A good guitar?

Well, you could do much worse.

Fender has never lavished their acoustics with much in the way of high build quality, and their acoustics' rep suffers for it. Further, Starcaster is the cheapest of the cheap that still has some affiliation with Fender. Buying a guitar via the internet is always in iffy proposition- you can't determine if the action is not too high, if the frets stick out too far (and thus slice your hand open, just a little, when you run it up or down the neck,) of if the body is properly glued together. All that are the glaring problems a cheap guitar can have- if you actually get one, via the 'net, that has none of those problems and sounds good, you probably should have used that huge stroke of luck on a lottery ticket...

All that negativity out of the way, as I said, you could do much worse- don't EVEN consider a Estaban, for instance, no matter HOW pretty it looks. You asked if that guitar would be good for starters- probably so, but understand that it will only take you so far, then it may cause your advancement to plateau, and you won't know it is the guitar holding you back. Thus, you may get discouraged and decide guitar is not for you, when in fact THAT guitar is no longer for you.

You've got a long way to go to educate yourself about buying a guitar. You will probably spend more, but have far less chance of getting a POS, by going to a mid-sized, locally owned music store, or Sam Ash/Guitar Center, and looking there. I am seeing several acoustic guitars selling (looked on Guitar Center's website, but I like Sam Ash a bit better, and they will be very competative) for less than the $129 that one at NewEgg, and if you can get one of those thru the store, you will benefit from 1) getting to see/feel/play it before you buy, and 2) if you choose a sales associate carefully, he or she will be able to advise you as to whether you want that one, or not. Frankly, I would not advise paying less than about $300 for a guitar. Once you break the $300 or $400 point, you are likely to get a guitar that will serve you well for years.

You could, If you are taking lessons, ask your teacher to evaluate a used guitar you are eyeing- ask the seller to meet you there at the beginning of your lesson. Two things you should be prepared to do: 1) pay your teacher for his time evaluating the guitar, just like you are taking a lesson at that point in time, and 2) don't expect the seller to haggle too much- you have asked him to drive somewhere with the possibility of selling his guitar- when he gets there, he already has made an investment in time and expense, don't beat him up on the price.

So, in conclusion, I'd pass on that NewEgg guitar. Really, would you buy a computer mother board from a music store?

I am a newbie and wondering get my first guitar. Just find this Fender Starcaster 2-Tone Sunburst Acoustic Guitar, $129 bucks, and was $199. seems the lowest price on the internet, but idl you opinions. It it good for starters?

I have played those cheapo strarcaster acoustics and I don't care for them. The tone is thin and chessy sounding and they don't project very well.
If I were going to buy my first acoustic...knowing what I know now...I would buy used instead of new.
If you dish out $129 for the starcaster and then decide you want to upgrade to a good playing and nicer sounding guitar...you would be lucky to get $50 for it when you decide to sell.
Non-vintage used guitars usually go for about half of their retail price. So, the $129 would actually get you a used guitar that retailed new for close to $300.
You're not going to be able to get a used solid wood top/back/and sides guitar for $129 but you can surely get a solid top with laminate back and sides in that range.
Some good budget priced guitars that give you good bang for the buck in the used market are Yamaha, Blueridge, Brairwood, Recording King, Tak., and Alvarez.

You can get something decent used for your $129 and you can get something very nice used for $500.
As you learn to play ...(I'm assuming you are just starting out)... you're not going to be happy with what $129 got you in a brand new guitar im my opinion.

It's very important to take someone with you who knows guitars when shopping for your first...they will help you make sure your money is spent wisely.

Last edited:
Id ditch the fender deal...go to the pawn shop and steal an old Yamaha F series...they have great tone and build quality...and the pawn shops are full of them...you can dicker them down to like $50 in most cases.

Ive had fenders and I was never impressed with thier acoustic stuff.

Id ditch the fender deal...go to the pawn shop and steal an old Yamaha F series...they have great tone and build quality...and the pawn shops are full of them...you can dicker them down to like $50 in most cases.

Ive had fenders and I was never impressed with thier acoustic stuff.

It's funny...pawn shops around here (Mississippi) used to be THE place to score decent guitars for next to nothing. Now the pawn shops are higher than the music stores. They won't budge off of prices on used guitars that reflect what the guitar cost brand new. It's insane.
The local pawn shop here had a F series Yamaha. it was skinned all up and worn to hell and back...but...sounded awsome, had incredible projection, and didn't need a neck reset. I offered them $100 for it and they wouldn't budge off $300.
I passed and someone else bought it a few weeks later.

+1 to everything that's been said so far - Fender's acoustics never really did it for me, and my first "good" guitar was an american Strat, so I've always had a soft spot for everything bearing their logo.

On the cheap, I've always been VERY impressed with Alvarez's entry-level offerings.

