen and pre EQ and unbalanced to suit the RCA ADAT inputs....BUT!

FCS make up some proper leads! TRS jack plugs with tip and ring linked and sleeve common. Do not listen to the "Half in, half out, half arsed One Click" brigade. That way madness lies....

Dave.

Oh, I hadn't thought of that! Thank you!

What do you mean by linked? Also what should I do about the other tracks? We're using seven. Hmm... Maybe live tracking everything just doesn't make a lot of sense with this setup.

Oh, I hadn't thought of that! Thank you!

What do you mean by linked? Also what should I do about the other tracks? We're using seven. Hmm... Maybe live tracking everything just doesn't make a lot of sense with this setup.

AFAICS that mixer has only 4 mic inputs and 4 inserts. I f the other 3 inputs are line level they could just feed the ADAT recorder directly or come out of Main out for two of them then (I think!) aux out for the last.

Spaghetti junction or what!? FCS THINK about a Tascam 1800!

Oh! And the insert leads. You need to link ring and tip in the stereo plug so as to preserve the thru signal in the mixer. That linked wire goes to hot in the RCA and the sleeve is common ground.
No doubt someone here, PC cuter than I can send a pikky? (actually most mixer manuals show you how, even Bellringers!)

Dave.

When Dave says "link", he means connect. As in, solder together the tip and the ring connections.

Often termed a "sniff" connection - the inset path is linked inside the jack ply so the mixer works normally - but, you are taking a feed while it's passing through which goes to the ADAT. However - don't forget the ADAT works at +4dB level, so the correct level for the mixer might give a rather low reading on the ADAT meters.

Often termed a "sniff" connection - the inset path is linked inside the jack ply so the mixer works normally - but, you are taking a feed while it's passing through which goes to the ADAT. However - don't forget the ADAT works at +4dB level, so the correct level for the mixer might give a rather low reading on the ADAT meters.

Hi Rob,
Thought that unlikely with RCA connections and the manual shows that in fact the recorder operates at -10dBV and max input is +5dBV, couple of volts RMS and a mixer insert should be able to deliver that.

Dave.

So it seems I've got some cables to make! 4x 1/4" TRS (tip and ring linked) to RCA male, correct?

Just to clarify, what would be the sonic detriment of just using the stereo mix as a whole, the Tape Ins and Outs? Sorry, I'm really new to all of this analog business. It's very exciting though! Got the ADAT tape, ready to go once all the connections are figured out.

No real detriment to a stereo mix, but you would have no way to remix it later. As long as you have an ADAT with 8 channels, you might as well keep everything on its own track so you can mix it later.

yes. You will have to have the tracks on the adat armed to get signal through them to the mixer, but they will have to be armed to get anything done anyway.

My original ADAT, ADAT XT and HD24s all were interchangeable and an insert on my desks was insufficient to get anywhere near 0dB, as mine were definitely set up for +4dB. Maybe there was a model that had phonos and domestic levels, but had jacks. I used to use the inserts for 24 track recording, with 3 ADATs, then the HD24 and each track needed normalising to mix properly. S/N was good enough that this wasn't a major problem, but my inserts were not really hot enough!

My original ADAT, ADAT XT and HD24s all were interchangeable and an insert on my desks was insufficient to get anywhere near 0dB, as mine were definitely set up for +4dB. Maybe there was a model that had phonos and domestic levels, but had jacks. I used to use the inserts for 24 track recording, with 3 ADATs, then the HD24 and each track needed normalising to mix properly. S/N was good enough that this wasn't a major problem, but my inserts were not really hot enough!

Hi Rob. The OP has this with RCAs..
https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=A...ckos.com%2Fshowthread.php%3Ft%3D95206;606;369

AFAICT!

Dave.

All right, rad. Got everything figured out! After some experimentation we found what works best for our rather crude and primitive noise-punk is to go with a super stripped-down setup using only 4 mics and live tracking the entire band. Somehow, it sounds great for what we're doing. And I can use just my best quality gear! Pres to mixer line ins, inserts to the ADAT and back. Going to get the cable supplies as soon as the stores open.

If there isn't any unexpected weirdness, should be good to go! Thanks you all very very much for your help, greatly appreciated!!

Back