8 channel preamp, with OUTPUT lightpipe, to use as stand alone pre converter and DAW

outsider

Please i am looking for any suggestion about a good quality audio interface to use as stand alone preamp and converter for my ALESIS HD 24 (8 channel) and as daw interface for logic or protools on mac book pro, is there something around?

If you're looking high quality, the previously mentioned Focusrite is nice - can't go wrong with MOTU either. I'd like to throw Presonus Digimax into the mix as well...good luck!

edit: reread original post - the Digimax will not act as a DAW interface; strictly 8 preamps A/D.

Last edited:
The MOTU is more or less a starting point, with regard to mic-pre sufficiency (& I say that as a MOTU user)

I currently use an Audient ASP008 as a pre front end for the Alesis HD24 (I also use a MOTU 828 mkII, though mostly not its pres, sort of as a link between the HD24 & computer) but the Audient does not function as a standalone computer interface.

Up near the top of the stack there are Lavry blue options that will combine mic pres with computer interface

Although I have not auditioned it yet perhaps a step above the MOTU gear is the RME UFX . .. it is stand alone and computer interface featuring 12 analog pres (2 ADAT I/Os)

just about preamp quality and converter,
i need it as stand alone, very often i need to bring with me a case with hd 24 and 8 channel preamp converter, to avoid mixers to monitor and many other tool, just a case with hd 24 a decent 8 channel preamp and since i have protools on my mbp i was thinking to buy a preamp usable as interface too, it seems that this motu is allright, i have read about focus rite saffire 56 but found many comment was sayng that motu is more relialable especially with macs

Motu IS good. Especially with macs. They really started to step up their customer service too. It was bad a few years back, but not anymore!

Back