a clear sound in a preamp

RobbieD

Hey guys im looking for a preamp that can give me a nice clear crisp tone, probably solidstate, any suggestions??

I picked up a Langevin DVC a couple of months ago...very nice!
Pretty clean preamp, and the DI is killer on bass!

There's one on eBay $1300-$1500...not sure if it is an earlier version or later one, they have some differences. The later versions allow you to use the pre/EQ and ELOP as two separate units...very cool.

12pacifica_lg.jpg

Features
Technical Data
• Solid State Design
Input Impedance
1500 Ohm
• Custom input Transformers
Gain Range
72 dB
• Custom output Transformers
Noise (EIN)
-128 dB
• Single Rack Space
Mic Phantom
Switchable 48 Volt Power Source <
• Balanced XLR Input
Mic Input Phase
Switchable 0 -180
• Balanced XLR Output
Instrument Input Jack
1/4" Phono
• Level Controls
Balanced XLR Output

• -20dB Pad Switch
Output
Balanced
• 48v Switch
Frequency Response
9Hz-101KHz
• Phase Switch
Distortion
Less than 1%
• Blue LED Power indicator
Power Requirements
100/120/230 VAC - 23 Watts
• ON/OFF Switch
Dimensions
19" x 1.75" x 10"
• Toroid Power Transformer
Weight
11lbs.
12.5 lbs. shipping weight
• 72dB Gain

• Hi Z ¼ inch input for Direct Inject.

• Red LED Phantom Indicator

A Designs Audio

What are the engineers saying about the
A Designs Pacifica?

"The Pacifica has the depth of the Neve, the top end of a GML and the punch of the API-all rolled into one great mic pre." Tony Shepperd-Producer/Engineer/Mix/ Studio Owner: Back Street Boys, Lionel Richie, Kenny Loggins, Melissa Etheridge, Elton John, Indie

"In a room filled with a very wide selection of pres such as 550's, 1073's and many more, the Pacifica instantly became the most frequently used preamp." Yoni Gileadi-films and music: IMAX Mysteries of Egypt, IMAX Texas: The Big Picture, IMAX Mystic India; Recordings/Remix: Kaskade, Backside, David Bowie mash-up remix, Love Digit, Sunfall, Sofina.

"Finally a mic pre and D.I. for those of us tired of squinting with our ears. Its the past-but the way I WANT to remember it." Dylan Dresdow-Engineer/Grammy Award Nominee/ Tec Award Nominee/ Studio Owner: Black Eyed Peas, Ricky Martin, Tweet, Christina Aguilera, Indie

"If I had to start over, the Pacifica would be the first preamp I would buy. I've never heard a preamp with a 70's character that has such an open top end. It's the most versatile preamp in our collection of 11 types of preamps." Jason Buntz-Engineer/ Studio Owner/ Indie

"My overall impression is that it sits in there like a nice cross between Neve-ish and API-ish tones but with better transient response and more high end detail...overall very musical. I swear it went another octave above the API and Great River."

" Ican see it being an extremely versatile preamp that would get a lot of use on everything. Perfect for a small studio like mine that can't afford to have 20 different specialty preamps." Brad McGowan-Little Red Wagon Studios/ Engineer/ Indie

"Definitely a color that I could 'paint' the whole album with.I thought I was done buying preamps until this one arrived... it was like the last piece in the jigsaw puzzle that made the picture complete. [Now, what am I going to tell my wife?]" Barrett Nichols-Engineer/ Producer: Alpha Jerk Studio, Indie

"With thousands of dollars in vintage microphones at hand, only the Pacifica makes them sound the way I expect every time, now that I have heard it, no other mic pre will do." Jeff Sheridan-Engineer/ Producer/ Studio Owner: Disney Voice Over, Disney's 50th Anniversary Edition, Soundworks Studio, Indie

"If you are thinking something along the lines of an API pre, you really owe it to yourself to play around with the new A Designs Pacifica preamp. It has a similar feel/sound in the lows and mids (huge low end with slightly forward, but not obnoxious mids) but a top end that is extended and beautiful. On orchestral recording, it makes you sit up and take notice of the orchestra on the loud stuff, but yet has the subtlety needed for chamber music." Benjamin Mass Engineer/Mix/Studio Owner: Fifth Circle Audio, Mancini Institute, Billy Childs, Bill Cunliffe, Randy Brecker, Bill Watrous, John Clayton, Christian McBride, Elmer Bernstein, Dave Grusin, Jerry Goldsmith, Eddie Daniels, Richard Stoltzman, Ernie Watts and Mark O'Connor, Indie

"A Designs Audio's Pacifica is a perfect "10" Brains and Beauty!" Ted Perlman-Producer/Engineer/Composer/Musician/Studio Owner: Burt Bacharach, Bob Dylan, Neil Sedaka, Elton John, Carole King, Dolly Parton, Indie

"Now, my dilemma is that I want to keep the Pacifica even though I already own enough damn preamps. Should I sell one of the other ones? Damn." Larry Crane, Engineer/Producer/Studio Owner/Tape Op Magazine: Indie

JM-130.jpg

My go to pre is the JMK JM-130. In fact I am looking to get a second one down the road. If I were to have just one preamp, this would be it.

JM-130.jpg

My go to pre is the JMK JM-130. In fact I am looking to get a second one down the road. If I were to have just one preamp, this would be it.

I'm curious....

So what other preamps have you used side-by-side to this one, that makes this one your desert island choice...and why this one exactly?

I have a few decent pres, but always interested in new stuff. :)
I have four that are equally good, but I couldn't decide on one, since each has a certain flavor and purpose.
My two newest ones (Langevin DVC and Groove Tubes SuPre) are still being put through their paces, and I already found the DVC to have a killer DI for bass guitar. But my two older ones (CLM Dynamics DB400 and Sebatron VMP 4000e) are really great and have seen a lot of use. The CLM is super clean and has some crazy gain and headroom, with built in limiter and M/S matrix, while the Sebatron just has all kinds of colors, and I've use it on just about everything.

I'm curious....

So what other preamps have you used side-by-side to this one, that makes this one your desert island choice...and why this one exactly?

Fair Question!

My other Mic pres are two Symetrix SX-202, both upgraded by Jim Williams. I also added Jensen output transformers to them. These are very nice clean mic pres.

I recently got my JLM Baby Animals built, eight chan total. Four of them will have an API flavor and the other four Neve. I only have simple IC opamps in them, but have plans to upgrade them with discrete opamps in the future.

As for my desert island mic pre, I am a transformer junkie, so it must have those. The JM-130 input transformers have great headroom, so I don't have to use a pad when mic'ing kick, snares, etc. The output transformer is an API 2503, paired with its John Hardy 990C, the pre is clean but not sterile, warm but not dark. In addition to its well balanced sound, it has a solid designed and is built with high quality parts.

I am sure there are valid reasons to support other mic pres for a "desert island" selection, but I feel I have found the one that provides everything I am looking in a mic pre.

I wasn't sure if yours was a stock build or something else.

The web page is kinda whacky...the text gets cut off on the right....

I wasn't sure if yours was a stock build or something else.

The web page is kinda whacky...the text gets cut off on the right....

Yes , just the stock unit. I guess any mods to it would be a "downgrade". ;)

I guess at that price level, if it is not what you want, you are better off just buying something else.

I hope to do a mic/ mic pre shoot out in the near future with some fellow engineers. We will be sure to post our findings and some clips.

Back