A Project...

XploZiveToyz

All American Un-American
I know that some of the guys here are very good with their hands and enjoy building things. I have a project for someone if they'd like to do it. Here is what I want: I want a guitar shaped like a Fender Jazzmaster or Jaguar, but with the same thickness as a Les Paul. I don't want the edges rounded off like on Strats. I want a neck like that on a Telecaster, but reversed. I want humbucking pickups like the kinds that were on the better Les Pauls. I want them to have coil splitting, and for the bridge pickup to to wired so that at the flip of a switch I could get a few db boost. I want a rosewood neck and for it to be unvarnished. I will pay a $1000.00 plus shipping to anyone that would like to build the aforementioned guitar. If your'e interested let me know. :guitar::guitar:

Last edited:
Yeah, and I know a lot assholes. And because of your smart-ass answer I now know another! Your Mother may not have slapped the shit out of you when you were a child, but I'll be more than glad to asshole!

Yeah, and I know a lot assholes. And because of your smart-ass answer I now know another! Your Mother may not have slapped the shit out of you when you were a child, but I'll be more than glad to asshole!

I don't get this... Fleet was just making a joke. Political commentary on the enforcement of child labor laws in Korea.

My apologies then. I hadn't even drank my first cup of coffee when I wrote that. I just thought the guy was being a smart-ass. And believe me, the world is already over-populated with smart-asses!
I'm interested in doing this because I want to see if it's possible to build a guitar for $1000.00 that is comparable to the overpriced LP's that Gibson is producing. I have several LP's from 60's and 70's that I didn't pay anywhere close to $1000.00 for. I think Gibson has turned into nothing more than another greedy corporation over-charging working musicans for guitars I used to pick up in pawn shops for $300.00. It's ridiculous and I just want to prove to myself that it is still possible to get a pro level guitar for a reasonable price.
Anyway, sorry for displaying my Irish temper! LOL!

To work within that budget you would need to specify what timbers you had in mind as well as the fittings and the finish..

What do you mean by telecaster neck but reversed? Do you mean the headstock?

To work within that budget you would need to specify what timbers you had in mind as well as the fittings and the finish..

What do you mean by telecaster neck but reversed? Do you mean the headstock?

I'm guessing the headstock points the other way like you see on metal shredding guitars, sort of like you'd get with a left-handed neck on a right-handed guitar.

You are completely right. I was using the wrong terminology. A reversed Telecaster type headstock is the correct description of what I want.
The consensus here and other places I've checked is that on electric guitars the type of tone woods used makes little or no difference in the sound. I tend to agree with the consensus. That being said, what to you think about basswood?

Basswood is soft. I would be reluctant to use it because strap buttons could work loose.

Here's a site I found a while ago. Pretty informative

Tone Woods

I'm interested in doing this because I want to see if it's possible to build a guitar for $1000.00 that is comparable to the overpriced LP's that Gibson is producing. I have several LP's from 60's and 70's that I didn't pay anywhere close to $1000.00 for.

Gibsons are priced the way they are because they can be. Amps are the same way. There's so much low end crap out there now that the really good stuff comes at a price. A new Gibson in your hands is *usually* a better guitar than some ESP or Dean POS. And Gibsons are still made in the USA. That alone commands a bigger price tag because unionized factory workers gotta make 70 bucks an hour and get 19 smoke/coffee breaks per day. That costs money. Asian kids in sweatshops work 25 hours a day for 3 cents per hour. That costs less money.

You are of course right to a certain extent, but it has just got out of hand. When a man buys a Les Paul Standard that man should hold in his hands a guitar that plays smooth as butter, and has a great tone. But unfortunately that isn't always the case. That man may have to go through 10 LP's to find that one "magical" guitar. To me, at the current prices, that is unacceptable. Back when I was younger they basically had three Les Paul's; the Studio, the Standard, and the Custom. That was it. Period. Now the have the Standard Supreme, the Reissues, etc, etc. It's complete bullshit. Used to be that the Standards and Customs were made with the best grade of woods. Not anymore! To get the same Standards I have, one would have to pay five or six grand. Bullshit I say! If I were good with my hands I'd prove that one could get a great sounding, great playing guitar for a thousand dollars or less. Unfortunately I'm in Boilermakers Union and certified in four types of welding. Wish the skills my hands do was wood instead of metal! LOL! Maybe I'm just a cranky old man, but I think Gibson has gone overboard with it's pricing. But as Dennis Miller used to say,"Of course this is just my opinion , and I could be wrong!" LOL!

