How many electric guitars does one really need to (fairly authentically) "cover the bases" - soundwise only?

I would imagine several, but I have no idea.
Probably just two. A pretty hefty claw hammer for knocking things apart, drawing nails and banging in big nails. Then a much lighter 'pin' hammer for pinning thin board and ply.

And contrary to what you see on many DIY shows, a proper carpenter would not dream of hitting a chisel with a hammer! He would use a wooden mallet.

Oh! And there is such a thing as "veneer hammer" but you would not recognize it as such.

Dave.

I recall a story of some dude who happened into Lennon in NYC and got the job to clean up his guitars and he didnt have that many. I was surprised how few.
Especially compared to todays folks at times who are like the Spinal Tap dude with guitars hes never even played or looked at...lol

McCartney through the beatles didnt bother with collecting a museum of instruments either.

But I dont see it, even as a Home Recording hobbyist.... its fun to have different tastes, like posted above, Single Coil, Humbuckers, maybe a P-Bass and a Jazz type...
maybe a Les Paul humbucker tone and a Fender single coil tone which is noticeable.

So I will vote..... 2qty Jaxzz and P basses, 2qty 6 stings Electrics Strat/Tele and Humbucker... main base. Its more than I need.

I went through the pup changeout thing and it was so many pups, like microphones theres like 10,000 too many to compare them all.

I think this time around, instead of adding several more guitars, I'm looking at Blue Cat Audio's Re-Guitar plugin which simulates many pickup arrangements.

It's not free ($99). I think this may, as the thread title says, "fairly authentically cover the basses bases". Who knows.. the demos sound ok.

Last edited:
I think this time around, instead of adding several more guitars, I'm looking at Blue Cat Audio's Re-Guitar plugin which simulates many pickup arrangements.

It's not free ($99). I think this may, as the thread title says, "fairly authentically cover the basses". Who knows.. the demos sound ok.
I think there's a pedal like that...

Found it...

This has probably already been stated but if you are playing live, two minimum not including acoustics. I don't speak for bass players.

This will either be the definitive answer to the original question asked, or it will just encourage more discussion.

How many pairs of shoes does a woman need to walk from point A to point B? Eh??

When your wife questions your guitar acquisition habits, just ask her that question and watch the looks. Just make sure you have an avenue of escape.

Back