A blues tune-Last one to know

Anfontan

Banned by eurt
Here's my latest demo attempt-it started as just jamming around with my Melody Maker. It has P-90 pickup with a nice nasty snarl-lot's of attitude too!
The song is still in the early stages and the beats aren't as tight as they could be, but give it a listen and a comment on what to focus on for improvement..
Thanks in advance!
--Tony
http://soundclick.com/share?songid=8631842

Hello there, the cymbals could be a little lower, i feel the kick and snare are unsynchronized, with a little delay between them. The drums are too boring, is like a drum machine, please add some breaks or a change of rhythm to add more interest. Also, the guitar execution at the beginning wasn't the best, work on it just a little more, i'm not saying that it was bad at all, just work it a little.

Cheers

Hello there, the cymbals could be a little lower, i feel the kick and snare are unsynchronized, with a little delay between them. The drums are too boring, is like a drum machine, please add some breaks or a change of rhythm to add more interest. Also, the guitar execution at the beginning wasn't the best, work on it just a little more, i'm not saying that it was bad at all, just work it a little.

Cheers

Ok, thanks for checking it out, there is still a lot of retracking to be done with this. Yeah the snare/kick beats were off, any drummers interested in adding a drum track out there?

Those P90's sure sound sweet! Great blues tune Tony. Your voice is well suited to the blues. I don't remember you playing harp before? IAC you're great at that too! No mix problems for me - sounds great! :cool:

Those P90's sure sound sweet! Great blues tune Tony. Your voice is well suited to the blues. I don't remember you playing harp before? IAC you're great at that too! No mix problems for me - sounds great! :cool:
Thanks a lot Gerry, that was a 2004 Gibson Melody Maker that is one of the few Gibson models that are still affordable. The newer Melody Makers don't have the 'dog ear' style P-90 in it and there is quite a difference in the tones.
It sure is a 'plain jane' guitar-but a wolf in sheep's clothing, too! See her below................;)
2004MelodyMaker-crop.jpg

I used to play the harmonica years ago, and actually figured that I had forgotten it all, but thought it would suit the song better than another guitar part so I just set up a cheap ribbon mike and went for it. I figured the ribbon would give it an 'old school' sound more than a dynamic or a condenser anyway.

I had a guitar stolen in 1982 that had P90's. I've had my eye open for one but could never afford to replace it... (see below)

Attachments

• 74-LP-Special.jpg
    74-LP-Special.jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 45
  • DSCN2863WEB.jpg
    DSCN2863WEB.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 44
The organ and the rhythm guitar were a little bland for me. Need more fill stuff. I like the idea of the song, I think it needs to be a bit faster. Just not quite their musically in my opinion. Guitar tone is decent, but still lacked that jump out and punch you in the face feeling that I think should be standard for such a blues based track. The mix didn't sound too bad though. I like where everything sits, except maybe for the organ, its too out in front. I think the vocal should be a bit dryer and brought up a bit in the mix. Thanks for the post. I think you could have a great tune on your hands. Keep it up.

Sounds pretty good for a song in an early stage, Tony. The solo axe sounds great. The rythm could do with some variation. Some drum timing issues here and there but you can fix those. I love your voice! Not bad for an italian singin' the blues!:D;)

Joey :):):):)

The organ and the rhythm guitar were a little bland for me. Need more fill stuff. I like the idea of the song, I think it needs to be a bit faster. Just not quite their musically in my opinion. Guitar tone is decent, but still lacked that jump out and punch you in the face feeling that I think should be standard for such a blues based track. The mix didn't sound too bad though. I like where everything sits, except maybe for the organ, its too out in front. I think the vocal should be a bit dryer and brought up a bit in the mix. Thanks for the post. I think you could have a great tune on your hands. Keep it up.

Thanks for the listen onestu3-I was going for a sparse 'Old School' blues club feel on this demo. I was kind of going for a Junior Wells and Buddy Guy type of thing from the 1960's. So it's pretty much unpolished at this point-next mix I may add some more parts and make it more aggressive.

I had a guitar stolen in 1982 that had P90's. I've had my eye open for one but could never afford to replace it... (see below)

Damn, that story is a heartbreaker Gerry, that was a beautiful Les Paul!
It looks quite a lot like a L. P. Studio, but I guess it would be a L. P. Special with those P-90's.
I sure hope one like it finds it's way to you someday soon...

Sounds pretty good for a song in an early stage, Tony. The solo axe sounds great. The rythm could do with some variation. Some drum timing issues here and there but you can fix those. I love your voice! Not bad for an italian singin' the blues!:D;)

Joey :):):):)

You are sure making me blush, Joey-that is a great compliment from a great singer like you to a mediocre one (me)...:o
I'm trying to re-do a lot of it and remix it soon-I need a 48 hour day to catch up though!

ANT,
A terrific start. Great vox & the harp is a teat (sorry that's be TREAT) too.
The organ needs just a little more vamp/attack/jump on the chord changes. It sounds too deliberately like you want it to be anonymous but at this stage both the rhythm guitar and it are trying to play the same supporting role - one of them has to bounce a little.
The solo works well except for the ending but I assume that's just a better finish now because the backing is over type finish.
You know about the drums.
Get the rhythm section up to the spark of the front line & you're away.

Last edited:
Hi, Anfontan!

See if it helps:

I like guitars- vox - organ performance and tone sounds good too.

But there´s no stereo image in the mix - it sounds basically mono + problems on the drums (timming issues).

Ciro

ANT,
A terrific start. Great vox & the harp is a teat (sorry that's be TREAT) too.
The organ needs just a little more vamp/attack/jump on the chord changes. It sounds too deliberately like you want it to be anonymous but at this stage both the rhythm guitar and it are trying to play the same supporting role - one of them has to bounce a little.
The solo works well except for the ending but I assume that's just a better finish now because the backing is over type finish.
You know about the drums.
Get the rhythm section up to the spark of the front line & you're away.

Thanks for the kind words, Ray-I would like to have added a piano part but I am not too much of a piano player...:o
I need to get a good drummer to give it a polished feel but for now I'm doing what I can with a cheap electronic drum kit--for the demo anyway~

Hi, Anfontan!

See if it helps:

I like guitars- vox - organ performance and tone sounds good too.

But there´s no stereo image in the mix - it sounds basically mono + problems on the drums (timming issues).

Ciro

And thanks to you as well, Ciro-I hope to add some extra instruments and work on the panning on the next mix.
Sorry for the delay in responding to you two-I've been really busy and have had limited recording time these days..

Back