50k Peavey pots for a combo amp

dgatwood

is out. Leave a message.
Does anybody have a source for Peavey 50k linear tone pots. I'm trying to replace the very old, very bent pots in my church's amplifier. I've found proper bracketed pots to replace all the others (4x 1M, 1x 10k), but I'm stuck on the four tone pots. I can't even find a non-bracketed 50k splined linear pot, much less a proper replacement.

I've been completely unsuccessful at finding an exact match for the pot, and my two attempts at substitute pots yielded A. a bunch of pots with too long an extension prior to the start of the shaft so it would stick out an inch in front of the unit, and B. a bunch of pots whose shaft was too big in diameter. I didn't know anyone had built pots with more than one diameter of shaft in my lifetime.... Apparently somebody does.... Aaaargh!

The original Peavey part number is 71190511. I'm doing this on my dime, so I really can't afford to keep getting stuck with parts I can't use and can't return. Any ideas?

BTW, if anybody wants about eight 50k pots, let me know. I can't imagine I'll ever have a use for anything with such a high resistance. I've never even seen a pot over 10k except maybe in my guitar, much less had any use for one.

If you can't find the exact ones, you can simply cut the excess shaft length off the too-long pots. Problem solved!

Edit: Er, misread. Should probably try to read a bit more in the future.

Have you called Peavey? They are amazingly good at supplying old parts.

Also, high value pots are useful between tube preamp stages . . .

If you can't find the exact ones, you can simply cut the excess shaft length off the too-long pots. Problem solved!

That works for smooth shafts, and indeed I did that to patch things together after the 10k reverb pot broke (twice), but the factory knobs have splined shafts (ridges), so you can't shove those on a smooth shaft pot no matter how you cut it (unless you can file down the diameter by half a millimeter so that they are no wider than the width of the shaft as measured in the grooves between the splines).

Does anybody have a source for Peavey 50k linear tone pots. I'm trying to replace the very old, very bent pots in my church's amplifier. I've found proper bracketed pots to replace all the others (4x 1M, 1x 10k), but I'm stuck on the four tone pots. I can't even find a non-bracketed 50k splined linear pot, much less a proper replacement.

I've been completely unsuccessful at finding an exact match for the pot, and my two attempts at substitute pots yielded A. a bunch of pots with too long an extension prior to the start of the shaft so it would stick out an inch in front of the unit, and B. a bunch of pots whose shaft was too big in diameter. I didn't know anyone had built pots with more than one diameter of shaft in my lifetime.... Apparently somebody does.... Aaaargh!

The original Peavey part number is 71190511. I'm doing this on my dime, so I really can't afford to keep getting stuck with parts I can't use and can't return. Any ideas?

BTW, if anybody wants about eight 50k pots, let me know. I can't imagine I'll ever have a use for anything with such a high resistance. I've never even seen a pot over 10k except maybe in my guitar, much less had any use for one.

Try here http://www.vibroworld.com/parts/tech17.html#ppot

Back