5 string bass question...

FWIW, last night I restrung my Epic 5 with Rotosound "66" Swing Bass strings with a .130 B for the first time, and now the B sounds and feels just like the other 4 strings. The effect that sparked this thread is, for me, on this particular 34" scale bass, totally gone. YMMV, of course, but I'm a happy camper.

What are the E-G? I keep meaning to try that.

Hmmm. Could it be that 4 strings is optimal for a bass, and adding a 5th is a mistake? Frankly, I am something of a traditionalist, when it comes to string count. Basses- 4. Guitars- 6, unless they are octived courses, ala 12-strings, or you are talking about a tenor.

5 string basses ARE a mistake

IMHO real basses have 4 strings as do the "most real" bass.... an accoustic double bass......
adding a low b string just complicates things when playing.... low freq is always a problem and its hard enough to tame the e string....

I might own one someday, maybe a fretless and a rick too... heck even an 8 string.... but probably 99% of music recorded has been done on 4 strings

but then again a 5 string bass is a freak of nature .... and this IS a freak show...lol

mellonhead

IMHO real basses have 4 strings as do the "most real" bass.... an accoustic double bass......
adding a low b string just complicates things when playing.... low freq is always a problem and its hard enough to tame the e string....

I might own one someday, maybe a fretless and a rick too... heck even an 8 string.... but probably 99% of music recorded has been done on 4 strings
To each his own, but don't try to tell a 5 string player that he is not playing a "real" bass. Low end is not that hard to control, but if if you are struggling to control the E string, quite possibly a 5 string with a low B isn't for you.

But speak for yourself; when I moved to a 5 string it opened new doors for me and I would never go back. I couldn't care less how much music has been recorded with 4 (or 5, or 6) string basses, and I care even less that "Jaco only needed 4 strings". It works for me.

To each his own, but don't try to tell a 5 string player that he is not playing a "real" bass. Low end is not that hard to control, but if if you are struggling to control the E string, quite possibly a 5 string with a low B isn't for you.

But speak for yourself; when I moved to a 5 string it opened new doors for me and I would never go back. I couldn't care less how much music has been recorded with 4 (or 5, or 6) string basses, and I care even less that "Jaco only needed 4 strings". It works for me.
Well said and done quite respectfully, also!:D

2004PRESCOTTdonSMALL.jpg
maria_with_bass.jpg

funny thread. My comment is this and since I skipped alot of the nonsense in this thread it may have already been addressed.

Think on this: If a four string was the end all to what a bassist needed, then why would there be so many people who play in drop D? :laughings:

even without having any extra notes a 5 string is worth it simply to be able play the low E on the 5th fret.

Back