A mix for your ears...

Zeppelin456

Banana Co
Hey all, I think the last time I posted as song up here was 2003 or something...I remembred how much fun it was to get input on a mix from random people and so here I am.

This song was recorded almost entirely on the MacBook Pro built in mic into Logic. Drums and guitars were built in mic. I love the built in on drums...I played everything, my guitarist Sarah sang and added a little bit of guitar. Bass was done DI'd into my MOTU 896 and the vocals were done with one of the Oktava large diaphragms, although I can't remember which one we used. My question: do the drums sound too loud to you? They're definitely supposed to be high in the mix, but are they washing out everything else?

Thanks for any/all advice!

Last edited:
That's a nice little quirky song you got there. It wasn't boring to listen to at all. It had a nice arrangement. What did you use to get that out of tune synth sound?

The drums are a little too loud. Knock them down some in the main song. In the little break down they're fine. Did you double track them? If that's the sound you want, then you got it. However, the song sounds wide to me. Maybe pan the drums in some. Maybe 40/40 to 70/70. Experiment. If you don't want to, then you know.... Don't.

Great song! I hope to hear more from you.

Drums are double tracked. I basically tried to play em as simple as I could (few fills) so that they mostly remained together. The few fills I did were set up to deviate from each other slightly to give them a cool effect (especially on headphones). The out of tune synth was an organ in Logic that I ran thru the iZotope vinyl plugin and then automated the pitch shifter to ever so slightly oscillate between being sharp and flat. It's supposed to be creepy--I wish there were an easier instrument that did this automatically since I had to spend quite a lot of time working on that automation.

I'll try moving the drums in although I'll probably have to turn them down even more. Thanks!

Awesome song. I'm listening on headphones so take with a grain of salt. I thought the vocals come up a bit. I like the loud drums but the vocals seemed pretty far back most of the time, when her voice is pretty damn cool.

Your band? Sounds like the strings on a Mellotron. I love those things! :) Keep up the good work!

Yep mellotron samples. Pretty easy to find them if you search google. It's my band yeah, http://www.kcquilty.com

I'm most worried about the vocals getting lost. I can't make up my mind--I want the vocals to have a slightly buried quality but also still have the lyrics/feel be completely audible. I'm at odds with myself basically...

Yep mellotron samples. Pretty easy to find them if you search google. It's my band yeah, http://www.kcquilty.com

I'm most worried about the vocals getting lost. I can't make up my mind--I want the vocals to have a slightly buried quality but also still have the lyrics/feel be completely audible. I'm at odds with myself basically...

I know exactly what you mean. Same with my music, I want the lyrics to be intelligible but not like pop vocals. I want them to be mixed with the instruments, not the instruments around the vocals. Indie rock!

Didn't expect that music to come out of someone with zeppelin as their user name. :)

Aw fuck, I've had this account since 2002. I was 14. I probably thought zep was the best band ever. I mean, not that I don't love em but...

im only listening on laptop speakers, but It sounds ace! the girls voice fits it very well, dunno whats wrong with the drums to be honest, the song sounds nice and wide, very full sound for what few instruments there seem to be at times.

The drum tone is pretty cool, but the panning is weird. As it is now, the differences between the two sound more awkward and less like an effect.

It might be worth messing with the panning on a few individual drums. For example, the double "claps" on the left hand side, maybe move the second one to the right side instead?

The synth tone is very cool.

oh I like this a lot...very cool..loved the plodding arrangement..great synths sounds..

I thought the mix sounded perfect to me..and a real mish mash of styles

great stuff Zep :)

My "monitoring" system is pretty...bizarre? I spend a little time getting things sounding good on headphones (yes I'm well aware of the dangers of mixing on headphones but I love them for editing--you can hear every bad edit/pop/whatever). Then I pop the mix on my Altec Lansing computer speakers from 1999. Now, these speakers are DEFINITELY not meant to be mixed on. However, I've been mixing on them pretty much since 1999. And I always burn CDs and play things in the car, on a boombox, on someone's stereo, so I'm aware of what the speakers do to my mixes. I don't think I'll ever make professional mixes on Altec Lansing computers speakers that came with Dell computers in the late 90s, but it works well enough for someone who's broke.

The panning definitely sounds better on headphones than speakers but I don't think I'm unhappy with it. I'm mostly worried about the relative level of the drums. I can't make up my mind.

My "monitoring" system is pretty...bizarre? I spend a little time getting things sounding good on headphones (yes I'm well aware of the dangers of mixing on headphones but I love them for editing--you can hear every bad edit/pop/whatever). Then I pop the mix on my Altec Lansing computer speakers from 1999. Now, these speakers are DEFINITELY not meant to be mixed on. However, I've been mixing on them pretty much since 1999. And I always burn CDs and play things in the car, on a boombox, on someone's stereo, so I'm aware of what the speakers do to my mixes. I don't think I'll ever make professional mixes on Altec Lansing computers speakers that came with Dell computers in the late 90s, but it works well enough for someone who's broke.

The panning definitely sounds better on headphones than speakers but I don't think I'm unhappy with it. I'm mostly worried about the relative level of the drums. I can't make up my mind.

Im in my studio today listening on a pair of well placed Rokit 5's and I've got to say the mix is killer. The vox are a little buried at the beginning, but they do emerge. Don't touch the drums....man, they work great. I understand why you're unsure of the levels, but to me, they are an integral part of the whole lo-fi, plodding, almost ELO-like groove and I really think they're just about where they need to be. You might be able to seat the vocals a little nearer by adding a hint of 4k into her track...not so much as to destroy the dry ambience, but enough to bring her just a step closer.

Sweet tuneage...I completely dig it.:cool:

What I like:

The singer's voice. Reminds me of Sher Crow.
The concept...very Beatles...and the mix, Martinesque. Sounds like
"The Walrus" from Sgt Pepper, a lot.

The mellotron, Zep "All of my Love" treatment.

But: the stuff on the far pans is way louder than it needs to be. The claps scared the crap outta me.....too much!!!

The blend...well...there is none. Especially with the kit. And there's that snare bouncing off the L&R walls that makes it sound like it's popping all over the place.

My opinion: De-emphasize the kit...find some blendier sounds...especially the brass [yikes]...and listen to "Walrus" to hear how good it could sound with the right blend, and sounds, and ambiences [of which you have too many, I think] on the guitars. You're not in uncharted territory...unless it's your purpose to craft a bad recording. Notwithstanding your own preference...and the applause above.

I think the work has a lot of potential. But not 'there' yet.

Up the vox: she's the highlight of the tune!!!!

You're not in uncharted territory...unless it's your purpose to craft a bad recording.

hehehe I like that. Gonna put it up on the myspace with all the other crappy reviews we've ever gotten. But also thanks for the input. Re: the mellotron, I'm thinking more of the first king crimson album than All My Love. I always HATED the keyboards on All My Love. that's zeppelin at their most pathetic. Definitely going to up the vox, muchas gracias.

Those drums were recorded with the Mac's built in mic?!?! It gives it a nice earthy sound. I don't even know how to describe it.

Song's very good.
Singer has some pitch issues and the voice is difficult to understand, kind of very lo-fi. The guitar lead parts....hmn, I don't know. I like the drums way up front like that. The song definitely has substance but could be done better IMHO.

Joey :)

Back