A Violin Question,

GazEcc

mBallstát atá tiomanta
Good Morning,

Looking over the battlefield that many moons ago was my control room I was searching for a power supply for my old mac mini as the plan is now to set it up as a media center.

My Studio has been over run for over a year now with boxes and remnants of my Aunts house, but now that she's finally in the process of moving out I shall be regaining my space once more! a long hard year of mixing in a bed room has taken its toll and i'm now over excited about this glorious rise once more. But among the wreckage I came across something I'd long forgotten, A violin. Not being classically inclined I bought it years ago to save it from lying and rotting in an antique shop and dropped E100 on it. but now once again we are united, and would love to learn more about the wonderous thing.

Turns out its an english made violin,circa 100 years old, I can post pics / model if you's are interested, but alas it needs a lot of TLC, I put on some old strings I found and played a note or two after trying to piece it together, but I do have a few questions.

1. How do I set the bridge positioning?
  2. How do I stop the tuning pegs from either being too tight or slipping it seems like a balancing act?
  3. What would a good make of Strings be?
  4. How can I find a Value on it?
  5. Does the bow make a HUGE difference, or is it like different weights on a guitar plec?
  6. Can you suggest a good bow manufacturer
  7. Most important of all, How can I tell if its a good Violin?
  8. How can I tell if its 4/4 or 3/4?

Feel free to ask any questions you have about it.

I'd bring it to a professional for a complete set up and appraisal. I have heard that bows make a HUGE difference!

Yes some bows are more expensive than the instrument!

That's why when I see an old beat up fiddles at yard sale I look long and hard at the bows. Once you know what to look for in an expensive bow your quest lays ahead of you.

Yes take it to a professional.

The best way to tell it's good, is to play it! :D Post some clips.

I would like to see some pics too.

Back