So, Imma gonna hijack this thread like Kanye West hijacked Taylor Swift's moment.

Is anyone interested in making a couple of neck blanks?? Complete with frets? For bass???

Was out in my tool room and found my old Fostex Model 80 reel to reel eight track if someone wants it. I also found a pair of 1962 humbuckers off of a 1962 Gibson SG that I used to own. Wish I had it back! Got it in the mid 70's from a guy I'd fronted a pound of weed to. When he couldn't come up with the money he gave me that guitar and a Fender acoustic. The pound of weed wasn't but $150 dollars back then. That was right before a lot of Columbian red bud made it into my hands. I upped my prices from $10.00 an ounce for Mexican to $20.00 an ounce for the Columbian. My how times have changed.....along with prices! LOL!

You are of course right to a certain extent, but it has just got out of hand. When a man buys a Les Paul Standard that man should hold in his hands a guitar that plays smooth as butter, and has a great tone. But unfortunately that isn't always the case. That man may have to go through 10 LP's to find that one "magical" guitar. To me, at the current prices, that is unacceptable. Back when I was younger they basically had three Les Paul's; the Studio, the Standard, and the Custom. That was it. Period. Now the have the Standard Supreme, the Reissues, etc, etc. It's complete bullshit. Used to be that the Standards and Customs were made with the best grade of woods. Not anymore! To get the same Standards I have, one would have to pay five or six grand. Bullshit I say! If I were good with my hands I'd prove that one could get a great sounding, great playing guitar for a thousand dollars or less. Unfortunately I'm in Boilermakers Union and certified in four types of welding. Wish the skills my hands do was wood instead of metal! LOL! Maybe I'm just a cranky old man, but I think Gibson has gone overboard with it's pricing. But as Dennis Miller used to say,"Of course this is just my opinion , and I could be wrong!" LOL!

The problem with that, as I see it, is that none of the new higher-end Gibsons are actually bad. Going through 10 to find one that suits you could be seen as a problem, but one of your rejects could be perfect for someone else. That doesn't mean the 9 you passed on were junk. Gibsons just aren't that homogenized. Maybe that's due to their hand-built nature, or maybe their quality control is really an issue. Maybe it's both. The bottom line is that you don't have to fucking buy one so quit crying about it. :laughings:

LOL! You are right about that. It's a good thing I already own several because if I had to buy one now at their currently overly inflated prices, I wouldn't! But it's not just Gibson, it's the corporate mindset that has completely permeated America. I'm not going to go into a diatribe about how free market capitalism with no regulation in place has completely fucked up the world, because it won't change anything. I will say this though; things are fucked up! LOL!

LOL! You are right about that. It's a good thing I already own several because if I had to buy one now at their currently overly inflated prices, I wouldn't! But it's not just Gibson, it's the corporate mindset that has completely permeated America. I'm not going to go into a diatribe about how free market capitalism with no regulation in place has completely fucked up the world, because it won't change anything. I will say this though; things are fucked up! LOL!

I'm kind of in the same boat as you with Marshall. They release new reissues of their classics, and not-so-classics, that cost considerably more than the real originals cost used. A new JCM 800 reissue lists at $2400. An original early 80s JCM 800 can be found used for around $1200-1500. A new Plexi reissue lists at $2400. Original 60s Plexis are forget-about-it priced on the used market, but a used reissue can be had for less than half of what they are new. I just bought one. The real kicker is the JCM 900 Dual Reverb reissue. $2000. Some Marshall guys wouldn't spit on a 900 DR if it was on fire. They're arguably the worst big Marshall model ever made. I personally don't have a strong opinion on them, but most Marshall guys hate them. A $2000 reissue of a much maligned model that can be found for $500 used is insane to me. But some people will buy this stuff, or they wouldn't bother making them. Same with Gibsons.

I know exactly where you're coming from. I own old Marshall and Fender amps. The only reason I have them now is because I bought them so many years ago when I was a kid and you could still find them at reasonable prices. Sure I had to work, scrimp, and save, but that was part of it. A kid right out of highschool can't do that anymore. And that's regrettable.

Back