It's funny...pawn shops around here (Mississippi) used to be THE place to score decent guitars for next to nothing. Now the pawn shops are higher than the music stores. They won't budge off of prices on used guitars that reflect what the guitar cost brand new. It's insane.
The local pawn shop here had a F series Yamaha. it was skinned all up and worn to hell and back...but...sounded awsome, had incredible projection, and didn't need a neck reset. I offered them $100 for it and they wouldn't budge off $300.
I passed and someone else bought it a few weeks later.
You have to look arround and pick your pawn shop...the best are the ones that have too much stuff...we have a place here that resorted to using zip ties and hanging guitars off the cieling...go to them...they will dicker with you...
the ones arround here that have just a few tend to not deal with as many because they cant sell them...and they are beating the people up on the loans...dont do business with those guys...they will be gone soon enough anyway.

And I agree with these /\/\/\/\ guys too.

I'd be looking harder at a used acoustic instead of a cheapo new. Check yard sales too. I picked up a nice playing Yamaha acoustic at one for $50 :D

Now, if you have your heart set on an acoustic, then I agree with everything that has been said here already. Take a buddy that knows something about acoustics to help you pick a good used one. Play a bunch "side by side" one after another. Youll start to hear a difference.

I realize this is a whole new topic, but as a newbie just starting out, I like to recommend electric over acoustic.

I think you can get a starter electric that is decently built, usually has good action, ( translate -easy to play) , and even with a cheapo amp, can get some pretty good tone.

My own 2 cents. I have always been glad I learned on electric

My favorite electric is the one I made...if you cant build one yourself just go to a shop with a good builder and build one with the parts you want.

Most of the time there is a body or two on craigslist...going from there you can build a masterpiece...and you will never complain that you didnt get exactly what you wanted.

Of course I built mine in the late 80s...Id do some things differently today.

Now, if you have your heart set on an acoustic, then I agree with everything that has been said here already. Take a buddy that knows something about acoustics to help you pick a good used one. Play a bunch "side by side" one after another. Youll start to hear a difference.

I realize this is a whole new topic, but as a newbie just starting out, I like to recommend electric over acoustic.

I think you can get a starter electric that is decently built, usually has good action, ( translate -easy to play) , and even with a cheapo amp, can get some pretty good tone.

My favorite electric is the one I made...if you cant build one yourself just go to a shop with a good builder and build one with the parts you want.

Most of the time there is a body or two on craigslist...going from there you can build a masterpiece...and you will never complain that you didnt get exactly what you wanted.

Of course I built mine in the late 80s...Id do some things differently today.

A small but quite crucial observation..

Acoustic....this an acoustic guitar thread.

Sorry for falling out of line...I forgot the internet had strict rules about that.

I just wondered why you guys were advising him to assemble or buy an electric guitar when he asked for thoughts on options for acoustics. Just seems dumb to me, the guy wants help choosing an acoustic.

Other than that you can carry on posting your crap all over this board as usual people will call you out as usual just the same as always..

I just wondered why you guys were advising him to assemble or buy an electric guitar when he asked for thoughts on options for acoustics. Just seems dumb to me, the guy wants help choosing an acoustic.
Well since you fancy yourself a moderator...what is your recommendation to the OP?

Well since you fancy yourself a moderator...what is your recommendation to the OP?

I rarely if ever comment on brands. Choice of guitar is a very personal thing. I have and will give advice based on what I consider the best way to approach auditioning guitars. I have done that a lot here.

Having said that one of the rare exceptions I make to commenting on brands is fender. Their acoustics are junk, always have been. Your recommendation of an early Yamaha fg series was a good one, you blew it with the justification.

Oh and they asked me to mod. I refused point blank. I prefer plain speaking.

For a dirt cheap acoustic, the best ones I've played are Mitchells. I bought one for $80 at Guitar Center for a camping guitar. It'll be going to Europe with me in a few weeks. Even if you have good guitars, you need an expendable beater. The Mitchell has a straight neck, the tuners are good, the build quality is excellent (for the price), and the intonation is near perfect. Does it sound like a cheap guitar? Yes. Most cheap guitars do. But- it's easy to play, and an excellent learning tool. Fender is a big name, even though their acoustics are nothing special. When you are buying a $150 acoustic, you can't afford to pay for a name. My best suggestion:

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Mitchell-MD100-Dreadnought-Acoustic-Guitar-100176981-i1166436.gc

Bound fretboard, compensated saddle. Yeah, it's laminated. The solid top version is about $180. It's a frighteningly functional cheap dreadnought. Real mother-of-pearl dot inlays, Abalone rosette. What the hell? It has served me rather well.-Richie

I say just the opposite.
And to totally derail this thread,if acoustic strings are to hard on you,look at a ukulele,great for building your sense of rhythm,easy on the hands and a lot cheaper than a guitar.

I will now run away as fast as I can and don my flame proof suit.:eek:

You think I'm kidding don't you?:confused::mad::p

The smiley is because I couldn't agree with you more. The only difference is because you posted it people may think on it. If I posted I would get flamed as a know it all arrogant cock.:laughings:

Not that I care much about that.:cool:

Back