A versatile bass guitar

TheLemonAid

Hello Folks, I hope you're all well.

I'm going to invest into a electric bass guitar for my humble home studio. As I work on projects which vary in genre quite a bit, I would like to buy an electric bass guitar that does relatively well on most fronts, rather than really well in one particular sort of music. I would just like something that I can plug in for rock, film music, acoustic ballads, etc.

Of course, a lot depends on the way the instrument is played and on the effects and mixing applied, but I would just like to know if there's maybe a must have for versatile basses.

My budget for the bass would be around $500, but if you have suggestions that are way over that price limit, just throw them in anyways, it's interesting.

Also, any versatile bass amps you could recommend?

Cheers,

TheLemonAid

I second Seafroggys' recommendation. With the 2 pickups, you can get different sounds. Use the front pickup and it sounds close to a P bass, use the back one and it has that midrange tone like Jaco, Jeff Berlin, etc., use both and it's the standard Jazz tone.

Bassically, Michael

Fender Jazz Bass.

I picked up a MIM used back in '08 for $350 in good condition. You may need to replace the pickups but its a very solid and versatile bass.

I have a MIM Jazz bass as well, I'm not a bass player, but it works for me.

Yep, no bass player here, but I needed one for my recordings, so got something versatile. I heard someone say you can get a jazz to sound like a precision, but can't get a precision to sound like a jazz. Don't have a lot of experience with a p-bass but I think they were on to something.

Alright, thanks for all the answers everyone!

It looks like I can't get much better than a Jazz Bass then. That's good news, I was always a fan of that bass, even though I'm not a bassist. I think I'll try to find a secondhand MIM, it should do the job just fine.

Does anyone still have any tips on the amps?

Cheers!

I am a Fender man, Precison, jazz fretless, precision fretless, however I also own a Ibanez BTB which is very good for the price, watch out as there are different versions, you want the one with the seperate string bridge and the active eq.

Alan

You can find them (Jazz Bass) in 5 string too. Its nice to have the extra low notes for versatility/flexability, Usually they're only about 100.00 more for the 5th string.

Are you looking for an amp to record with? If so, I recommend you try a DI first.

Yup, I also use a modeler bass guitar patch.

To me, bass guitar just adds the low end. If you are actually so serious about the bass line that which amp you use matters,
then your bass skills have already surpassed the "which bass should I get" question posited in this thread.

Are you looking for an amp to record with? If so, I recommend you try a DI first.

That's what I do. Also use a bass amp modeler. Some NI thingy that came with Sonar X1 Producer.

Not a bass player either. But I've always been a Gibson man, so I got me a epi T-Bird, $300 new. Love it. Next bass will be the real McCoy.

I endorse Schecter Guitars and I find their diamond series have a pretty wide variety of sounds. You should be able to find the 500 dollar limit in a 4 or 5 string.

I really like Ibanez basses as well the SR506 is what i use to practice with.

G&L are a little more money, but I love how versatile they are.

STILL if those come in too high in price for you Renegade basses for as cheap as they are sound pretty good and come out of out the box with a decent set up.

I hope that helps.

I'm not a fan of the jazz bass, even though I'm building a jazz knock-off. I like string spacing a little tighter, neck smaller, action lighter. Basically, the Ibanez bass. I've got an SR505 and really like it. Lots of options on the tone.

I am not a bass player - I come to bass guitar more as a guitarist, so I find the string spacing on the Fenders to be a little too wide - I've found Ibanez basses to be a little more user friendly (and most lines are well made and reasonably priced). Now, I work with a guy who is a bass player (has been a Fender player for many years) and he is not comfortable with the spacing on my Ibenez (he's use to the spacing of a Fender. While sound is important, playablity is also important.

Regarding a bass amp - if you are looking primarly to record (vs. live gigs) you may be better served using a DI. I use the Sansamp Bass Driver and it gives me a lot of sound options, does not require moving a lot of air (silent recording) and it takes up a small amount of space (vs. a bass amp with a 15" or 4-10" speakers.

I can also vouch for the jazz bass. I got my 95 MIM for 300 bucks. I put some money into new pickups and a new bridge and it plays and sounds great! Another option is the Sterling ray34. It has a more modern sound but the preamp makes it quite versatile.

Thanks for all the help!

I'm glad to know that DI works so well just for recording, as that's probably the only thing I'll use the bass for.

I'll have a look at second hand basses around the internet and check out all your suggestions. Thanks again!

Cheers!

Back