Acoustic Bass Bronze FLATWOUNDS? Do they exist?

Gear_Junky

I've asked this on bass and acoustic guitar forums, but i figure that the recording community is likely to experiment with various strings, so...

we're talking about strings for an ABG.

thanks!

i have never seen this product.

but really, why not just use stainless? they will last hella longer, and frankly, i am not sure you will notice a difference between metals with flats on an acoustic bass. i would expect reduced volume and that thuddy sort of fundamental-rich sound inherent in flats.

a

well, in my case i probably wouldn't try them for a while because of the cost, but I also have 2 suspicions:

a) i think maybe they wouldn't have enough tension to "drive" the top to produce the maximum volume unplugged
b) i also suspect from my experience with nylon-string guitars (which is to say very short experience) that these wouldn't stay in tune as well as steel-cores

any info is greatly appreciated!

When I had an ABG, I strung it with LaBella Deep Talkin' nylon-tape wound flats. I would guess they are less expensive than Thomastik-Infelds -- the Jazz Flats I string my basses with go for $54/set currently -- and Carvin sells 'em for $19 (+shipping) for a set of four.

Back