90 degree xlr hack

TAE

All you have is now
So I decided to break out my ADK-51 ST condenser to use in place of my trusty SM57 to do some of these live recordings ( just couldn't it loud enough without hiss) ...and the cable hangs down too low almost hitting my keyboards keys ( yes I could have turned it around so the connector was pointing up) ... Hmmm? I need a 90 degree XLR
Could have ordered one on amazon and had in a few days but I thought to myself / self maybe we could just frankenstein with plumbing parts. Hour or so later Ta da! Hey it works and it only cost $1 for the 90 degree copper elbow that I already had in my garage...Totally fit perfect had to notch for the little button and drill a hole for the screw that holds the xlr plug.. I actually just sweated the copper fitting to the barrel part of the original ....ez pz if you happen to have the drills , soldering iron, propane torch and copper plumbing sweating experience. Could have drilled the barrel and fitting and used a screw instead of sweating it but sweating was too easy for me.

angle 1.jpgangle 2.jpgangle3.jpg

Last edited:
So, MacGyver, the corona virus scripts must be getting a bit slim, eh? :thumbs up:

FWIW, I just waited 2 days for a half dozen to get delivered when I needed a 90 degree plug. Four are still in the drawer, 4-5 years later. But SOMEDAY, I'll need one, and probably won't be able to find them.

Just FYI. If anyone is ever stuck like this and HAVE get a mic working but need a R/A plug, just dismantle a regular XLR and plug in the naked pins. You would think you would get all sorts of RF ***T bangin' in but in most cases you don't. The output resistance of mics is so low that the short bit of screening loss rarely matters. Naturally check recordings with cans (and a RTA if poss) for nasties.

Cracking 'kludge' by the way!

Dave.

Seems like a lot of work to just avoid buying the right item in the first place. Neutrik makes all kinds of connector as well as Switchcraft but the Neutrik I have used all worked well and were more to my liking. They can be had from Full Compass Systems or my favorite place in the radio business I was in was Broadcasters General Store in Ocala FL. I have built entire radio stations and worked on Studios for ESPN. We always used the stuff that was required and I did not see any need for copper pipe.

Seems like a lot of work to just avoid buying the right item in the first place. Neutrik makes all kinds of connector as well as Switchcraft but the Neutrik I have used all worked well and were more to my liking. They can be had from Full Compass Systems or my favorite place in the radio business I was in was Broadcasters General Store in Ocala FL. I have built entire radio stations and worked on Studios for ESPN. We always used the stuff that was required and I did not see any need for copper pipe.
For sure a lot easier n cheaper ( if you count my time ) but ordering one would have taken a day or two and this allowed me to get back to what I was trying to do in an hour...instead of a few days AND the fun and satisfaction of McGivering shit...I get a kick out of playing Dr. Frankenstein...Use it up, wear it out, make due or do without. I just did a shop vac rebuild that was hilarious ..The original stanley motor had gone out but it's a stainless steel tank on a cart with all the fittings , hoses and connections..Oh hell no I'm not throwing that away..for $100+bucks I could buy a nice shiny new one but that ain't no fun... First I tried using a leaf blower and it worked but I was dissapointed with the sucking and it made WAY too much noise... I had an older Dyson sitting the garage I'd been keeping for parts but the wife had moved on to a Shark vacuum and now I had two Dysons...soooooo Tore one apart pulled that killer vac motor out and frankensteined it onto the stanley Wowzer...most powerful shop vacuum I have ever owned and super quiet ...At Namm one year there was some booth handing out stickers that said stupididiotic ..they were cool looking so I grabbed a few...Never could quite figure out what to do with them....Well now I have a Stupididiotic Stanley shop vac that kicks ass ;)

Stupididiotic.JPGSTUPIDIDIOTIC

Last edited:
I have a pair of Roland VS-2480's and a Roland SI-24. These have 8 XLR's each on the top surface.
The XLR's in these units have pin sockets configured roughly at the 10 o'clock, 2 o'clock, and 6 o'clock positions, with the key at the 12 noon position. I wanted 90-degree male XLR's with the cables exiting the XLR housings straight back, and not be at an angle. I looked (hopefully) at the Neutrik NC3MRX-B connector and associated drawings. However, that connector does not show any stock position that allows the housing to be set 180 degrees from the standard supplied configuration (which would have cables running down the front of the units - not acceptable).

I have sent a message to Neutrik today to inquire if they have a stock connector that will do this.
If not, I can only think I will have to modify connectors to suit, since I have not been able to locate any other manufacturers that sell them in this configuration.

It seems simple... just make one with the pins 180 degrees away from the "standard" angled connector. But it doesn't seem to be commercially available.

Anyone have any experience on this?

Starliner

BTW skywaveTDR, I live real close to Ocala where BGS is located, and called them today.

Attachments

• XLR Orientation - VS-2480 and SI-24 - 3-9-19.jpg
    XLR Orientation - VS-2480 and SI-24 - 3-9-19.jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:
Wonderful! :)
For an AT825 on my Lumix camera, instead, I took only the inside of a 5 pin XLR (it is a stereo microphone), I soldered the wires, then I bent them and hot-glued. A 90° connector would have been heavier!

Back