A Measure of Salt

Maybe adding in a little of the direct bass in could help add some string definition.

The slapback and phasing are probably in the room mics, which were close to a wall in order to have a straight on look at the kit. I made the field too wide and I think the (stereo left) mic is grabbing early reflections off the wall.

I think I'll try taking just one of the room mics in mono and see where that takes us.

Thanks!!

No, you misunderstand, or I didn't type it well. I meant I can hear maybe adding some slapback to the drums. The phase thing is a different thought. But yeah, the phase is probably in the overheads. The easiest way to check for it is if you have some kind of mono or downmix monitoring option on your particular DAW.

Perfectly placed proggy, snarling, stightly distorted bass.
Could use a little more BASS DRUM (Sorry Incanus).
Excellent song takes a nice little journey and avoids the dreaded plod along.
The toms sound OK to me - but I'm not a drummer.
Vocals sound fabbo!
Intro - yep Kinks as mutated through Cheap Trick disintergrated and reassembled as per analytical cubism principles by LPC.
Oh, solo is GOOT 2!
Has your signature sound, (to me that's the bass, drums & vox), and a hook that'd catch Moby's dick.
Obviously I've downloaded this & will store it with my other LPC pre release gems waiting for the big day to arrive!!!!

I have to agree with the few that mentioned the bass could use a tad more low end sound and the drums possibly some more "presence" but heck I am a noob and just giving my 2 cents. Great job and cool tune ~

Thanks cincy_kid. Your comments are well-taken and appreciated.

No, you misunderstand, or I didn't type it well. I meant I can hear maybe adding some slapback to the drums. The phase thing is a different thought. But yeah, the phase is probably in the overheads. The easiest way to check for it is if you have some kind of mono or downmix monitoring option on your particular DAW.

....Aaahh. Thanks, Madz. We'll try cracking this one open again this week.

Perfectly placed proggy, snarling, stightly distorted bass.
Could use a little more BASS DRUM (Sorry Incanus).
Excellent song takes a nice little journey and avoids the dreaded plod along.
The toms sound OK to me - but I'm not a drummer.
Vocals sound fabbo!
Intro - yep Kinks as mutated through Cheap Trick disintergrated and reassembled as per analytical cubism principles by LPC.
Oh, solo is GOOT 2!
Has your signature sound, (to me that's the bass, drums & vox), and a hook that'd catch Moby's dick.
Obviously I've downloaded this & will store it with my other LPC pre release gems waiting for the big day to arrive!!!!

As always, your wry comments are really appreciated, Ray. More kick is definitely in the offing. Again, I'm really impressed with the RE-20 as a vocal mic. I recorded all the vocals (and all of the guitar tracks except acoustic) with it. Sure beats an SM57.

have you mastered it at all?

Only a back-of-the-envelope master in Wavelab.

Wow! This is now another favorite of the Little Purple Circles classic tunes!!!!

It has a take charge intro that grabs hold of ya!!

I hear a "kinks" flavour to it too with that go-pause-go-pause timing...sorta psychelic Kinks..lol.. that makes it really enjoyable for an offbeat freak like me. But the Kink reference is more at the intro ...other than that, it is Little Purple Circles";)

I LOVE the guits on this!!! They are vintage rock n roll voiced guitars...love love love it!!! I don't recall, hearing the guitars quite so rowdy on your tunes before...:D

I have been listening quite a few times. I lost track at 10....EDIT:back at it again tonight....going for another 8:eek:...EDIT:back for some more listens...!!! I have listened over and over, and unless my ears are just fried....I hear no issues...of course, I am not someone with any big recording star experience or nothin'...I have been keeping notes, from the first listen, all the way through to now...cause with every listen I can hear something cool, I missed in the previous listen and know I haven't covered it all.;)

Vocals are awesome. Lyrics are good too. Bass is great and the love that snare sound. The cymbals are right on. Is that a small splash you use a lot in here too...?

I am just listening to enjoy at the moment.

I don't know what you have since done to the tune and I know you guys are perfectionist and that it never seems to be 'right' to your ears...but I honestly think it is excellent....just the way it is. No overwork of slides or knobs needed. It has it's own pure sound to it.

I wanted to say, the simple-to-rockin'-down guitars are my favorite...love that that awesome build up starting around 2:10 with the snare, riding cymbal(?) and guitar intertwined to sound like an instrument all it's own .... and by 2:27 is getting on with a kick butt solo(wish it were longer). I thought the guits were my favorite...but wait...

...listen to those drums, which by the way, have impeccable ever-changing timing and offbeat flavour(or the illusion thereof) with excellent cymbal-play for icing on the cake...love the way you ride that ride...the nice deep throated bass calls to my ears to pay attention...It comes out front at just the right time and moves back just enough, to give front seat to the other parts for thier turn at the spotlight....the vocals are very interesting to me, because I hear a cool potpourri of 60's Beach Boy, shimmering back-up vocals with a tamed down 70's Joe Walsh nasal lead vox. I love the echo/delay used on the vocals, creating some intensity in just the right spots...working to a siren sound with the guits...cool stuff.

Then again, it could just be the overall connection and talent of the two dudes who did it!!!

Little Purple Circles at their best:cool:

Kudos guys!!!

True:)

I'm telling you True...these guys were a blast to hang out with for a few days...good musicians, and good friends. Fun....:cool:

I bet they were Dog as well as the many others here!! I am glad you got to meet so many of em and still look forward to meeting them and you and Mrs Dog ....someday...:D

You guys fucking rock.

Thanks, True - I hope we get to jam someday.

Idol, I wish I could take credit for the bass sound but Incanus just makes it happen. Without him there would be no LPC.

Dogman, you know we need to get together and get a drink or seven on.

I'm thinking the kick drum still needs some attention.....

You guys fucking rock.

Thanks, True - I hope we get to jam someday.

Idol, I wish I could take credit for the bass sound but Incanus just makes it happen. Without him there would be no LPC.

Dogman, you know we need to get together and get a drink or seven on.

I'm thinking the kick drum still needs some attention.....
See what I mean.....go get it mastered already!!!!!:D:D:D

Very cool.

Well written, nice arrangement.

Bass has a Geddy Lee sound, and it fits fine. You could put most any Bass tone in here and it would work. Drum stuff has been covered in previous posts. The singing and guitar work is great. Love the tamborine!

I am impressed.

I'm not sure if this is old now?

and this is the final mix?

It's fine as far as the drums go that is a "sound" if you push the drums for a stronger sound you will run the risk of killing the astetic.

i would just turn the "Hat" down in the intro actually just some of the higher FEQ in the intro crash and hat.

only in the intro. and this is a small point just to let that lead shine a bit more.

and that's it for me.
great sounding tune.

please i'd say don't put more kik in, toms are fine, this is a 60's 70's sound not an 80's sound. drums are good as is!

This is a great song! Love the timing. Love the Bass slides. Love the Bass growl. Love the vocal. Love the lyrics. Love the main riff. Love the guitar sound. Love the reverb on it. ah feck it, I love it all!!

"Words only get in the way" - top!

Seems to dip quite a bit around 1:15, wonder if Mastering would sort this? Would probably sort the (very slight, personal preference) bottom end too, its a little light for me. The mix is cock on tho, maybe a bit of 2 and a half k on the kick if anything, I likes me click!

5th listen on the trott here. GREAT track!

Andy

Back