Acoustic Guitar + Vocal with SM57.

CMolena

Hey guys, hope you're all doing fine.

Its been a couple of months since I havent posted or commented anything here.

I was making this video and decided to record Vocals + Guitar with just a 57. I realized that the vocals were somewhat buried as I was playing the guitar louder than I imagined it. My way out was cutting some low end and boosting 1db of some higher frequencies and compressing the mix a little bit. I also added some doubles in the vocals.

Can anyone help to judge if it sounds like crap? Also, dont mind my video editing skills, its not my field of expertise, hahaha.

Anyway its a Beck cover:

Thanks in advance.

Totally fine...but I guess get the 57 up near your mouth and away from the guitar. That way you'll get more vocal and less guitar. Get it to a place where the vocal features ahead of the guitar. I've tracked vocals and acoustic guitar with a 57 before and you can more or less just trust that the acoustic is going to be there decently enough if you favour the voice, position-wise. Nicely done...a good take...but basically you have the guitar 1st and the vocal 2nd...when you probably should shoot for the other way around. So...mic placement!

It’s pretty good! But as you said, the vocals are quieter. You think you’re able to do each take separately?
I could do it separately, yes. But I was aiming for a single mic thing. But tes...maybe I will consider doing it with two mics next time.

Totally fine...but I guess get the 57 up near your mouth and away from the guitar. That way you'll get more vocal and less guitar. Get it to a place where the vocal features ahead of the guitar. I've tracked vocals and acoustic guitar with a 57 before and you can more or less just trust that the acoustic is going to be there decently enough if you favour the voice, position-wise. Nicely done...a good take...but basically you have the guitar 1st and the vocal 2nd...when you probably should shoot for the other way around. So...mic placement!
Yep, I should have tried a little bit more, I guess. As you said, I was satisfied with the take, but its funny how recording with a single mic makes us kind of aware that we need to "mix" ourselves in the performance too.

Hey guys, hope you're all doing fine.

Its been a couple of months since I havent posted or commented anything here.

I was making this video and decided to record Vocals + Guitar with just a 57. I realized that the vocals were somewhat buried as I was playing the guitar louder than I imagined it. My way out was cutting some low end and boosting 1db of some higher frequencies and compressing the mix a little bit. I also added some doubles in the vocals.

Can anyone help to judge if it sounds like crap? Also, dont mind my video editing skills, its not my field of expertise, hahaha.

Anyway its a Beck cover:

Thanks in advance.

Put the SM57 up halfway between your voice and the guitar - or put it on your voice - then do another track of the guitar.

Back